SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#171191 - 04/12/02 09:30 AM PSR2000? Bugs?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi-

I am looking into buying a PSR2000 from a private party. But, I read on some groups that the current model in the market is buggy and not all of the features are fully functional.

As I may not be having manufctr wrnty, I am just wondering if I can go ahead and buy it for around $1K. Can I update the firmware after Yamaha releases the new firmware?

Thanks much in advance,

0rcus

#171192 - 04/12/02 09:47 AM Re: PSR2000? Bugs?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Orcus...
If you are gonna spend 1K on a used one with no warranty, spring for the few extra bucks and get new with warranty. The used would have to be a much better deal before I would go with it.
Eddie

#171193 - 04/12/02 10:45 AM Re: PSR2000? Bugs?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Orcus,
The PSR2000 is NOT upgradeable from software, as it was advertised. The OS system is on a chip. There are a few minor bugs but nothing that really affects the functionality of the keyboard.
I would most definitely buy from a dealer you trust, such as George Kaye or Dan O'Neil, and be sure you get a keyboard that was produced recently. It will have the latest OS already installed. Also be certain they include the Survival Kit, because it contains a free 2-year parts and labor warranty extension.
$1000 for a used 2000 is not a great deal.
DonM

#171194 - 04/12/02 11:22 AM Re: PSR2000? Bugs?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Though the PSR2000 does have a few minor quirks, I still think it's a fantastic totally professional sounding KB and I HIGHLY recommend it! Afterall, I recently sold a Technics KN5000 that cost me 3x as much (when new) and KEPT the PSR2000. You figure.

I suggest you purchase a BRAND 'new' one for UNDER $1K. Because the PSR2000's OS is not flash ROMable. Be sure to make sure you have the latest OS version BEFORE you leave the store though.

You can easily check the OS version by pressing/holding C#2, F2, G#2 simultaneously (C#maj triad chord) while turning on the keyboard. Use Tempo + / - and Star/Stop (Accompaniment) buttons to perform the various tests. The latest version I'm aware of is:

Main Boot: 1.03
Main Program: 1.20
All others: 1.00

Perhaps George Kaye and Dan O'Neil can perform the test on their latest PSR2000 shipments received in their store to see what version they reflect, and report back their findings here.

Scott

#171195 - 04/12/02 11:45 AM Re: PSR2000? Bugs?
ronlee Offline

Loc: arlington va
you have got me thinking...i recently purchased a psr740 new for a great price ($600) and i'm wondering if I can do the same thing to test the OS on it. If so, would anyone happen to know the last OS version that was put out for the 740?

#171196 - 04/12/02 03:23 PM Re: PSR2000? Bugs?
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi orcus,
Echoing the opinions of my fellow members (and friends) Please buy new ,surf the web you can get a new 2000 for less than 1K and make sure the "Survial-kit" is included in the deal. The bugs are "minor" and should not be a problem. It`s a good KB not the best ,but the best for the money ! Having owned "Yamaha" KB`s in the past , the sound is very good, however I have noticed that the "styles" are a little "off " , But can be "tweecked" . Yamaha has packed a bunch of tecnology into this KB and you should get many years of "happy playing"
SO BUY NEW --O-BTW , Welcome to our family, and as I like to say "our corner of the web" Best of luck, let us know how you make out!
jedi

#171197 - 04/12/02 05:53 PM Re: PSR2000? Bugs?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Orcus,
I informed everybody on the forum that Yamaha was running a March sale on PSR2000's to their dealers. On April 1, the pice when back up to the original price. The reason for the sale was to help Yamaha reduce inventory for their end of fiscal year reports (March 31). I have 3 new keyboards which I received the last week of March. I only ship in the US and shipping is extra. These PSR2000's will have the latest system chips inside. The price we were offering these at were well below the Yamaha MAP price of $1195.00. You can contact me if you are interest and I can give you the special "March" deal! Once these are gone, the price will be back to $1195.00. These units include the survival kit which includes the 2 year parts and labor warranty, headphones and sustain pedal. With the ability to buy a new unit with a two year warranty at such a reduced price, this might be your best bet.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
(Retired 2021)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online