SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 16 of 16 < 1 2 14 15 16
Topic Options
#165581 - 12/22/06 01:16 AM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
i think i do. so in a pattern or style (which in tyhe MS can have up to 12 isntruiments) any or all of the instruments can now be either a mixture of GM and Giga or VST of the users own choice. It would be simply a matter of the user revoicing all the uinstruments from a converted style to suit their own tastes. I think i get it. And these changes can be saved permanatly after the machine has been switched off ? so over time you could build up a library of styles composed entirely of giga or vst samples.

Has anyone with the MS actually done this so that i can hear it ?

Sorry Billjust saw your post. So where does the 4 VST limiyt come into play with the Wersi or have i completely misunderstood ?

[This message has been edited by spalding (edited 12-22-2006).]

#165582 - 12/22/06 03:07 AM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Spalding
You can only use 4 VST Plug-ins simultaneously, Such As;
B4 (approx 110 sounds + User, and free use as if it was a B3 Organ)
Pro 53 (Approx 100 sounds + User, and free to use as a Prophet Synthesizer)
Kontakt 2 (Sample Player/Editor) (Number of sounds limited by available Ram)
The Grand (Steinway and other Top Piano samples)
If you wish to use another then you have to replace one that is already there, however I believe (I am on OAS 6 so not totally sure on OAS 7) they can be stored in Presets, so that when you select the Preset the appropriate VST Plug-ins are loaded automatically. (There are also VST Hosts that are themselves Plug-ins, so if you understand what you are doing, more then 4 can be loaded)
VST Plug-ins were originally designed to be used in studios, and the engineers new what VST Plug-ins could be combined and not overload the computer systems, however as Arranger/Organ players are not studio/computer engineers, Wersi put a safe limit on the number of VST Plug-ins that could be used simultaneously so that that the users do not run into problems. (As faster CPUs and Ram drop in price and become the standard in the instruments, then Wersi will increase the number of VSTs allowed, but always making sure that they will not cause problems, even to a beginner)
This is one of the advantages of Wersi. In that there OS is designed even for people who have never played an Arranger/Organ before.
As an Example
If you went to a friend who had one, and he had loaded Akai samples, VST Plug-ins etc.you would find it no different to playing your PA1X, but the sound quality would be just like you hear in films, or in live performances.
Hope this helps

Bill

#165583 - 12/22/06 04:26 AM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Spalding,

Any system that utilizes VST's is limited by the RAM, CPU speed, and therefore polyphony is not infinite... it is not limited to Wersi.

In OAS 7 the Wersi has four slots for VST's but the sound engine itself is already running integrated sound emulators in the system. They include FM synthesis, Analog synthesis, Wavetable synthesis, and stereo sampling with GIGA and Kontakt playback functions. Any of these sound generators including VST's can be used in styles.

If one were to use an additional VST Host such as Cubase you could effectively run many VST's but eventually if you run too many VST's, you will tax the system. I'm not sure how many sounds you need but with the Wersi's factory sounds (nearly 1 GB worth), synthesis, sampling, and other synth capabilities, I seriously doubt you are going to need to run more than 4 VST's at once. Out of the box the Wersi sample library far exceeds anything I've heard from Roland, Korg, Technics, Ketron, or Yamaha. FYI... I have the Wersi Abacus Duo Pro, Mediastation X-76 Expanded, and Korg Oasys so I can listen to these side by side and compare sounds easily.

The way in which Wersi has integrated VST's into the system makes it as easy to use as pushing a few buttons. Load your VST sounds into user memory, save them, then you never have to think about it again. Just press the appropriate sound button and your VST sound is there.

The Mediastation also works in a similar manner. You use LinuxSampler to load GIGA or Kontakt files, save them, then just recall them by selecting sounds buttons. Not difficult by any stretch.

I'm not really sure why you and others feel the Wersi and MS are not capable arrangers and lack the features necessary to be top arrangers? The Wersi currently is more capable than any other arranger or workstation on the market. The Mediastation has far more features than most arrangers and workstations but it is lacking in a few areas. Domenik is already working to resolve this with an upgrade that's just around the corner. Domenik has always delivered on his software promises so I have no reason to doubt he's not going to follow through with it now.

If Wersi and Lionstracs are guilty of anything its that their limited sound demos don't show off the true capabilities of thier systems. So many people have commented how the Mediastation sounds are worse than a cheap PSR but I can tell you first hand that's not the case. Sure, some of the GM/GS sounds aren't great (no one arranger has incredible GM/GS sounds), but the synth and sampled sounds are top notch. The GIGA sounds are fantastic. Don't take my word for it, go to GigaStudio or Kontakt web site, listen to any of the GIGA or Kontakt sample sounds, then realize any of these can be utilized in the Mediastation or Wersi. Tell me what arranger from Yamaha, Roland, or Korg can compete with those types of sounds. Even my Oasys which is an awesome synthesizer workstation can't come close.

These systems can be as complex or as simple as you want them to be. The beauty of an OAS style system is that you can make it anything you want, you aren't limited to what the manufacturer gave you OOTB. Because of cost and feature set, these types of arrangers are not for everyone.

[This message has been edited by Ensnareyou (edited 12-22-2006).]

#165584 - 12/22/06 04:42 AM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by hellboy44:
VSTs and Giga Sounds are all very well, but if you can only use them in a very limited way, then............

Hellboy,

The VST's are not limited in the way you are thinking. I find it odd that you're worried about limitations of VST and GIGA yet most people own arrangers that are completely fixed when it comes to adding new sounds, features, etc. I'll gladly take a system that has some new capabilites than one that has none. Thankfully the Wersi and Mediastation are not lacking in sound and style production capabilites and are continually upgradeable.

[This message has been edited by Ensnareyou (edited 12-22-2006).]

#165585 - 12/22/06 07:16 AM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Hi ensnareyou. and Bill Thanks foryour explanation of the capabilities of your instruments. The reason why i have reticence ( and i have a feeling many other people) in buying into either product or the concept is the lack of any reasonable demos, any written explanations or promtional literature anywhere either by the manufacturer ( i have spent a fair bit of time on both maufacturers websites )or from a dealer ( I got a demo CD from the Wersi dealer that was 4 years old and it sounded very poor) Existing users, or support groups . The best explanation of these products has come in the last few conversations on these threads and neither of you are employed by the companies involved and not the manufacturer who i would have thought have a vested interest in explaining its own products.

I hear the explanation but i have to admit that if i have not been able to play one of these instruments , or hear a decent demo its really unlikely i will take the plunge and buy one until i know that other arranger players have done so and report back their satisfaction with the arranger element. I would stil love for someone to repost the converted styles in this thread so that i can hear what the real differnce is in sound

If Jonesy boys offer is still open i will go and check out the MS once the latest update has been done. I dont have the opportunity to try out a wersi unless there are any owners here lurking who live in the Westmidlands UK ?

#165586 - 12/22/06 09:58 AM Re: Fran how is the Mediastation so far....interested in your opinions?
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I was only able to hear Miami Beach. Could someone send me the other 2? Does anyone have a copy of all posts on this thread?

Thanx
Scott

scott_langholff@yahoo.com

Page 16 of 16 < 1 2 14 15 16

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online