SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#172416 - 08/07/05 10:05 AM Audition at church
KN_Fan Offline

Sorry if this belongs in the OT (a.k.a the bar) forum than this one.....

After being absent from the musical scene for a while- I decided to send an email to the church I go to in response to their ad for music volunteer.

The first informal audition went ok...I am thankful for my hearing ability to play on the fly as the guy played a few songs from the CD player.

I think he likes what he heard so next week I'm gonna have the more formal audition to play a duet with him and see how it goes.

He told me that they'll be able to make a good use of my 'talent' if the Sunday service thing didn't work out (it's a pretty big church of 6000 people- biggest Presbyterian church in the West Coast).

Thought I'd share my excitement with you guys!

Jonas

#172417 - 08/07/05 10:19 AM Re: Audition at church
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
That's Great! It lets you enjoy your music and share it with others.
DonM

#172418 - 08/07/05 10:38 AM Re: Audition at church
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Jonas (KN_Fan): Considering the fact that you're so nobly volunteering your services for the good of your church (no $ compensation) this looks to be an opportunity for you to get your feet wet musically again, and to gain the confidence & experience of playing for a large (6,000 person) crowd. Who knows, your next gig might be a stadium packed concert. You'd better get PAID for that one though. - Scott

#172419 - 08/08/05 01:52 PM Re: Audition at church
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
A few years ago I reluctantly applied for the church organist job at our local church. I met with the retiring man before he left and got his blessing - I played for about three more months. Then someone from the archdiocese came out and gave me an audition. I'm sure I failed - I couldn't read bass clef worth a plug nickel. For some reason the parish gave me a contract. I planned to stay for a couple of years while I searched for a teaching job (not music). August 15th will be my 34th anniversary as "music director."

#172420 - 08/08/05 03:17 PM Re: Audition at church
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Cassp
It is interesting that you mentioned not reading bass well. Since I am a former B3 nightclubber,I always got by fine with the chord method. I tried out for choir director a few years ago and got it. Everyone thought I made the organ come alive. I have been with about five different churches over the years now,and the only thing I don't do is classical pieces. Of course I don't play at the Crystal Cathedral either.

Bernie

#172421 - 08/08/05 03:33 PM Re: Audition at church
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Same here Bernie. I think my accordion and commercial organ background has helped. People positively comment about phrasing and timing. Yeah, they seem to like the way I play too.

#172422 - 08/17/05 07:44 PM Re: Audition at church
KN_Fan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Hi Jonas (KN_Fan): Considering the fact that you're so nobly volunteering your services for the good of your church (no $ compensation) this looks to be an opportunity for you to get your feet wet musically again, and to gain the confidence & experience of playing for a large (6,000 person) crowd. Who knows, your next gig might be a stadium packed concert. You'd better get PAID for that one though. - Scott

Well- not that I 'nobly' volunteered- more like they wouldn't pay me! LOL (j/k!!!)

So just an update: I never heard from the guy since the last time, so I emailed him..he was like "Oh so sorry- I couldn't pull up a small band for your audition next week, how about this...I'll give you our next songs packet and a CD for you to practice, skip this week and we'll just practice with the real band for the upcoming service"

So....instead of second/first week of September, I may be playing for last week for August instead...and this is the kicker...NO SYNTH..it's PURE ACOUSTIC...so what does this mean?? NO TRANSPOSE KEY!! I guess this is a good practice for me lol. I just found out that one of the music will be in C# and the other one is Eb...GREAT(sarcasm)

#172423 - 08/18/05 05:30 AM Re: Audition at church
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by KN_Fan:
...and this is the kicker...NO SYNTH..it's PURE ACOUSTIC...so what does this mean?? NO TRANSPOSE KEY!! I guess this is a good practice for me lol. I just found out that one of the music will be in C# and the other one is Eb...GREAT(sarcasm)

KN ... I'm sure you'll be great ... good way to get your 'chops' going ... "C#" ?!?!? ... funny thing ... I don't want to play in C# but don't mind playing in Db ?!? ... and I LOVE playing in Eb ... probably my favorite key ... Many (if not most) of the great old standards from the 'original' "fake book" (back in the mid - late 50's) were in Eb. ...
t.
t.

#172424 - 08/18/05 05:31 AM Re: Audition at church
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
.... sorry ... double post ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 08-18-2005).]

#172425 - 08/18/05 07:47 AM Re: Audition at church
KN_Fan Offline

This is what I don't understand though...we can't the band play it in D or C instead? Heck it's only half step down or up? We do have to accompany a few singers but I highly doubt that they can't adjust their voice to reach certain notes.

Comments from the experts?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online