SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#171733 - 08/07/06 05:07 AM Re: Darn you, Squeak
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Simple: Don't "EVER" buy a keyboard based on how good the demostrater performs with it. I can see your point Diki. Don's performance made Corey's look quite bland (in my opinion).

People should use good judgement and not buy this keyboard just because Don Lewis made it sound good. The board will shine (as will pretty much any keyboard) in the hands of a skilled player.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#171734 - 08/07/06 05:51 AM Re: Darn you, Squeak
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Gosh, Squeak. Did you use to be a political advisor for John Kerry ? Of course Diki is correct in his advice but haven't we heard it all before "try before you buy (sounds like a whine)", "the demo always makes it sound better than it is (or some variation of that)". The point is, this board is populated, for the most part, by 50+ yr. old, mature (somewhat ) adults who, if too dumb to not already know this, deserve whatever they purchase under these circumstances. And what about the person who is unable to audition a new piece of equipment (remember the Tyros2....how many of those puppies were purchased sight unseen). I'm guessing that hearing demos of those Super dooper Articulated voices may have had something to do with that. That's (one of) the purpose of a factory demo; to see if an instrument is CAPABLE of achieving the results you desire (the other is to sell merchandise). So Diki, while your desire to protect us from our uncontrollable gear lust is admirable, my wife already has that base covered. Hey, no hard feelings, man. I know your intentions were good. As is your advice. I just wouldn't waste it on the bunch of gear-crazed spendthrifts that inhabit this board. They aren't going to listen anyway.

Peace,

chas

#171735 - 08/07/06 06:48 AM Re: Darn you, Squeak
squeak_D Offline

My position is just that if you buy a keyboard based on what the demostrator does, and then later find yourself unhappy because you can't sound like the demo rep..., then why complain

Really it's quite simple..., what you get out of a keyboard is what you put into it I've heard some players do an injustice to the T2 while other more seasoned players are blowing the roof off with it. Same goes for the G-70, PA1X, and keyboards of all sorts.

I think a good example of what you put in is what you get out is in a Roland Demo I saw on one of their V-Drum sets. The demo rep stated that basically due to the high number of "nuances" used in the kit, that unlike some electric kits, that can hide "less than favorable" playing skills, this particular unit will react exactly like an acoustic kit--meaning if you're a lesser seasoned player, the output result will reflect that. I thought that was a cool way for Roland to say that this kit is designed for "pros".

I've talked to several T2 owners who bought the unit soley because of the SA voices. Which didn't surprise me either, because Yammie used a lot of the T2's promo focused around the SA voices--it was a sales hook

Never worked for Kerry, but did vote for him Don't get me started on Bush

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#171736 - 08/07/06 07:41 AM Re: Darn you, Squeak
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
My position is...or was....

Never worked for Kerry, but did vote for him

Squeak

Ok, so then you're familiar with the "flop" . Hey, just pulling your chain, man. Truth is, if you're ever down Tampa way, by all means, drop by....maybe you can put down a couple of rythym or guitar tracks for me....just no Country (sorry, man, no offense). No kids, though...can't tolerate them (except my own grands, and even them for only about an hour). In the meantime, I'll be inviting Don Lewis down for some private instruction .

Peace,

chas

PS: Can't we all just get along....probably not .

#171737 - 08/07/06 07:48 AM Re: Darn you, Squeak
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
squeak puts I've talked to several T2 owners who bought the unit soley because of the SA voices. Which didn't surprise me either, because Yammie used a lot of the T2's promo focused around the SA voices--it was a sales hook

One hell of a good sales hook then m8 because the SA sounds are just as good as they promised and the demos Yamaha originally posted, rather than some of the usual bull you see and hear from the arranger manufacturers before public release.

#171738 - 08/07/06 08:28 AM Re: Darn you, Squeak
squeak_D Offline

With all do respect, if I'm flopping on on an issue please point it out to me because clearly I'm missing something here.

I'm very supportive of your purchase, and comments I've made haven't been directed at your "purchase itself", but in general.

If you're a skilled player--then naturally watching a demo being performed by another skilled player "can" help in your buying decision. That's to be expected. My comments are directed as "general".

Don's demo is clearly what that board could sound like in the right hands (or even better hands). Naturally a less skilled musician may not produced the quality performace as he did. My general comment is on a whole about people buying based on the demo--with the conception that the "board" is going to make their chops sound great--when clearly it's the person who's actually sitting behind the wheel.

My comment was as a whole on how those who watch these videos then go to buy the product, then get pissed off because they can't make it sound like the demostrater.

Again my comments weren't directed at you cgiles, and if they appeared that way then I apologize.

Squeak

#171739 - 08/07/06 08:36 AM Re: Darn you, Squeak
squeak_D Offline

Craig_Uk,
We all buy our boards for different reasons. Peronsally I would never dropped that kind of money soley on a select few voices, but that's just me.

I agree that some of those SA voices are top notch. I won't argue against the quality some of the SA voices--especially the sax--that one is just mouth watering. I still say that regardless, the SA guitar voices are incorrect--and there's a definitive line there because simply the sounds either correct or it's not. Hopefully down the line Yammie will add more fetures to these voices that would allow the user to adjust specific nuances within the voices. Only time will tell for that though.

Squeak

#171740 - 08/07/06 09:48 AM Re: Darn you, Squeak
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Again my comments weren't directed at you cgiles, and if they appeared that way then I apologize.

Squeak

Apology not necessary. Half of what I say is usually tongue-in-cheek. Your job is to figure out which half. Hint....check for smily faces.

chas

#171741 - 08/07/06 02:09 PM Re: Darn you, Squeak
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Hopefully, chas, after you've mastered the VPP, Roland will hire you to demo it at NAMM, because, if that guy was the best they could come up with........

#171742 - 08/07/06 02:35 PM Re: Darn you, Squeak
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Hopefully, chas, after you've mastered the VPP, Roland will hire you to demo it at NAMM, because, if that guy was the best they could come up with........

Sounds like a good gig, but first I'll have to put a contract out on that Don Lewis guy...hey, maybe I could hire Fran, or better yet, Donny; he could whack him over the head with that new G70...or better yet, tie him up and make him listen to it for four straight hours (preferably with OS 1.0) .

chas

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online