SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#163469 - 09/02/03 11:08 PM Re: Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
FreeStyle Offline

Loc: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
The Tyros sells for RM12,800 here = USD3,368!
sigh...

#163470 - 09/03/03 07:29 AM Re: Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I'm not in love with anything at the moment, Mike. The deal here is this:

I guy I know just bought the Ty and I set it up for him. He's not a real experimenter and he's having trouble with a few anomolies that are Yamaha specific. I think I can rework it to be just fine, but he's frustrated at this juncture. He proposed a trade with my PA80(he really needs the aux outs) so I entertained the thought. I certainly wouldn't use it at work, because ...... you guessed it - NO SPEAKERS, but financially speaking - I'd be foolish to pass on the deal. I can (and probably WILL) sell it in a heartbeat when I'm through with it.

If this deal happens, I'd probably have to force myself to accept a more sequence-dominant envirnment till I get another board that I can use. Big parties are no problem, Fridays are on a grand piano, so the trouble days will be the weekday barrooms and small parties that I play.

Just to clarify.... I still have the same opinion of the Tyros that I always have. It's great for some, but not for me. Don't get excited about that 128 note polyphony either.... the 62 notes in the PA80 outperform it under heavy sustain useage. The drums are what I miss about Yamaha keyboards, but not the sounds ... it's the simplicity of the styles that I like. The Ty has better drum sounds than any other Yamaha to date, but they still have a weird way of rewriting the GM STANDARD to their own design. What IS that drum that sounds like a barking dog anyway ???????

#163471 - 09/03/03 08:57 AM Re: Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Uncle Dave,

Just bought the Tyros and I agree with the style simplicity. Don't know about the polyphony issue yet, haven't come across a problem ( I only play with 2 fingers at a time )

So far midi files have played back pretty straight forward, nice drums, overall it doesn't seem to have the impact of a Korg or Ketron. But very well polished sounding.

I would have to agree with you on the way Korg uses their Polyphony, I never had an issue with note drop outs with my Korgs. Even now my SD-1 will drop put on certain styles, and it seems to be the bass note so its even more noticeable.

#163472 - 09/03/03 11:13 AM Re: Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Yup. I hear ya Frankie !

#163473 - 09/03/03 12:57 PM Re: Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Uncle Dave,

Are you listening to some latin styles from Yamaha in which they included a barking dog sound? LOL

In one of my older yamaha keyboards, a perfomer in which I played for live, insisted that I edit out all barking dogs and strange pan crackling sounds from the styles before any live performances.

#163474 - 09/03/03 03:27 PM Re: Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Fran,
if it's a hobby, we do have to try everything don't we (haahaa). I'm going through a selling phase at the moment. My 9000 pro, just went, and I'm waiting round to see what the new korg is all about. The low polyphony doesn't worry me greatly , as I don't really remember ever having problems on that count with the i2 I had a few years back. I quite like the korg operating system, ( unless they've changed it drastically since then). It may be cheerio, to my VA7 if I like the korg ( and can afford to buy one, that is).

best wishes
rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Rikki, the Tyros has some of the features that are found on the DisCover 5, namely the 4 markers that can be assigned to a sequence[ allowing you to go back to pre determined part of the sequence], this capability along with arranger functions caused my interest,,When Roland releases a new board with the DisCover features and an arranger, I will most likely give it a try..Over the last 20 years I have and still do prefer Roland products, not that I have not owned and appreciated others..If something is good , I will always give it credit[I have owned just about every manufactured keyboard], even when it was a vocation, secretly it was always my hobby..So when I go on a search and buy spree...it's for fun..

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#163475 - 09/03/03 05:02 PM Re: Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
A couple of years back when I was transposing the key signatures in Cakewalk, I would get the barking dog on most of the tunes I would transpose. Not necessarily a Latin tune.

One of my Austrailian buddy musicians told me "do not transpose the drum track." That did the trick.

When you transpose the drum track in Cakewalk home studio 7, it does the doggie thing.

#163476 - 09/03/03 07:18 PM Re: Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
I'm a little surprised that no one even mention's using the multipads within a style . I think changing the multipads are a blast .
I also like Yamaha's instrument selections within the one touch play mode . But! change the multipads for fun .

Dano

#163477 - 09/03/03 11:24 PM Re: Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Dan, you are right: the multipads are a real fun; they work like the Ketron sampled grooves...only much better, because the sounds is SO clean. The only thing that bothers me is that they continue to play even when you press the break fill button.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online