SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#16753 - 02/17/99 02:26 AM M1 vs T-3 Workstation?
Anonymous
Unregistered

What are the significant differences between these two machines? In all of the listings here I don't see anything on the Korg T-3? Would a T-3 then be a bad choice as a used instrument?

#16754 - 02/17/99 10:14 PM Re: M1 vs T-3 Workstation?
Kurzrep Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
The T-series is a signficantly better instrument than the M1. The T series has more samples in ROM and higher quality samples and effects than the M1. It also has a better LCD display. Many of the sounds in Korg's current gear is still from the the T-series ROM.

Of course depending on the price of this used equipment you may want to check into a Kurzweil K2000.

Mike Martin
Kurzweil Music Systems

Visit the Kurzweil Connection
http://www.kurzweilconnection.com
and KeySolutions Sample Libraries
http://members.aol.com/keysolutns

#16755 - 02/18/99 09:57 PM Re: M1 vs T-3 Workstation?
HellPope Huey Offline

Loc: Hot Springs, AR, USA
I second the K2000 recommendation, especially if you're attracted to sampling; the add-on package for the 2000 and the K2VX series proper are, um, righteous. Its a scary serious machine.
However, if you choose to stay in the Korg realm, I'd say pass on the T series and head for the 01/W, especially the steroid-enhanced fd model, which has a MUCH better sequencer, 32 voices as opposed to 16 and has caught on in such a way that you can locate SQUILLIONS of patches on the Net. FYI to everyone-you can find a mass of these little beauties at korg01w-list@vienxu.com in a couple of different formats.
The Ts ARE good synths, but if you're going in that direction, go for the muscle! The few extra bucks an 01 will require will be well-spent. The Trinity is also a dynamite bet, presuming you can handle the weird touch-screen for programming it. I have massive fingers that don't LIKE that sucker, but it IS a lively, worthwhile instrument. A little brighter than the 01s in a sense, perhaps, but as always, that's just MY opinion. Check it out for yerself. Hope this helps.

#16756 - 02/22/99 03:11 PM Re: M1 vs T-3 Workstation?
kay Offline

The T-series have additional master keyboard functions. Due to the big display, which can show graphics, the sound programming is much easier as on a M1. The Ts can use all of the M1-sounds but not vice versa. The Ts have a floppy disk drive.

The Ts are great for live performing. I use a T2 and control all of the MIDI-instruments with it (other keyboards, effect units and programmable guitarre staff). It is good to have a floppy drive availabe on stage, you can use it for backup and restore sounds (keyboards, effect units and so on).

T3-60 keys,
T2-76 keys,
T1-88 heavy keys.

EX-Option means, you can load sampled sounds. These sounds have to be loaded each time you power a T machine on. Need more infos?

#16757 - 04/04/99 10:21 PM Re: M1 vs T-3 Workstation?
peter affa jr Offline

Loc: Marshfield Hills,MA02051-0009 ...
Hi-- ive used the T3 live for 10 years
and counting -- I do alot of sequencing
on it to add to live performances to en-
able me to add keys & percussion to the
band sound which allows me to go out
and front the band--- the sequencer has
its limitations & it takes some work to
learn to use it --- the 16 note limitation
is a drag & and the piano sounds arent
great by todays standards-- but i get
some killer horn sounds out of it that I
use all the time to beef up R&B arrange-
ments-- the things been absolutely reliable
and has changed the sound of my band and
allowed me to do things I could never do
in the past--- Ive done tons of programming & sequencing for it bfore the
01 series came out & was really bummed to
find that I couldnt transfer any of my work
on the T to a new O1--stupid move Korg!!
so ive stayed with the T3--- if I were
you Id go with a good 01w-- you cant go
wrong with a Korg-- theyre great-- and the
01's will do every thing the T's do only
better--- you might wanna get a nice piano
module too if good piano sounds are important to you-- theT pianos are kind of
thin,tinny& glassy sounding-- by the way
those killer horn section sounds were
made by Valhalla-- a third party programming co.-- I use alot of there other
sounds allthe time-- they sound great---
in fact those horn sounds are better to
my ears than alot of the new stuff ive
heard on the Kurzweils & rolands-- goodluk
peteraffajr@hotmail.com

#16758 - 04/14/99 06:26 PM Re: M1 vs T-3 Workstation?
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Just adding my voice to your T3 vs M1 topic.
I've owned both. I still own my T3. Probably the best, friendliest, unit I've ever used. I agree with Hellpope Huey, the Trinity series is nice but the touch screen, I find, is a real pain. I've been sequencing with my T3 for 5 or 6 years now, and it's the best. Sure the 16 note poly is a minor setback, but I get around it by downloading multiple sequenced data to my D8. Works for me.... I wouldn't mind a second unit, either a 3 or a 1. I use my T3 for gigs, never had a problem, and it's only been into the shop for an internal battery replacement.

[This message has been edited by Leon (edited 04-20-99).]

#16759 - 04/19/99 12:13 AM Re: M1 vs T-3 Workstation?
IanDouglas Offline

Loc: Kanata, Ontario, Canada
Biggest thing I've noticed between the M1 and T series is the sequencing memory.

I did a side-by-side comparison of them with an online database I'm creating, and the keyboards are almost identical. What do you expect, the T-series was modelled after the M1 from what I've heard.

Anyhow, the main differences are:

1. the M1 has 100 samples, 100 combinations; the T-series have 200 samples, 100 combinations.

2. the M1 has a 10000-event sequencer; the T-series has a 50000-event sequencer

3. The M1 has a single MIDI Out port; the T-series has four MIDI Out ports (makes it a great controller)

Hope this helps some. I've been using a T2 for about two years, but it's borrowed, so I just (ie: a day ago) bought an M1.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online