SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#17392 - 01/20/02 02:19 PM :::: Korg X5D / Cakewalk Pro audio 9/ Windows XP :::::
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello all !

I was wondering if someone has the same problem as me with these two softwares (cakewalk and XP): I've installed my KORG PCIF driver(windows NT/2000) but when I plug the X5D(whith the PC to Host toward the serial port COM) and choose the PCIF midi devices, the computer "freezes" (The cursor can't move and I can't play anything.) but not "bug", if I turn off the X5D, the screen is now OK.

If someone has already experienced this problem, he would be kind to enlight me...

Thx.

#17393 - 02/09/02 09:02 PM Re: :::: Korg X5D / Cakewalk Pro audio 9/ Windows XP :::::
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have X5D , XP , cakewalk 9 pro ,
i didnt install any drivers ( only the bank list) and all is ok .

if you reply , send to nightwish_7@hotmail.com

#17394 - 03/06/02 04:53 PM Re: :::: Korg X5D / Cakewalk Pro audio 9/ Windows XP :::::
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi larry,

I have had exactly the same problem with my NS5R and PCIF, and i discovered that the cable was bad (not build like described in the Korg documentation).

And this "bad" cable has worked fine under windows 98 for 2 years...

Philippe

#17395 - 03/10/02 12:15 PM Re: :::: Korg X5D / Cakewalk Pro audio 9/ Windows XP :::::
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am using a Korg NX5R sound module and Cakewalk Home Studio 9. I was using the Korg with a Windows 98 machine and it worked great. I began having the same "freezing" problem when I got a new computer with Windows XP as the operating system. Every time I turned on the Korg, the computer would lock up. If the Korg was powered up before booting up the computer, the boot process would freeze until I turned the Korg off. The problem was the interconnect cable from the "PC to host" connecter to the COM1 connector on the computer. The cable must be wired exactly like the cable in the Korg user's manual. In my case, the jumper between pin 7 and 8 on the COM1 end was not there. I had to build a new cable and the problem was solved.

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry2:
Hello all !

I was wondering if someone has the same problem as me with these two softwares (cakewalk and XP): I've installed my KORG PCIF driver(windows NT/2000) but when I plug the X5D(whith the PC to Host toward the serial port COM) and choose the PCIF midi devices, the computer "freezes" (The cursor can't move and I can't play anything.) but not "bug", if I turn off the X5D, the screen is now OK.

If someone has already experienced this problem, he would be kind to enlight me...

Thx.

#17396 - 03/17/02 04:24 PM Re: :::: Korg X5D / Cakewalk Pro audio 9/ Windows XP :::::
BassZn Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Larry

I had the same problem running my Korg N5EX into XP...never had any of these problems with Win98. Mind you, XP doesn't even want to know much of my other software either!!

Thanks Ralph for the advice. I looked on the XP driver readme file which mentioned the thing about the cable. A shame that the technical advisers at Korg UK don't know about it...they just stated that they "knew nothing about XP" and the best advice they could offer was to downgrade back to Win98 version 2 or ME..great..thanks guys!!!!

On the readme file, it mentions the use of a specific cable AG001. Anyone heard of that?? I'll try the rewire Ralph but how fiddly was the job??

Check out similar discussion on the Sound on Sound site.

Thanks for the the advice.

#17397 - 03/17/02 04:45 PM Re: :::: Korg X5D / Cakewalk Pro audio 9/ Windows XP :::::
Spacehead Offline

Loc: Pa. USA
The AG-001 cable you mention is availably from Korg for i think $20. Too bad that the minimum required order $$ is $25 or $30. Nice move Korg!

------------------
We were born to go as far as we can fly; Turn electric dreams into reality... -Hawkwind-

#17398 - 03/18/02 04:32 PM Re: :::: Korg X5D / Cakewalk Pro audio 9/ Windows XP :::::
BassZn Offline

A muso mate mailed me tonight with a reply that he received form Korg UK to his question whether an upgrade to XP would be a good idea in the light of problems experienced by others. Their reply was that Korg do not currently (or intend to) support XP and their advice was to stick with windows 98 or go for a midi option.

Also (a slight paradox), they stated that serial com ports are a thing of the past and PC companies are fazing them out.

OK. So how about a PC to USB connector then Korg - or is that too high tech for you dinosours?

Another Korg bites the dust!!

#17399 - 03/18/02 04:36 PM Re: :::: Korg X5D / Cakewalk Pro audio 9/ Windows XP :::::
BassZn Offline

Ralph - thanks for the advice on rewiring the cable. Tried to email for more details without any luck. Can you give us more info or mail me?

#17400 - 03/19/02 05:51 PM Re: :::: Korg X5D / Cakewalk Pro audio 9/ Windows XP :::::
Anonymous
Unregistered

I emailed Korg as I was interested in getting Windows XP -

I use my PC to Host cable connecting my N5 to my PC to do all my sequencing, and it all works fine under Windows 98 (first edition) I want to upgrade to Windows XP but my friend has the same set up as me (with XP) and his computer freezes whenever he plugs in the pc to host cable. Others also complain of this problem - see http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum12/HTML/001062.html

The above site points out that you need a specially wired cable for XP - this is strange as it works fine under Win98. My friend has used the new XP driver in your downloads section and it still doesnt work. I am dubious about spending £90 upgrading if my Korg will not work with the new version. Can you tell me if I am better off staying in the dark ages with Win98 or can
you tell me where I can get a specially wired cable.

THEY REPLIED WITH -

At present we do not officially support XP and as a hardware company, we are not alone in not having driver support for XP. Personally we would not recommend XP and you may find that other parts of your PC system will have problems due to lack of hardware drivers for component like modems, web cams scanners, printers, sound cards etc etc...

Also, The PC-I/F interface is obsolete now, and PC manufacturers are considering not putting the serial and parallel port on PCs any more, so if you want to use XP you should consider using the MIDI build in on the motherboard or soundcard, or purchase a USB midi interface.

Korg UK LTD - Technical Support

Yes, serial ports and parallel ports are being replaced by USB, and more recently USB 2.0 which is 10x the speed of original USB. Common sense dictates that if the PC-I/F interface is now obsolite, why not bring out one from the Korg (PC to Host port) to a USB port. Is this not possible, rather than having to splash out £60-£100 on a usb midi interface, which lacks the technology to edit patches using your PC. It seems like a BIG step backwards. Korg would be keeping all their old customers happy, which means they buy Korgs again and again, plus they'd be keeping up with the rest of them.

Simple solution
USB to Korg interface can replace PC/IF interface.

Given that we are in an age of space travel and computer technology that is surpassing itself day by day, hour by hour. Am I missing something here or is this so hard to do? Why dont Korg make a USB PC to host cable - come on!!!

Can anyone tell me why they can send people to the moon but they cant do this. Oh, maybe its because they don't care!

Next time Im getting a Roland and an Apple Mac!

Saxyman

#17401 - 03/31/02 12:22 PM Re: :::: Korg X5D / Cakewalk Pro audio 9/ Windows XP :::::
WS Offline

USB 2.0 is 40x faster than USB.

#17402 - 04/07/02 04:57 PM Re: :::: Korg X5D / Cakewalk Pro audio 9/ Windows XP :::::
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Ralph!

The problem was in the cable. After connecting the 7. and 8. pins with a small jumper on the serial end, all freezings disappeared Since I am not a hardware expert, it really was scary to make a step like that, but it works! And now I remember, that my cable is not a Korg product, because as far as I remember I bought it from Roland, so you might be wrong when you think that Korg does not do it's best -though it took them quite a long time to make this driver anyway.
Otherwise I am looking for someone using NS5R to share infos on the unit. I am eager to know, how people use RPN/NRPN messages, and I would be happy to share everything I've learnt on this instrument. Or can anybody tell me where I can find such forums?

redeye22

#17403 - 04/22/02 04:21 PM Re: :::: Korg X5D / Cakewalk Pro audio 9/ Windows XP :::::
WS Offline

http://www.synthzone.com/korg.htm for sites specific to your synth.

#17404 - 05/08/02 09:57 PM Re: :::: Korg X5D / Cakewalk Pro audio 9/ Windows XP :::::
Anonymous
Unregistered

Win98 is finally running almost every (good)audio software out there without a glitch !! Why does anyone wish to downgrade to XP ?? All the freebee programs for the X5D (based on Win 3.1) run beautiful on Win 98 which runs Cakewalk PRO 9.0 seamlessly.. In fact the X5D is the only synth (out of 26 connected)that does not interface thru my outboard midiports. Still using the homemade cable from an old Mac printer & serial mouse cables spliced together.!!! Hey by the way, I have over 50 banks of custom patches with the cakewalk .ins definitions written for them and text files to match should any of you X-series users what them. Comes in very Handy when you have 1,138 voice polyphony capabilities !!!

#17405 - 05/22/02 02:32 AM Re: :::: Korg X5D / Cakewalk Pro audio 9/ Windows XP :::::
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Ralph
The solution is a correct cable !
For Windows 2000 and XP
If you want to make a correct cable see
Pin connection, from NS5R Manual:
Mini DIN 8pin connected to D-Sub 9pin
3 ---------------------- 2
4 ---------------------- 5
5 ---------------------- 3
____________________________!--- 8
____________________________!--- 7
(on D-Sub 9pin: jumper between pin 7 and 8)
For numbering pin connection cable see: http://www.connectworld.net/connectors.html

[This message has been edited by vber (edited 05-22-2002).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online