SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#169962 - 09/13/05 10:05 AM O.T. wireless network??
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I was in Best Buy the other day looking for a new laptop, and found one with wireless networking. I now have three computers networked in my home studio/office all on cable modem one is a laptop I would replace.
But the kid at best buy told me if I add the wireless I have to have them come to my house and put in a new router and then have them encript it...for $150 for 2 computers.
Now my question why can't I keep my network the same just add a wireless whatever that talks to the laptop, that way when the laptop is off the wireless would be off or no doesn't it work that way.
He gave me the story about if my neighbor got onto my wireless and downloaded something illegal I'd be responsible.
I don't really care if the accesses the internet but it would be nice to transfer files between computers while not being in the same room.

Thanks for any help you can give

------------------
qqqwq@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 09-13-2005).]

#169963 - 09/13/05 10:36 AM Re: O.T. wireless network??
kkmusic2001 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
If you buy a laptop with wireless capability (I have an IBM Centrino) is must also have a network card in it as well. So you should just be able to connect it to your existing wired network without a problem.

I think he is BS'ing you. Your new laptop will be capable of wireless but you will simply not be using that functionality (for now).

If an when you want to use that functionality you can simply purchase a wireless router from a local store and configure it yourself. You do not need anyone to come and do it for you. Its quite straightforward and you do not need to pay $150 for that.

#169964 - 09/13/05 10:48 AM Re: O.T. wireless network??
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Mike
If your laptop came with wireless networking it will already contain encryption software, you just have to set it up, use WPA if possible, if not use at least 128bit WEP.
When you buy a wireless network card or dongle for your other computer, it will also come with encryption software, so you can just set it up.
If someone hacks into an insecure wireless network, and uses it for criminal intent then depending what country you live in, you could be held responsible, you will have to check your local regulations.
If you have Windows XP SP2 then you can use the inbuilt Wireless Networking Wizard to set it up, otherwise use the software that came with your wireless hardware.
Unless you want to be able to access the Internet from any computer, without having to have another one on, then you will not need a router with modem built in, or connected to it. So just set up the encryption and enjoy yourself.
Hope this helps.

Bill

#169965 - 09/13/05 11:30 AM Re: O.T. wireless network??
mikeathome1 Offline

I already have a router with three computers connected can I just add a wireless router to that one on one of the empty connectors, and I say that just because I'm lazy and don't want to take everything apart and start all over again. I installed this network myself.
the laptop I'm looking at says this "Integrated Atheros wireless LAN (802.11b/g); Marvell 10/100Base-TX Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector" I could hook it up through the RJ-45 but I like the wireless idea if I don't have to pay a fortune and jump through hoops.
I hate dealing with those young guys at Best Buy they treat ya like an idiot and try and baffle ya with bullsh**t.

#169966 - 09/13/05 12:37 PM Re: O.T. wireless network??
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
As far as I understand from your description, the guy's "story" makes sense, despite the fact it may not be the ONLY solution. The "wireless laptop" has a wireless receiver ONLY (built in). You will always be able connect your laptop to your existing network, with an ethernet cable (RJ-45). However, if you want to connect wirelessly to a network, you have to have an emitter (access point) somewhere. Normally this would be done with a wireless router (which is a router plus an access point built in the router). That's why he is suggesting you to change your present router for a new one. Many models of wireless routers have several RJ45 ports, so you would always be able to use it in the way you use you present router as well (plus the Access Point possibility).

There is another slightly less expensive suggestion: keep you present router and connect to it, in addition, an external Access Point emitter (many of these external devices can work in several modes - emitter, receiver, repeater). I hope my explanation was clear!

-- José.

#169967 - 09/13/05 02:44 PM Re: O.T. wireless network??
mikeathome1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Route 66:

There is another slightly less expensive suggestion: keep you present router and connect to it, in addition, an external Access Point emitter (many of these external devices can work in several modes - emitter, receiver, repeater). I hope my explanation was clear!

-- José.[/B]

Yes that sounds like what I want then I can turn it off or unplug it when I am not useing the wireless feature? am I correct? and the rest of the system will stay the same.
If I go to a wireless router, even though it has the RJ-45 plugs, is it still emitting the wireless signal even when I don't have the wireless laptop around? I want to, when I'm not using the wireless, disconnect it.

boy I hope I'm not asking real dumb questions her but you guys have all ready helped me understand so much more than the vodoo the saleskid was trying to tell me.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 09-13-2005).]

#169968 - 09/13/05 03:58 PM Re: O.T. wireless network??
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Mike
Don’t worry about emitters etc, as it is fully automatic to comply with the IEE standards.
If you wish to connect a Wireless Router to your existing Router then that will be no problem, so long as you first check to see whether your existing router has an RJ45 socket for this purpose, if it does not, then you can still connect it to one of the normal RJ45 sockets, but you must use a network crossover cable, not a standard network cable.
All wireless routers by default, transmit an SSID (Service Set identifier) so that other wireless units in the area know its there, and the users of these wireless units (Laptops etc) will be able to choose if they want to connect to it.
If your wireless network has encryption enabled then the users will also need the code to get in. (If they don’t have it then they are not getting in to your network)
You can disable the SSID signal so that no one can pick it up, but first connect your laptop to the wireless network so that they can identify each other, once this is done the SSID signal is not required to connect.
Hope this helps.

Bill

[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 09-13-2005).]

#169969 - 09/14/05 05:30 AM Re: O.T. wireless network??
mikeathome1 Offline

thanks for all the help and I'm glad you mentioned the crossover cable, it just so happens I have one from when I was hooking up two computers directly, without a router.
But that little bit of info probably saved me a weeks worth of searching and messing around to see why it wouldn't work with a regular cable.
thanks to all of you for your help I think I'm gonna try it.
But now of course the laptop that I wanted is sold out even on the website.
I got time, I'll wait.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online