SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#167472 - 06/25/07 11:09 PM Antares Harmony Plug-in
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
For the laptop crowd (and maybe MS and Wersi), from the people that brought you Auto-Tune... A MIDI controllable auto harmony generator.
http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2007/Antares-Harmony-Engine.html

#167473 - 06/26/07 09:02 AM Re: Antares Harmony Plug-in
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Just listened to the Choir mp3.
:-) In all fairness, that seriously sucked to death. It's totally awful sounding.

Sounds like a Sound Baster card from the 80 with Text to Speech.

#167474 - 06/26/07 12:24 PM Re: Antares Harmony Plug-in
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I listened also and thought it was mediocre at best.

Give me an excellent "onboard" hardware/softare solution in a high-end Arranger which would preclude the necessity of a Laptop. I haven't heard the G70's harmonizer but from what I've heard from others it is pretty good according to them.

Yamaha didn't really improve the T2 harmonizer over the T1, at least not in a significant way. The T3's future survival may depend on whether or not it has an excellent VH onboard, plus it must have USB 2.0 or Firewire to stay relevant in todays keyboard market. >> Did you hear that too Ketron??

The Roland E80 is also suppose to have an excellent Harmonizer but I cannot confirm that one way or the other as I have not heard it in person, neither have I heard any demos of it (the Harmonizer that is). I have not heard any G70 harmonizer demos either. Nor the Pa800 for that matter. But I do know that some keyboard companies really strive to put a good harmonizer on their Arrangers i.e. Korg and Roland, unlike Yamaha apparently. I also hope that Ketron doesn't release the Audya with its current form of Harmonizer as I thought it sounded pathetic and more in line with what a Vocoder should sound like. > If you could relay that message to your boss I would appreciate it A.J. I mean if Ketron markets its Audya with having a Vocoder and not a Harmonizer then okay. But if Ketron is saying the Audya has a "Harmonizer" then you better be prepared to back up that statement with some relevance because as it stands now it doesn't really sound like a true Harmonizer at all. At least to me anyway.

Best,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 06-26-2007).]

#167475 - 06/26/07 12:27 PM Re: Antares Harmony Plug-in
Diki Offline

To be fair, that whole thing was generated in realtime from one fairly crappy lead vocal (female)...

I have always liked the system where you just PLAY the harmony parts, and the machine takes care of figuring out the transpositions for you. It allows you to get nice inside passing notes and dissonance (if needed!) which most arranger harmony generators are unwilling to do easily...

#167476 - 06/26/07 12:43 PM Re: Antares Harmony Plug-in
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I agree that it has some nice features. Give us some nice demos to go along with the touted feature set and then you've got something.

BTW, the first demo is not a female. Listen closely to it. Sounds like a man to me, albeit with a 1st tenor vocal range that even borders on alto'ish'. I have to say that a couple of the demos did sound pretty good but nothing really to write home about in my opinion.

I'll stick with my original theory thank you. That is, give me an excellent onboard solution on the Keyboard.

Best,
Mike

#167477 - 06/27/07 08:42 AM Re: Antares Harmony Plug-in
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
I dont like the audio demos too, the voice are not so clean and naturally.
When the demo vst will be available, I will try to test under MS too.

Now we are try to make working the new Wine-ASIO driver and when we will find one stable way, we will included in the next release.
With the Wine-ASIO driver then we are able to run a lot of standard Windows music application, like the new Reaper: http://www.cockos.com/reaper/
Here is running under MS with some VST effects too.
We think slow slow the MS wil be more interesting and can cover the windows keyboards too.

#167478 - 06/27/07 12:24 PM Re: Antares Harmony Plug-in
Diki Offline

I am interested if anyone thinks there IS a better harmony
generator in any of the current keyboards...? To be honest,
they ALL sound pretty fake to me. It is just that this plug-in
has what I consider some well thought out control options.
As I said, I thought that first demo did quite a good job with
just ONE fairly high-up voice. The low male parts sounded
quite good (IMO). We use an Orville in the studio, but it's
control aspects don't seem as friendly as the Antares plug..

#167479 - 06/27/07 02:17 PM Re: Antares Harmony Plug-in
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Out of all I have heard, I would put the TC Helicon on top, of which a simplified version is incorporated in Korg keyboards

Bill

#167480 - 06/27/07 06:34 PM Re: Antares Harmony Plug-in
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I like the Roland harmonist..even over the TC..

I agree the female lead was the problem with that demo..

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online