Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#168502 - 01/15/06 04:46 PM Re: The Final Countdown demoed on Roland G-70
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
The old saying," Criticism is the unconscious tribute mediocrity pays to success" certainly applies here...or, in plain English,"if someone is trying to kick your ass...then you must be ahead of them"
I don't hear any of the critics posting their arrangement of this tune... if they are so ready to suggest how it should be played.
Ian

Don't get me wrong. I didn't have a problem with the author's rendition of the tune. I think I stated that clearly in my first post. I just don't think the instrument that was used quite fits the tune. That's just my opinion, nothing else. Doesn't mean I'm right or wrong. But, since we've now broached the subject, it doesn't sound to me like a very accurate rendition musically either.

Yes, those of us that frequent this forum are ALL aware that it was made with a style from arranger that wasn't tailor made for the song, but then again mostly everyone in a potential target audience won't know that or care about it. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't play my stuff for an arranger playing audience. Let's forget that it was made on an arranger for a minute and let the interpretation of the song stand on it's own merits. Play it for someone you know who doesn't understand, or even try it out on another musos forum, like HC or KVR for instance, and see what kind of response it gets. I think that might be a much better test.

That said.. It seems like quite a few folks get offended when someone offers their honest opinion about something that was put out there in public for critique in the first place. C'mon don't go with " he didn't ask for criticism " . That's just lame. You put it out there and you expect feedback, and feedback is exactly what you should get. Oh wait.. Maybe it should come with the disclaimer "Please don't comment if your opinion of the piece doesn't include a glowing review".

I also can't help feeling that..."There it is again".. That same lame argument or response of " Let's hear your stuff or rendition ", when the respondent doesn't offer a glowing commentary. Since I've never tried to play it in the first place, I guarantee you that I could not play this entire song accurately without some practice, but if I thought it was worth the effort ( and it isn't because I'll never play it.. it's just not my style ) I surely would get it down.

I don't get that mentality at all. Some here are musicians, other are composers, some ar primarily singers, perhaps others strongest suits have to do with engineering in the studio, some may be strong in all of these areas, while others are relative beginners in any of the fields of music. So tell me, exactly what qualifications does someone need in order to state what they like and don't like about a song, and who decided those rules in the first place ? Was it you Ian, and did you anoint yourself or did we collectively decide that you should be our group conscience ? Should anyone who offers any critique be required to have the ability to do a better rendition ? read ing what you stated I guess none of us should give any credibility to any of the pro critics either, realizing that many probably can't do a replication of a work that they might comment on ? I think Squeak has every right as a member of this forum to give his honest opinion without someone flaming him to shreds for it. Will you ask a non musician who potentially may not like it for their rendition as well ?

If it makes the G70 guys feel better, I don't think the Tyros version sounds like the original either, and this came from a midifile that should at least be fairly close to being musically correct. The guitar doesn't sound right to me, and the lead voice is definitely not analog sounding. I don't know what synth the original used, I'm guessing a Jupiter or Juno, but I pretty much know when something either uses a real or modeled analog ( Final Countdown certainly did ) or when it sounds like an accurate rendition of an analog, and that ain't quite it. There I said it... so now both groups can be p'o d at us Squeak ..lol

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-15-2006).]

#168503 - 01/15/06 04:48 PM Re: The Final Countdown demoed on Roland G-70
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
---------------------------------------------
Mr. Squeak,
Your response: "If you got the balls to post a song for criticism then you better have even bigger balls to take that criticism whether it be negative (or) positive" can be taken from another perceptive...
If you have the balls to criticize someone else's work,you should, at the very least, have the balls(and skill) to do something better.In other words,if someone is doing something wrong,then please show them the correct way.
Otherwise it is just all talk...and talk is cheap...
I don't believe the poster asked for criticism. Asking a "working musician" what he thinks about critics,is like asking a statue how it feels about pigeons.

Ian

Re-read my post. Not at any point did say anything negative about his version of this song. I didn't make any comments as to how he composed it either. I just commented that I felt it was a "poor" song choice to showcase the G-70's abilities.

My statement about posting for comments was "in general", and I'll stand firmly behind what I said.

How sad is this, and childish can a person be to say "well let's see you do it better". What is this the third grade????? Imagine if all the music stars out there said the hell to their fans, and if you don't like this song lets see you do it better. Plus just imagine if the rising stars working with producers who said sorry kid that song is crap say, well let's see you do it better................ Keep up that mentallity if you like, it only hurts you.

People need to FULLY read posts before responding. Yeah I made that statement and I'm sticking to that. At least I was honest about it.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#168504 - 01/15/06 08:10 PM Re: The Final Countdown demoed on Roland G-70
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
. I believe that someone should never criticize someone's hard work or playing in public(like on a forum). That creates embarrassment and feelings of humiliation, and causes resentment rather than change..

No wonder there are so many problems with this site,and so many people leave.

Nothing produces stress like criticism. Offering constructive criticism to someone has its place.... but I think it would have much better effect if done in private if it were the negative kind...

I believe criticism should be given only whenever it is requested or when it is truly required? It is plain to see it wasn't requested on this post...just read it. I believe in having respect for other people's work....and do my criticizing in private.
Mr.Squeak,

" I just commented that I felt it was a "poor" song choice to showcase the G-70's abilities."

Saying it was a "poor song" choice infers that you know better than the player....that seems rather negative, and critical of his ability to choose correctly.
" I'll stand firmly behind what I said."

Standing "behind" your statement is a good choice of words.
--------------------------------------------
"How sad is this, and childish can a person be to say "well let's see you do it better". What is this the third grade????? "

It is not,"let's see you do it better". It is more like"if you are competent enough to point out me what is wrong,than you should be competent enough to show me the correct way." That's pretty basic stuff and very far from childish.
" Yeah I made that statement and I'm sticking to that. At least I was honest about it ".

Does your "honesty" justify public embarrassment?
Mr.Bluesplayer,you said,

C'mon don't go with " he didn't ask for criticism " That's just lame "

Bluesplayer,pay attention....there was no asking for criticism....read the post. The lameness seems to be in your statement.

And you also said "Was it you Ian, and did you anoint yourself or did we collectively decide that you should be our group conscience ? "

Bluesplayer, You seem to be in charge of the group conscience judging by the following statement you made.
You said,"You put it out there and you expect feedback, and feedback is exactly what you should get. "

Bluesplayer,do you somehow know what everyone else expects ..... even when they don't ask?

You said,"If quite a few folks get offended"
Bluesplayer,maybe there must be something amiss if it's "quite a few"getting offended.Maybe they really are offended? Don't give me the excuse that they shouldn't be...that's why people leave.Dish out the bad stuff in private...is that too much to ask?

My point is that negative public criticism serves no purpose......very few people like it...read my comments to Squeak

You guys don't like it done to you...like I'm doing right now.

I love this forum....and thanks for reading this far.

Ian

#168505 - 01/15/06 09:02 PM Re: The Final Countdown demoed on Roland G-70
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
removed at poster's own request for being too unimportant

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-16-2006).]

#168506 - 01/15/06 09:09 PM Re: The Final Countdown demoed on Roland G-70
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Whatever...

#168507 - 01/16/06 12:12 AM Re: The Final Countdown demoed on Roland G-70
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi There
Doesn’t do much for me, as the sounds stray to far from the original, and I always prefer a tune to be produced in the same style/sound of the original or a total change, thus making it a totally fresh arrangement.

Bill

#168508 - 01/16/06 12:43 AM Re: The Final Countdown demoed on Roland G-70
Wis Offline

For me it is not so important which instru-
ments are used in a song. The freedom of
making music is to play it how you like it.
The same song can be played in thousand
different ways and they can all be good.

#168509 - 01/16/06 12:57 AM Re: The Final Countdown demoed on Roland G-70
STAM Offline

Loc: Brussels, BELGIUM
Nice song for me, even if it is not my genre of music.
Very nice drums sound, well equilibrated.
Very nice lead sound (for me).
Even if it is a keyboard, to me it sounds good and live, better than some T2 songs.
Stam

#168510 - 01/16/06 08:20 AM Re: The Final Countdown demoed on Roland G-70
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Well reading all of the posts to nielshs's Final Countdown song I think we can all come to the conclusion that more people liked it than disliked it.
This is a forum so it's a free for all when it comes to being positive or negative. I've posted positive comments to people's postings in the past because I didn't want to upset their feelings, but if everyone was to post positive comments on here all of the time, everyone's heads would be up their backside by this time next year, so in future I'll stick to posting what I feel.
If it's bad I'll state so, if I think it's good then I'll praise the poster

#168511 - 01/16/06 08:38 AM Re: The Final Countdown demoed on Roland G-70
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi There
Doesn’t do much for me, as the sounds stray to far from the original, and I always prefer a tune to be produced in the same style/sound of the original or a total change, thus making it a totally fresh arrangement.
Bill

The first half of this statement is what has brought about DJs over 'live' musicians ... it's too bad there doesn't seem to be more of an audience for the second half of the statement ...

t.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online