SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#175844 - 12/14/01 07:31 PM Advantages of the PSR740 over the PSR2000
Beakybird Offline

Here are some things that I miss from the PSR 740 now that I am playing the PSR2000:

Since I am utterly attached to using the 1-bar intro as a break during songs, I have had to find a quick way to change the intros after the song begins. This can done pretty quickly, but it is still annoying because this could be done effortlessly with my old PSR740. Even the the PSR2000 gives you more intros and endings, the PSR2000 gives you immediate access to only one intro and one ending. The PSR740 gives you immediate access to two intros and two endings.

The GROOVE feature can be applied on the fly on the PSR740. With the PSR2000, you are given a lot of great editing capabilities for putting a swing or taking a swing away from a style, but I miss being able to press one button and changing the style.

It was easier to change voice volume on the fly. If you want to immediately increase the volume of the main voice on the PSR2000, and you aren't in the main screen, you are in trouble. You have to exit out until you get into the main screen, press the tiny volume up button and scroll the wheel. On the PSR740, you could just press one button and scroll the wheel.

The voice harmony button was within easy reach on the PSR740. It is so far away on the PSR2000, that I have had to dedicate a pedal for activating and deactivating the voice harmony. Now I wish I had a third pedal to activate and deactivate the vocal harmony. At least this is close enough to the keyboard.

I miss having the mic input in the front of the keybaord. I, the singer, am in front of the keyboard, why should the mic input be on the other side?

I liked how quickly one could apply to DSPs to the main voice on the PSR740. I still can't figure out how to do this on the PSR2000.

I liked how I could immediately mute a part of a style on the PSR740 by just pressing one button. With the PSR2000 I have to first press the PART ON/OFF button.

I miss the dedicated mic volume knob on the PSR 740. With the PSR2000 I have to make sure I'm in the main screen, and then I have to press a tiny button and scroll up or down. Or else I have to reach in back of the keyboard.

The PSR2000 has dozens of pluses over the PSR740, but I wish Yamaha would make their new keyboard better in every way than its predecessor.

Larry

#175845 - 12/14/01 09:49 PM Re: Advantages of the PSR740 over the PSR2000
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am enjoying playing around with the PSR2000, but thought I would have it working on my gigs by now. Larry, the points you raise have also frustrated me a bit...and I am determined to find a way around some and live with the others. One other thing I can add to your list is the apparant inability of the 2000 to let us adjust the octave of one voice without affecting the layered or 2nd voice. Maybe there is a way, but I guess I will have to wait for Scott's book, because I don't see it in the manual.

#175846 - 12/14/01 10:19 PM Re: Advantages of the PSR740 over the PSR2000
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The octave adjustment is very easy for any of the parts. Push the "mixing console" button at the left of the screen.
Use the page buttons to select "tune" and you'll see a menu for octave tune for "left" "layer" and "main" parts.
They can all be set independently.

#175847 - 12/14/01 10:21 PM Re: Advantages of the PSR740 over the PSR2000
Beakybird Offline

That function is in the mixer somewhere. I'm sure I have seen it. Press DIRECT ACCESS then the part you want to change (Main, Layered, Left) and you will be in the digital mixing, tune section.
It took me a about 10 days before I could take the keyboard out to gigs. When our baby, born premature, was in the hospital and she would sleep 90% of the time when we would go to visit her, I would bring the PSR2000 manual and study its sparse and sometimes cryptic explanations of the keyboard's functions. This helped a lot. I really recommend reading the manual carefully. I also highly recommend pressing the DIRECT ACCESS button and then all of the other buttons to see what shortcuts are available.
To set up the PSR2000 for gigs, I recommend that with your favorite floppy styles you save them to the desired tempo and also the desired OTS including multipads, left voice, DSPs, voice volumes, multipad volume, left hold, etc. To save an OTS, you press MEMORY>OTS 1,2,3, or 4. You are asked if you want to save the changes. If you set OTS 1 and want to work on OTS 2, you can press NO, and wait until you have set all four OTSs. Then on the last one you press MEMORY>OTS 1,2,3, or 4, and select YES. Then you save the style either on the floppy drive by pressing NEXT and SAVE or on the USER drive by pressing save. You will be informed that this style already exists and if you wish to overwrite it. Press YES.

You should also dedicate 1 registration button to adjusting your global settings. This keyboard doesn't automatically remember your global preferences, like mic reverb, vocal harmony type, mic volume, pedal functions, etc. So get the keyboard set up the way you would want it when you start your show. Then press MEMORY>REGISTRATION buttons 1-8. After you press memory, you should select the settings you wish to be remembered. To save the configuration of Registration buttons 1-8, you have to save them to memory by pressing J (in the main screen) and then SAVE if you are saving it to user memory or NEXT and SAVE if you are saving it to floppy. Then you can create a name for your registration. Before you start your show, you press
1. J
2. The registration that has your global preferences.
3. The button that calls up your global preferences.

Now you can select your style of choice, adjust tempo and transpose, press the OTS of choice, quickly press the right buttons to trigger the style, and you are ready to go.

If you use a lot of floppies, having a plastic case of floppies velcroed to the side of the keyboard is very helpful.

Other setup tips might have to do with your particular approach to music. Even though the PSR2000 has some disadvantages compared to the PSR740, the keyboard is overall much much better. There are too many ways that it's better to go into. I only wish it were better in every way. I don't know why Yamaha would go backwards in certain features.

#175848 - 12/15/01 01:05 AM Re: Advantages of the PSR740 over the PSR2000
Anonymous
Unregistered

Excellent Larry & Uncle Dave. Lots there to digest... and so much better than I have found in the manual.

#175849 - 12/16/01 11:35 AM Re: Advantages of the PSR740 over the PSR2000
MR Bulk Offline

Loc: Mililani, Hawaii, USA
Dang it, thanks to Uncle Dave, there goes my chance to unload my near-new PSR740 on Larry and Bsharp!

Anyone interested?

------------------
Regards and Aloha,

Charlie
http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Wong_Songs/index-1.html

Charlie
http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/MR_Bulk/index-1.html

#175850 - 12/16/01 01:31 PM Re: Advantages of the PSR740 over the PSR2000
Anonymous
Unregistered

Still got my 740 and don't plan to part with it.

#175851 - 12/16/01 04:11 PM Re: Advantages of the PSR740 over the PSR2000
Beakybird Offline

I just sold both of my PSR740s. Last month I purchased two PSR2000s.

Larry

#175852 - 12/18/01 01:20 PM Re: Advantages of the PSR740 over the PSR2000
mbl Offline

Loc: el paso tx
Beakybird,

My 740 does not have enough charactres to display the full style name so It's difficult to determine correct name when loading styles that start with similar letters.

Did they fix that in the 2000 so one can read more of the style name when loading them?

Thanks.

MBL

#175853 - 12/18/01 02:59 PM Re: Advantages of the PSR740 over the PSR2000
Beakybird Offline

Yeah, I think you can see a few more figures. You can't store a phrase, but you can read longer names than you could before.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online