SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#164941 - 04/17/03 10:22 PM KP-100S Motion Sound: 'all in one unit' Stereo PA received today !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
UPS just delivered to me today, a Motion Sound: KP-100S 'all in one unit' stereo PA, which I had pre-ordered from our synthzone forum buddy & music dealer, Dan O'Neil a few weeks back:
http://motion-sound.com/keypro_amplifiers.htm

I was immediately impressed by the KP-100S's build quality, compact size, and relative light weight (38 lbs). I immediately hooked it up to my Tyros and was quite impressed by its sound, especially the bass, considering it has only 8" woofers. The 50 watts RMS/channel one unit design may prove to be the perfect small-medium sized gig 'stereo' solution, as it preserves the impressive stereo efx sound that so many keyboard sounds now rely on (ei: Yamaha's 'Live Grand'), of which becomes severely degraded (via phase cancellation) when played thru a mono system. I experimented briefly with the KP-100S's stereo enhancer feature and was quite impressed with the surround sound feel it provides. It's all a matter of taste but it's important to note not to set the enhancer level too high if you want to achieve a natural stereo sound. The amp also includes 3 band EQ and mic (both XLR & 1/4") mic inputs. The mic inputs are not important for me though because I typically send my vocals thru the Tyros vocalizer. KP-100S line inputs include two sets of 1/4" unbalanced stereo pairs. The KP-100S also includes a pair of (XLR) lineouts and a 1/4" output for connecting to a subwoofer unit.

The KP-100S manual suggests placing the PA unit 'behind' you at about 2 feet above the floor, with your position at amplifer center for best expander stereo effect. It also adds, that placing the amplifier on the floor can provide more bass, but depending on how close you are to the KP-100S, you may not hear enough treble. Tilting the KP-100S back slightly can help direct more 'highs' toward you. In my initial tests, I had no problems hearing the highs and the bass was relatively decent, and if used in conjunction with the Tyros' subwoofer, the bass response was even MORE impressive. The thing I find most odd when utilizing the KP-100S alone w/o the Tyros speakers, is having the sound coming solely from behind me. Only time will tell if I'll be able to adjust to this or if I'll need to utilize the Tyros onboard speakers as well.

I'm now searching for a suitable small tilt stand for the KP-100S, similar to the one 'the PRO' is using for his larger KP-200S setup, which will raise & tilt the KP-100S a couple of feet off the floor. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

I may also consider ordering a custom KP-100S cover made by 'Le Cover': http://www.lecover.com/

LeCover offers both a non-padded or padded version. I'm curious if the padded cover is worth the extra expense or not. Recommendations?

I'm interested in hearing feedback from other new Motion Sound KP-100S owners.

Beakybird (Larry Levine): Realizing that you ordered your KP-100S about the same time I ordered mine, I assume you got yours now too, so curious to hear what you think of it.

OK, I'll be posting more feedback in a few days, after taking this new baby for a test drive 'out on the road'. - Scott

#164942 - 04/18/03 03:58 AM Re: KP-100S Motion Sound: 'all in one unit' Stereo PA received today !
Beakybird Offline

Didn't get mine yet.

Scott, doesn't the amp has handles on the side, doesn't it? You might want to make sure that the cover you get has flaps so you can grab it from the side. It will make it easier to grab out of your car and might protect your back. The cover that they showed me didn't have this feature, but they might be able to add this feature if you request it.

Keep us posted on what you think.

Is the amp too wide to simply put on a chair? I'm interested in finding out about smaller stands.

Beakybird

#164943 - 04/18/03 04:58 AM Re: KP-100S Motion Sound: 'all in one unit' Stereo PA received today !
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Scott: Congradulations - I think you'll enjoy the sound and convenience of your new amp. I'm glad to hear that the smaller speakers put out sufficient bass - I know my KP-200s puts out a surprising amount of it. I don't use the mic inputs on my KP-200s either but I found they came in handy when I needed to set up a mic for someoone other than me to address the audience with.

I forget the model of tilt stand I got but it was one of the smallest QuikLok models and it does the job admirably. And I did get the padded cover from Le Cover and think it's an excellent investment - fits like a glove and gives added protection to the exposed front speaker area. Otherwise the amp seems totally rugged.

Since I have a 9000 Pro and have no "front" speakers for monitoring, I always have sound coming from behind me no matter if I use the KP-200s or a regular PA... I'm very used to it and of course it's all the same to the audience. You might hear a little less of the high from this vantage point if you don't use your Tyros speakers with your KP. I think the convenience factor will help offset this minor caveat.

Since you sing a lot and I don't, perhaps you'll get a chance to address some of the questions others had about using the KP from behind you, ie: feedback problems. Good luck with your amp.

#164944 - 04/18/03 05:01 AM Re: KP-100S Motion Sound: 'all in one unit' Stereo PA received today !
trtjazz Offline

The KP 200 S for those that want a bit more power and a few more features is awesome too. It works equally well for other instruments and vocals as well.

Scott what I would suggest on your vocals, is run through the Tyros but in line out, send them out the sub 1 & 2 into the second channel of your KP. That way it will all be in the same mix source and you can take advantage of the stereo field for them too.

BTW Pro, I have not run into any feedback problems with the vocals.

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 04-18-2003).]

#164945 - 04/18/03 06:09 AM Re: KP-100S Motion Sound: 'all in one unit' Stereo PA received today !
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,
What size room or audience do you believe the 100 is capable of handling? I would sure like to lighten the load for some of the smaller jobs I do on a regular basis--senior centers, retirement communities, private parties in homes, jobs that does not require huge speakers and 600 watts of power. Additionally, does the 100 have a pole-stand mounting bracket in the bottom, or must it be placed on a tilted stand? And finally, if this is not too personel, how much did it cost? The website made no mention of suggested list price.

Thanks,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#164946 - 04/18/03 07:33 AM Re: KP-100S Motion Sound: 'all in one unit' Stereo PA received today !
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Scott,
And finally, if this is not too personel, how much did it cost? The website made no mention of suggested list price.

Thanks,

Gary

It lists for $699, and at www.music123.com you can get it for $599. PS: They have free shipping on items over $99. Here is the direct link to the KP-100S: http://www.music123.com/item/?itemno=97952

Mike

[This message has been edited by Idatrod (edited 04-18-2003).]

#164947 - 04/18/03 08:25 AM Re: KP-100S Motion Sound: 'all in one unit' Stereo PA received today !
Beakybird Offline

You can get it cheaper from Dano.

Beakybird

#164948 - 04/18/03 09:31 AM Re: KP-100S Motion Sound: 'all in one unit' Stereo PA received today !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
You can get it cheaper from Dano.
Beakybird

Ditto

Contact Dan at:
danosmusic@yahoo.com

#164949 - 04/18/03 09:42 AM Re: KP-100S Motion Sound: 'all in one unit' Stereo PA received today !
The Accordionist Offline

Scott -

Glad to hear you got your KP-100S! I have had the KP-200S for about a month now and it's been a lot of fun. I purchased the Quik Lok BS-317 amplifier stand and it functions well. It will allow the amp to sit about a foot off the floor, while being able to support up to 100 pounds. You may be able to get by with the smaller Quik Lok stand, however, since the KP-100S is only 35 pounds.

I can't recommend LeCover enough. There was a slight glitch in my cover order, as they inadvertently forgot to put in the top handle cutout (the covers do incorporate side cutouts, by the way). I sent exactly one email to Larry LeCover, explained the problem and I received a response in about an hour stating that it was probably an error on their part and if so he would send me another cover. I didn't hear back from him again and assumed that he just dropped the subject, until yesterday when a brand new cover arrived! I sent him an email and told him that his customer service is unparalleled and that I would spread the word. I have the regular, non-padded cover and it serves it's purpose well. I didn't opt for the 1/2" padded cover because it was more important to me that the cover be manageable and easy to stow away in my accordion case during a gig. The covers fit like a glove.
I've been experimenting a lot with the KP-200S and have just now found the sweet spot to my ears. RJ Miller of this forum has been very helpful with suggestions via email on how he has set up his KP-200S. These amps are built like tanks and can really put out the volume.
Good luck with yours and I am very interested in hearing about your progress with it.

#164950 - 04/18/03 11:18 AM Re: KP-100S Motion Sound: 'all in one unit' Stereo PA received today !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
Scott, doesn't the amp has handles on the side, doesn't it?

Unfortunately, the KP-100S doesn't include side handles like the KP-200S does. The KP-100S is considerably lighter though (38 vs 55 lbs) , so lack of side handles isn't as critical, but it would have been nice none the less.

Btw: The "Motion Sound" KP-100S's small footprint size fits perfectly on the bed of my "Superlite" Handtruck:
assuring maximum support & stability for quick ez transport along with the rest of the gear stacked on top:
http://www.pstco.com/superlite_cobra.htm

Quote:
Originally posted by the Pro:

Since you sing a lot and I don't, perhaps you'll get a chance to address some of the questions others had about using the KP from behind you, ie: feedback problems.

In initial tests, I've had no vocal feedback problems with the amp positioned behind me, as my body appears to block the mic from pointing directly at the PA unit. I'll report back more after taking it on my small job later today.

Quote:
Originally posted by Trtjazz:

Scott what I would suggest on your vocals, is run through the Tyros but in line out, send them out the sub 1 & 2 into the second channel of your KP. That way it will all be in the same mix source and you can take advantage of the stereo field for them too.

Currently when performing live, I send both vocals & keyboard sounds out to the Motion Sound PA solely via the Tyros main output (L/L+R). I'm confused about how sending the vocals separately (via the Tyros sub1 &2 outs) to the 2nd input channel on the KP-100S will offer any advantages. The KP-100S provides 3 band overall EQ as well as a stereo enhancer, but it doesn't allow you apply these separately to only one of the two stereo inputs. Can you please provide more details on the advantage of sending out the vocals to the KP-100S separately? Curious how other Motion Sound users (KP-200S/KP-100S) configure vocals & keyboard with their Motion Sound units.

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Scott,
What size room or audience do you believe the 100 is capable of handling? . . . Additionally, does the 100 have a pole-stand mounting bracket in the bottom, or must it be placed on a tilted stand? And finally, if this is not too personel, how much did it cost? The website made no mention of suggested list price.Gary

Gary: Though I haven't tried it out on the job yet, I expect it should handle the smaller acoustic jazz/pop lounge venues (up to 50 people) where heavy duty pumping bass isn't required, but I'll have to report back after taking it on a few gigs. The 100 doesn't include a pole stand mounting bracket on the bottom.The suggested list price for the KP-100S is $699. I got mine from DanO and his price is even a much better deal than the $599 price offered at Music 123.com. I was lucky enough to have mine drop shipped directly to my door from Motion Sound.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Accordionist:
I purchased the Quik Lok BS-317 amplifier stand and it functions well. You may be able to get by with the smaller Quik Lok stand, however, since the KP-100S is only 35 pounds

Anyone know the QuikLok model number of the recommended 'smaller' Quik Lok stand?

Quote:

I can't recommend LeCover enough. I have the regular, non-padded cover and it serves it's purpose well. I didn't opt for the 1/2" padded cover because it was more important to me that the cover be manageable and easy to stow away in my accordion case during a gig. The covers fit like a glove.

I hope that when you say it 'fits like a glove' that it's not so snug that it's difficult to install or remove quickly & easily. The EV brand covers I purchased for my EV SxA100's are very awkward (time consuming) to install and remove because the fit is too snug and requires lifting the speakers and then struggling to fit them into the cover. I hope the Le Cover bags are designed better. Thanks for your good suggestion about going with the non-padded cover vs padded version, but I'm wondering if going the padded vs padded route might offer (because of padded rigidity?) easier cover installation/removal?

Quote:

I've been experimenting a lot with the KP-200S and have just now found the sweet spot to my ears. RJ Miller of this forum has been very helpful with suggestions via email on how he has set up his KP-200S.

Can you possibly post here (or email me privately) RJ Miller's suggestions?

Thanks to everyone for there input and replies. In the meantime, I'll keep you all posted on my progress with the KP-100S.

Scott

#164951 - 04/18/03 04:55 PM Re: KP-100S Motion Sound: 'all in one unit' Stereo PA received today !
trtjazz Offline

Scott by sending them out seperately and into the 2nd channel of the KP you will have independant control over the vocals in the mix. Setting the line outs that way will stay as well and you do not have to redo it on power up each time.

------------------
jam on,

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 04-18-2003).]

#164952 - 04/18/03 08:02 PM Re: KP-100S Motion Sound: 'all in one unit' Stereo PA received today !
RJMiller Offline

Loc: Minnesota, USA
Scott, try placing the amp in front of you in the floor, I have found the sterio enhancement of the KP-200S is present behind as well as in front of the amp. The 200S has two 3" cutouts on the back - perhaps this is so the sterio effect is also present in back?

I like the placement in front so I don't subject my ears to the full volume that the audience is subjected to - eventhough that ain't much since the old folks at the home don't like much volume.

The only situation in which there was too much bass and not enough treble (however, I was told it sounded OK out front)was when I played in a cafeteria with acoustic tiles (the stapled on fiber ones with the holes - not a suspended ceiling)and the audience was seated a rectangular tables. So, I purchased a QuikLok QL322 stand (just a small x-stand) from Dano (Dan, is it on back-order?). With the QL322 I'll be able to adjust the height of the amp to vary the sound.

I didn't have the presence of mind to wander out front after the performance to hear with my ears if it sounded OK, but it's hard to imagine that the sound out front was that different. But, I haven't been around PA's for that long.

Good Luck

RJM

#164953 - 04/18/03 11:26 PM Re: KP-100S Motion Sound: 'all in one unit' Stereo PA received today !
Scottyee Offline

RJ: Many thanks for your input. I look forward to trying your Motion Sound setup suggestion out. - Scott

Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
Scott by sending them out seperately and into the 2nd channel of the KP you will have independant control over the vocals in the mix.

Terry: I don't know about the Motion Sound KP-200S, but the KP-100S' EQ/mixer section does NOT support 'independent' mixer control over its 2 stereo input channels, but instead controls BOTH input channels (vocals & keyboard) together.

However, with my current setup with both vocals & keyboard sound going out together via the Tyros' main stereo output channel (L/L+R), I'm still easily able to independently control the vocal mix from the Tyros itself, so don't see any advantage to sending the vocals & keyboard sounds out separately from the Tyros to my KP-100S PA unit.

Perhaps the KP-200S is different than the KP-100S, allowing you to apply independent mixer control (eq, balance, etc) over each of its input channels, and that may explain Terry's reasoning. If I'm still missing something here, I hope that Terry (or someone else here) can provide more insight. Many thanks. - Scott

#164954 - 04/19/03 04:45 AM Re: KP-100S Motion Sound: 'all in one unit' Stereo PA received today !
trtjazz Offline

Scott,
I see...that's where I was missing it. My KP200s has 2 seperate sides, with independant eq's/expanders for each side. So the vocals could go in 1 side while the Tyros music could go in the other and have two seperate things happening at once.

Probably something to consider if one is trying to choose between the two models and one's needs. Because there's really not that much difference in price.

------------------
jam on,

#164955 - 04/20/03 03:06 PM Re: KP-100S Motion Sound: 'all in one unit' Stereo PA received today !
RJMiller Offline

Loc: Minnesota, USA
I send my X4 signal using the 4 audio out option to one side and expand it. I send my VoicePrism R&L signal to the other side and do not expand it because some of the VoicePrism presets are degraded when expanded. This may be another reason to consider the 200 over the 100.

The blend seems together even if the VoicePrism is not expanded. (I found with the BBE Sonic Maximizer that when I sonic maxmized the X4 accompaniment and not the right hand that the "band" sounded like it was in 2 different rooms.)

I found when I ran my vocal through the X1 (I used the X1 before the X4 came out) and its harmonizer that it seemed to get buried in the mix - it was audible but not up front.
Glad to hear you don't have that problem with the Tyros.

Good Luck!

RJM

#164956 - 10/09/05 09:16 PM Re: KP-100S Motion Sound: 'all in one unit' Stereo PA received today !
Dnj Offline

Ive been using the KP100s for about a week or so on my smaller venues, & I have to say it does a very fine job for sure. Built very rugged and more then enough power to do 75-100 people rooms....produces very acurate sound all around also..Nice Amp!

#164957 - 10/09/05 09:39 PM Re: KP-100S Motion Sound: 'all in one unit' Stereo PA received today !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Ive been using the KP100s for about a week or so on my smaller venues, & I have to say it does a very fine job for sure.

Donny: Yep. You know I'd never stir ya wrong. I still think the KP100 remains the best 'single unit' portable stereo amp on the market especially suited for Yamaha stereo keyboards.

Wow, it's hard to believe it's been 2-1/2 years now since I first recommended it here.

- Scott

#164958 - 10/10/05 07:18 AM Re: KP-100S Motion Sound: 'all in one unit' Stereo PA received today !
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I use my KP200s for street dances in RV parks. Works well, makes the KN7000 sound terrific.
BEBOP

#164959 - 10/10/05 07:35 AM Re: KP-100S Motion Sound: 'all in one unit' Stereo PA received today !
Dnj Offline

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-10-2005).]

#164960 - 10/10/05 07:38 AM Re: KP-100S Motion Sound: 'all in one unit' Stereo PA received today !
Dnj Offline

The KP100s model I have sounds great ....it has the Replacement speakers a few people here had done also to give more bass......does anyone know what speakers they are?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online