SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#165740 - 09/02/04 07:38 PM What should I charge?
Arbaz Offline

Hey guys I need help, I have been asked to play in a restaurant it is an small restaurant with 30-40 people sitting capacity, now I have never done this type of job, it will be a 4 hour job every Sunday from 12-4 so what is the ongoing rate? Just to let you know it is not a very established restaurant in fact it recently opened up and they want to hire me as a regular entertainer. I have a PSR-3000? Do you think I need an additional sound system or is the PSR-3000 enough? Please any help in this matter would be much appreciated...how these deals work I have no idea…

#165741 - 09/02/04 07:59 PM Re: What should I charge?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
You will need at least a small PA. The Logitech Z2200 system should be more than sufficient.

If you are a singer and player as well, depending on where you live, the rates vary from $100 to $150 for a weekly, 4-hour job. Some more experienced performers may get up to $200, but for the restaurant/club biz that's usually the high end anywhere in the U.S..

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#165742 - 09/03/04 07:10 AM Re: What should I charge?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Gary's right. $150-200 is the going rate in my area for top players in large established restaurants (100 plus seats.

Russ

#165743 - 09/03/04 07:22 AM Re: What should I charge?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Arbaz .... You don't say where you are from, but in Rhode Island I would say $150 for a steady, weekly gig is about right...
I imagine you know what kind of clientele you will be playing for ...
I don't know the volume capacity of the 3000, but the problem I've seen in some small rooms is that I like to play through amplification because I think the sound is fuller, richer, even with low volume ... BUT even if the patrons are ok with the volume, sometimes the wait staff will say that they can't hear the customers because 'the music is too loud' ... especially if they've been working at the restaurant without music in the past...
Best of luck ...
t.

#165744 - 09/03/04 01:38 PM Re: What should I charge?
Arbaz Offline

Thank you guys, really appreciate all the answers I am in Phoenix, AZ area, thanks again. And what you guys think of Logitech Z680 5.1 Computer Speakers? I was thinking of getting these for a while. Wouldn’t they do a better sound coverage than Logitech Z2200 2.1?

[This message has been edited by Arbaz (edited 09-03-2004).]

#165745 - 09/03/04 02:50 PM Re: What should I charge?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
IMO, $150 sounds great if you can get it. You stated that they sit 30-40 people. In my experience, that is a fairly small dining room. A few questions come to mind:

Is there a history of them having paid entertainment ?

What kind of place is it? Upscale? Family?

What is your opportunity cost? Do you usually work on Sundays, for better wages?

My point being...without knowing some of the details, the "correct price" could differ.

A word of caution...and I know some will disagree with this...make sure you're not asking for something the owner/mgt. can't/won't pay. Too many times I've seen in my area of Dayton, OH places stop having live music altogether because they paid top dollar for a period of time...lost money...and then stopped having live music altogether. One less place to work isn't good for business...

If you're not working on Sundays and looking to be seen and make reasonable wages...I'd suggest you be flexible. If this was Fri/Sat and you're already making good money somewhere else, then its a different story. Don't forget, people will hear your talents and from that, other possible bookings can often pop up.

My goal in situations like this is to be paid as well as possible for my performance but not so much that I cut my own throat in the long-term anywhere. Also, food/bev can be part of your compensation as well as cash.

Hope it helps-

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 09-03-2004).]

#165746 - 09/03/04 03:04 PM Re: What should I charge?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I know I'm going to start off another controversy, but I still feel a small keyboard amp Roland, Peavey, Behringer, Crate, etc.) with an XLR mic channel would be a simpler, better solution to the Logitechs. A musical amp is better designed for the input/output signals of keys and mics. Otherwise a mixer is needed (more equipment). Also, $100-150 for a Sunday afternoon is to be expected.

#165747 - 09/03/04 03:04 PM Re: What should I charge?
Arbaz Offline

Some excellent points Bill, I'll keep them in mind while settling for a fair price.

#165748 - 09/03/04 06:02 PM Re: What should I charge?
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi cassp

While I haven't heard the Logitech speakers yet myself, judging by what everyone is saying, it seems like a good choice for a small room.

The PSR3000 like my Tyros sounds a LOT better in stereo. The single amp idea won't work well here to suit my ears by a long shot. Also, there is a built in mixer on the 3000. No real need for an external mixer.

I've heard my PSR2000 and Tyros through one speaker in mono, and it ain't pretty.

MHO,
Scott

#165749 - 09/03/04 08:18 PM Re: What should I charge?
Beakybird Offline

Congratulations on your gig.

Stereo is almost a must with the PSR3000. I recommend the Logitech Z-2200 if this is your only gig. The other Logitech has too many cables. I think that a three piece system is plenty. It will give you good sound, rich bass, and it's cheap.

If you are going to be doing more gigging, I would recommend a sturdier professional system, but it's going to be heavier and a lot more expensive.

Beakybird

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online