#167800 - 02/14/02 08:01 PM NEW SONGS from J. SMIES - links
MR Bulk Offline

Loc: Mililani, Hawaii, USA

Charlie
http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/MR_Bulk/index-1.html

#167801 - 02/14/02 08:31 PM Re: NEW SONGS from J. SMIES - links
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Great work John. "Vincent" is one of my favorite songs.
DonM

#167802 - 02/15/02 01:26 AM Re: NEW SONGS from J. SMIES - links
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Thank you Charlie for putting up these three songs !!
Thanks Don for your kind words !
These are all 'straight' recordings, in one take that is, and were all done with basically the KORG PA80. (with a touch of Roland E70 for the right hand piano)
One of the reasons for sharing them with you is to show that despite its fairly lousy acoustic piano sound, the KORG is absolutely a great keyboard !!!!
And with new goodies coming out at the Frankfurt Fair next month it is likely to become an even better keyboard.
Not since the days of the early and refreshing Roland and Solton keyboards have I been so excited and satisfied with a new keyboard...................

regards,

john

#167803 - 02/16/02 09:53 AM Re: NEW SONGS from J. SMIES - links
Bevan Offline

John is good singer but his keyboard is hard-
ly not audible.

#167804 - 03/11/02 07:34 AM Re: NEW SONGS from J. SMIES - links
barnabymagic Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
John - PLEASE don't mention new keyboards coming out. I've only just saved enough to get the PA80 (and thought the acoustic piano was beautiful). I am becoming a keyboardaholic and will probably give up food soon so that I can use the money to buy the next new board. I don't need more temptation. ps., what is your favourite keyboard for Piano sounds?

------------------

#167805 - 03/11/02 09:25 AM Re: NEW SONGS from J. SMIES - links
Dnj Offline

Nice work John!!

Always on my Mind is one of my favorite tunes!! Thanx for sharing with us!

Donny nj

#167806 - 03/12/02 01:55 AM Re: NEW SONGS from J. SMIES - links
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
thank you Donny, yep it is a fabulous song and I must say am quite pleased with this home recording myself. I prefer very "quiet",accompaniments anyway and recently I got well over 40 "piano styles" for the Korg PA80, produced by Belgian PA prodigy Fabio.

Barnaby,
From your personal email I know you have meanwhile received some of my software for both the Solton MS40 and the Korg PA80, which by now should be on your doorstep (...or across even.....)
First of all let me put the record straight.
I was not referring to the Frankfurt Fair ,later on this week, to creat more confusion in the sense of 'picking the right keyboard'. I am sure there will be many novelties there but like others (Don M)
pointed out it will take at least 6 to 12 months before these new boards will be for sale. What I was referring to are the novelties that (hopefully) will be introduced for the existing KORG PA80, e.g.
new sample cards, styles , etc.
As to your query about the "best" piano sound:
Over the years I have found that the acoustic piano of my old and trusted Roland E70 is THE sound for me. It is a very warm and round piano sound that NEVER EVER BORES.
I know keyboards like Solton SD1 and Yamaha
PSR9000/2000 also have very good piano sounds,probably even better though that is a matter of opinion, but even there I somehow concluded that 1/ they let me down in certain musical categories and 2/ they are not as addictive as the E70 piano.
One ,very peculiar , observation however:
I very much like the E70 piano coming out of the E70 (speakersytem) itself. Hearing the same sound from its identical module (RA90) or through other sytems it takes away some of its magic, for me anyway.............
Don't forget you can probably pick up an E70 for appr. 200 quid these days !!!!!!!
In conclusion I would like to state once more that I am "blissfully" happy with my current set up, consisting of the oldies
Roland E70, the Solton MS40 (which is the module of the MS50/60) and the KORG PA80....................

regards,

john.

#167807 - 03/12/02 04:45 AM Re: NEW SONGS from J. SMIES - links
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
For anyone that needs a good "add on" piano sound just like John's - I have a Roland SC33 available. It's basically the guts of his keyboard without the keys. It's a small tabletop unit with lots of group buttons for easy edits. Straight forward and simple - this will add 28 notes of polyphony with Sound Canvas quality ( VERY GM friendly!) to any midi keyboard. It also serves as an excellent sound source for computers with cheezy, or otherwise inadequate sound cards.
I'll post the price up in the For Sale section, if anyone is interrested.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online