SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#174441 - 09/19/02 10:51 AM EVsxa100 hookup and cables
B2 Offline

Loc: Westfield, Massachesetts, USA
Hi all, Just received the new EV speakers (ahhh nice and light) along with the mackie 1501 powered sub (ohhh my acking back) yesterday. Questions for the new guy as follows:

1. I get the connection scheme. From mixer to sub , out the mid/high freq output (XLR) to the EV's. Simple question actually. There is an XLR "Mic input" and a quarter inch "Line input". the manual shows all connections as being XLR in nature...and mentions the line input utilizes neutrik combo connectors that takes both quarter inch and XLR 3 pin connections. It doesn't look like it will take both on the speaker...do I need to buy an adapter with the cables?? Sorry for the stupid speaker "101" question.

2. How much cable? I wanted to keep it short and keep the speakers fairly central..20 ft per side enough. I was told 40-50 ft by my buddy up here. Is there noticable signal degradation with the 40-50'?

3. I read Beaky Birds thread regarding quality of cables. Seeing I know zippo about them..besides I need them to hook everything up....Monster/planet waves...or a lesser quality cable anyone can recommend? Wedding (solo piano and vocals)and DJ applications.

thanks Guys Brian

[This message has been edited by B2 (edited 09-19-2002).]

#174442 - 09/19/02 10:30 PM Re: EVsxa100 hookup and cables
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by B2:
[B]It doesn't look like it will take both on the speaker...do I need to buy an adapter with the cables??[B]

The SXa100's will take 1/4 inch or XLR, but use the XLR out of the Mackie sub. It's balanced that way, and there will be less chance for noise.

[B] How much cable? [B]
Don't use 50 feet of XLR cable unless you're running to a snake somewhere other than the stage area. 20-30 foot cables are plenty. The shorter, the better for signal strength.

[B]Monster/planet waves...or a lesser quality cable anyone can recommend?[B]

Use high quality cables, but the expense of the monster cables is probably not nessisary. I use them in my studio, but not on the road. If the money is not an issue, by all means get the monster, but for the "real world" you will not hear enough of a difference, if ANY.

#174443 - 09/20/02 06:21 AM Re: EVsxa100 hookup and cables
B2 Offline

Thanks UD, what still remains unclear to me (anyone else feel free to answer) is, the only XLR looking "in" on the EV's is labeled "Mic In". The quarter inch doesn't look like it can take an XLR also. Do I use the "Mic IN" for my speaker cable???? And by the way Dave..I'll be in your neck of the woods in late October. It would be wonderful to be able to buy you lunch or dinner and get a chance to say hello.
Brian

[This message has been edited by B2 (edited 09-20-2002).]

#174444 - 09/20/02 12:08 PM Re: EVsxa100 hookup and cables
Uncle Dave Offline

Brian,
There are 2 connectors on the back of the EV.
One is mic, and the other is line. The mic is a dedicated XLR and is a hot signal. (mic level)
The other is a two-way connector that takes an XLR around the rim of the 1/4inch opening. Try it, you'll see that it's a nice, snug fit. A great design.

As for October - my neck of the woods is expanding from Philly to Trenton to the Jersey Shore these days, so give me plenty of notice of the dates, and we'll get together for sure ! You get the whole "road crew" here too ..... Fran C, Donny P, Mario and me ! The 4 Muskateers ! Come on down !!!!

#174445 - 09/22/02 11:46 AM Re: EVsxa100 hookup and cables
B2 Offline

I did try it finally this weekend...great design...it really fit...hmmmmm...

Looks like Oct 21 (Mon) thru thursday (24th)
I'll email when it gets closer..I look forward to seeing any or all of the infamous foursome...Cheers Brian

#174446 - 09/22/02 11:50 AM Re: EVsxa100 hookup and cables
Dnj Offline

hey B2, just email us and we'll hook you up. try for a thursday nite and I'll reserve a front row table for ya.

#174447 - 09/22/02 11:25 PM Re: EVsxa100 hookup and cables
Uncle Dave Offline

10/23 - I'll be at Diamonds in Trenton. Then you can see Donny on Thursday at his shore club !

#174448 - 09/23/02 12:01 AM Re: EVsxa100 hookup and cables
B2 Offline

DNJ and UD..Sounds like a plan..I'll e-mail as it gets closer!!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online