SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#168907 - 12/13/01 11:30 AM What is an arpeggiator?
ComposerRyan Offline

Hi, I was reading about the General Music Equinox. When I kept on reading about its features, it said it is also an arpeggiator. I've been wondering ever since, what is an arpeggiator and what is it for? I would really like some replies if you have the time...because I really want to know what this is.

Well, I look forward to hearing more about the 'arpeggiator' and thanks for replying,
Ryan

ALSO, PLEASE BE SURE TO VISIT THE WEBQUAD NETWORK AT:
http://www.webquad.com

CONTACT ME AT:
composerryan@webquad.com

#168908 - 12/13/01 03:42 PM Re: What is an arpeggiator?
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Maybe I am totally wrong here, and then you
all can have a good laugh... +

Some time ago I could see a button on a
Kawai (I think it was) keyboard who made a
automaticly "solo arpeggio" around the chord
you played.
You could put your right hand in the pocket,
and only play left hand chords, and a "melody"
was played automaticly as a kind of "solo".
As I said, I'm not sure if it is the same....
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#168909 - 12/13/01 03:51 PM Re: What is an arpeggiator?
ComposerRyan Offline

Well thanks a lot for the comment, I'll see if I can get other information about the arpeggiator. But I bet you are right about it being a solo part, but since we're both not sure about it, I am going to ask those who read this to please respond and leave their comments!

I would really like to know what an arpeggiator is, so anyone else, please feel free to respond. Thanks a lot,
Ryan

CONTACT ME AT:
composerryan@webquad.com

#168910 - 12/13/01 05:09 PM Re: What is an arpeggiator?
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
I got this explanation from a web page:

An arpeggiator is a tool/feature available in some hardware synthesizers and also in software form, which allows the user to play alternating notes or chords automatically based on input, most often from a midi controller. An electronically created arpeggio. Arpeggiation is also available in some sequencer software and virtual instruments.

I had a Kawai keyboard that had this on it and I believe my MZ-2000 had it also.

-Linda

#168911 - 12/13/01 09:45 PM Re: What is an arpeggiator?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Gunnar Johnny is on the right track for sure. An arpeggio can be described as a chord played one note at a time. In other words, instead of strumming or striking all of the notes at once, the player ( or keyboard in this case ) picks each note individually. An arpeggiator can take a note( reading it as a chord type ..usually it was in the major scale as I remember from my MZ2000 ) or a chord itself that you play, and plays it one note at a time at regular intervals ( 1/4 notes/ or 1/8 notes or..etc ). Which direction it plays, ( up, down, or both up and down )and how many octaves it covers is normally predetermined by the user and has to be setup beforehand. Usually in an arpeggiator, these notes are played in a very mechanical fashion ( perfect timing, with no rests or change in note lengths in between ), but there could be some variations depending on the types of arpeggios your keyboard will produce. Hope this gives you some idea.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 12-13-2001).]

#168912 - 12/14/01 07:14 AM Re: What is an arpeggiator?
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
The Korg Triton (which I use to own) has two arpeggiators. Each could be set independently to create a sort of style (much like those in our arranger keyboards). Each arpeggiator affects only a few voices or sounds, and even by combining both of them there is no comparison to the built-in styles on an arranger.

Arpeggiators are used as shortcuts for people that use sequencers. It helps them avoid the tedious task of programming every note of every groove they make. I guess you could say that arpeggiators are "groove" makers. They don't play melodies.

Regards,
Stevizard

#168913 - 12/14/01 12:06 PM Re: What is an arpeggiator?
ComposerRyan Offline

Thanks a lot for the help everyone...an arpeggiator sounds interesting. That information is very helpful to me and I appreciate it very much. I would like to actually try using an arpeggiator to see how it works for myself. Do you guys use an arpeggiator often or do you find it useless? Just wondering because I've never heard it really mentioned before.

Well, thanks a lot for the help,
Ryan

CONTACT ME AT:
composerryan@webquad.com

#168914 - 12/14/01 12:33 PM Re: What is an arpeggiator?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
As far as I know, arpeggiators today are used only in music genres like techno or trance or whenever is important to have a "robotic" effect.
Ryan, are you really sure you want one?

#168915 - 12/14/01 01:11 PM Re: What is an arpeggiator?
wizboy Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
I would agree with Dreamer.
I spent a few hours playing with the Roland Fantom (could be a great addition to my VA7 by the way ) and its arpeggiator function can quickly help creating dance/new age/technos type of music. It's great and nice but I'd still need my arranger

#168916 - 12/14/01 02:43 PM Re: What is an arpeggiator?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
(...smart people tend to own a VA 7...I wonder why?)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online