SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#169641 - 08/11/05 11:59 AM Bose ver 2 how can I tell?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Does anyone know if there is a way to tell if the PAS has ver 1 or 2 installed? I just ordered one from Musicians friend, free shipping, no tax, one sub. But all they can tell me is this shipment came in aug 1 2005. Bose sent me an email saying if I buy directly from them they are shipping ver 2. But didn't tell me how to tell the difference.
I don't have the unit yet but I was wondering if there is an obvious way to tell what ver the software is.
I want you guys to know I've never seen this system but if Donnie and Gary are convinced so am I.

------------------
qqqwq@hotmail.com

#169642 - 08/11/05 12:04 PM Re: Bose ver 2 how can I tell?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The last I head, the updated OS and presets would not be installed on new units until the end of September. However, when yours arrives, you'll find the update is a snap--just follow the directions on the Bose web page.

The way to tell if the unit has the updates is to look at the presets folder that's just inside the base unit's cover. If there is something in #57, then you already have the updates and there will be no need to download the files.

You're gonna love what you hear,

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 08-11-2005).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#169643 - 08/11/05 12:06 PM Re: Bose ver 2 how can I tell?
Dnj Offline

You'll have to install it yourself its not in production yet...it an easy upgrade.....just follow the instructions on the web site....
I'm using EQ 05 and it sounds great ....but in version 2 they say 55 & 57 ae very good also....good luck with your new PAS system....dont forget to use two inputs left and right outputs form your KB its a much fuller sound.

#169644 - 08/11/05 12:29 PM Re: Bose ver 2 how can I tell?
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
The shipment that arrived to Portugal in mid June had already version 2 installed. I guess that in the USA they have more 'old' units in stock. On the Bose site, you'll find both lists of presets, it'll be easy to check which is yours.

-- José.

#169645 - 08/11/05 12:31 PM Re: Bose ver 2 how can I tell?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I ordered the double bass unit from Musician's friend also.

Are you saying use both inputs because it makes the Yamaha stuff sound fuller, or do you mean everyuthing?

Also which presets are the best for the arrangers?

On the Bose forum, i was told to use ch1 for a direct mic and select the preset for that mic, use ch2 for the keyboard with the appriote preset then use ch3 for the ouput of my mixer.

Also how many players can you get into one of these things ( using a mixer of course ) until it becomes too much for the unit?

#169646 - 08/11/05 01:42 PM Re: Bose ver 2 how can I tell?
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I can't speak about the Yamaha stereo situation but, it is not at all necessary for me to tie up both preset channels with my KN7000.I find it much more advantagious to use one for the kb and the other for my mic with the proper preset, as Bose recommends.

As far as the number of insruments being fed into the PAS is conscerned, it is not a matter of overloading the system. Bose says it creates the "cocktail effect". This is where the audience can't discern where the sound is originating from. Ideally,every member has his own unit,but for all practable purposes this is not the norm. I am sure there a marketing consideration in play. Just be careful with the step gain when using a mixer. The trim should be pretty well down to nothing on Channels one or two.

Bernie

#169647 - 08/11/05 03:10 PM Re: Bose ver 2 how can I tell?
mikeathome1 Offline

What about Gary and Donnie and others do you guys sing through your keyboards to use the boards effects and harmoniser?
I have a voiceworks and a sonic maximiser but I'm thinking of just going right through the Tyros with my Beta 57, at least when I leave the house. Less is more, as the saying goes.

#169648 - 08/11/05 03:52 PM Re: Bose ver 2 how can I tell?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
In my case, I singing through a Digitech Vocalist VR and firing that into the keyboard's Line-In. Then everything comes out of the keyboard's right and left outputs and goes into channels #1 and #2 of the Bose. Both channels are set at #57 presets, which works well with the PSR-3000 and Tyros.

Be sure to set the volumes per the instruction manual--this is very important and provides you with the best quality sounds. As for the remote, I set both the high and mid at approximately the 2 O'Clock position and the bass at the 12 O'Clock position on both channels. The main volume control rarely gets above the 10 O'clock position.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#169649 - 08/11/05 04:38 PM Re: Bose ver 2 how can I tell?
mikeathome1 Offline

I'm pretty excited I was looking over "A day with DNJ" and this thing looks alot bigger than I thought, height as well as the base looks big I hope it fits in the little corner I have picked out. I have an eon sub there now with a kc 300 on top. Also It looks tall, well I suppose a hole in the ceiling isn't that unreasonable.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 08-11-2005).]

#169650 - 08/11/05 07:45 PM Re: Bose ver 2 how can I tell?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
When assembled, it requires a minimum of 7ft from floor to ceiling. I have used it at two venues where the ceiling above the stage was not 7ft. I had to put it on the floor next to the stage. It was about 6ft. from me...but it worked great. And with no speakers on stage, it had more than a few scratching their heads wondering where the sound was coming from.

Eddie

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online