SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#177114 - 04/27/05 07:11 AM Who deleted the thread?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
One minute it's there, next minute, it's gone. And I spent my time composing this response to it. I'm not one to run away from somebody bad-mouthing me.

As for deleting posts, if it was the moderator, okay, he has that right. Otherwise, it sucks to have forum software that allows a thread starter to delete a thread. I don't know who deleted it. All I'm saying is that the feature of allowing a thread-starter to delete a thread sucks. That should be moderators-only. People spend time contributing to a thread and poof, it's gone.

Here is my response I was going to post.

=

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
I agree with Donny. Everyone bitched and moaned about the BAR, and now we have OT's in the arranger section. Then Donnie voices his opinion and we have guys like SemiLive that totally dis-respect him? This place has gone to the dogs and I myself am very put off by the "element" that has creeped into this board. Where has all the dignified class gone?

... Meanwhile, guys like Donnie have been here for years and are totally disrespected. What a joke.

Gosh, you guys are something.

The joke is on you. Your “element that has 'creeped' into this board” stands by every single statement in his post. The subject (griping about off-topic) has been beaten to death.

You say I disrespected Donny? Hmmm. Should I address him as Sir or Mister? What? Your definition of disrespect certainly does not agree with mine. I thought it was very respectful. What else do you want me to do? He posted, I responded with my opinion. That's what you do in forums, right? I enjoy Donny's posts but honestly, I have no clue what he is griping about. As I said, he's looking at another forum, far as I can tell. OR, he doesn't like something else. I can't read his mind.

Your accusations against me are ridiculous. Here are the facts.

I had this forum show me the past ten days threads. Here's the score. I wasted ten minutes doing this.

GENERAL ARRANGER FORUM:

SemiLiveMusic -- 11 threads started, 1 off-topic (an off-topic which you guys have discussed often on here).

kbrkr -- 1 thread started

DNJ -- 1 thread started (this one)

I also pulled up The Bar forum threads FOR ALL TIME.

THE BAR FORUM:

SemiLiveMusic -- 11 threads started

kbrkr -- 6 threads started

DNJ -- 0 threads started

Of the three of us, who has contributed the most to help The Bar prosper? ME... the one who doesn't even favor having The Bar.

I also looked at your profile, kbrkr, and you have made 962 posts since your beginning 11-19-2002. My profile shows 442 posts since 8-28-2004. Who contributes more to the forum? I have made 55 posts per month, you have made 33 posts per month.

“The element that has 'creeped' on here.” Hmmm. You guys don't want new people on here? Seems to me you'd better hope you have newbies like me ask dumb questions. Or else, some day, you will look at a blank page.

I've been on the internet longer than 99% of the world. I visit several very active forums daily, much more active than this one. I love this one. So many helpful people and some interesting stuff. But there is an awful lot of bitching here. Every few weeks, someone brings up something silly as hell to me. It's like a bunch of teen-agers in some ways.

Just because you've been here a long time... what's a fella to do? Click on each poster's profile and tippy-toe when writing a post response if the person has been been here awhile? Your accusation of 'disrespect,' IMO, is silly.

This constant battle, it's almost like many of you want a private forum, not open to new people. You can do that. You can find plenty of sites to have your own forum. Open to only who you want to have access. Your own club. Nothing wrong with that.

I've always enjoyed your posts and I'll be your friend but I feel you are way out of line. It doesn't matter to me. We'll all be dead in fifty years and all this silly bitching won't mean a thing.

Peace.

#177115 - 04/27/05 02:17 PM Re: Who deleted the thread?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Cool it, Semi. This and most of the OTs lately aren't any different than the ones I read when I first came here a little over 2 yrs ago.

IMO the pre-2005 crew is of a different ilk (what the hell's ilk?) then the newer crowd. They don't see eye to eye and they don't care to play with each other.

I sensed a difficulty being recognized when I first arrived, but I gradually made friends. Honestly, some of your posts could irritate, but we are used to you now (or at least we put up with you - ha ha). I feel that no one wants to say it, but the old guys just don't like the new guys (oh boy, now I've gone and done it [hey, great song title]). I dare not say why - I may not even know, but I have my hunches.

Since you posted, and replied in Scott's thread too, I thought I'd add my two cents.

OK, let it fly.

#177116 - 04/27/05 09:41 PM Re: Who deleted the thread?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've made it a point to stay out of this silly stuff, but that's a broad, sweeping untruth "the old guys don't like the new guys". Semi has been to my house several times and has come to hear me play, and I'm an old guy. He borrowed the keyboard I borrowed from Hank B., another old guy, who's a relatively new guy here at the forum, although he's an old guy who just starting posting, so I don't know if that makes him old or new.
SemiBill is nearly as old as I am and I'm nearly as old as HankB and he is three days older than dirt.
Besides I thought CASSP was an old guy too! I thought all teachers were old. They were when I was young.
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 04-27-2005).]

#177117 - 04/27/05 10:14 PM Re: Who deleted the thread?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Jeez...thanks a lot Don. Now I don't know if I am an Old New Guy..... or a New Old Guy.

Eddie

[This message has been edited by btweengigs (edited 04-27-2005).]

#177118 - 04/27/05 11:31 PM Re: Who deleted the thread?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
No I didn't delete anything. It must have been the person who started the thread.

I can turn off allowing the originator of a thread to be able to delete it. Is that what you all really want ?

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 04-27-2005).]

#177119 - 04/28/05 01:01 AM Re: Who deleted the thread?
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Hi Nigel.

You'll find my reply regarding your question
in the new tread you've started. http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/010628.html
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#177120 - 04/28/05 04:31 AM Re: Who deleted the thread?
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Ditto

------------------
The old Newb

#177121 - 04/28/05 04:35 AM Re: Who deleted the thread?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I've only been here a relatively short time, so I must be a new guy, but I'm older than Don, Hank, Bill and Eddie. Damned, this is gettin' confusin'!

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#177122 - 04/28/05 05:07 AM Re: Who deleted the thread?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Yeah Don, I'm old. My 13 yr old students think I'm ancient. My driver's ed kids think I know where every Mc DOnald's in the state is located. But, my wife thinks I'm too young to retire. I'm 55.

I think I meant 'old' as established here at the SZ and 'young' to mean junior or relatively new members, but I feel a lot of the new members are younger (in age and experience)too.

Hey, it was a slow day yesterday and I didn't have anything else to say so I thought I'd rile up the troops.

EDIT - Nigel, you shouldn't have to change anything about the forum unless you want to. Although I would rather a person keep a thread on the Zone once others have started to reply, we need to understand that it's his/her perogative to delete. It's up to us to convince him/her to keep it on the Zone.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 04-28-2005).]

#177123 - 04/29/05 12:02 AM Re: Who deleted the thread?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I decided to turn off the ability to delete postings which eliminates the ability of the original poster to take out the entire thread.

All anyone can do now is edit their posting and remove the text. Any postings I see like this I'll kill for you when I see them.

The arguments for keeping the old system weren't nearly as compelling as changing to a system where you can only censor your own postings.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online