SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#163459 - 09/02/03 09:35 AM Re: Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by Idatrod:

CONS: No onboard Speakers, No Aux Outs, No repeat to Fill function in conjunction with a standard Foot pedal, No ability to call up Styles or Registrations directly from the Hard Drive - (they have to be saved to User Memory first), the width on the Tyros is over 45" (almost, if not already wide enough to be a 76 Key keyoard, good luck on trying to Edit a Drumkit, don't use the Tyros' LCD display in direct sunlight because it's been said it is basically unreadable, the Tyros' Music Stand is not designed optimally -

Unless I mis-understand what you are trying to say, you most certainly CAN map registrations and styles to the hard disk. As a matter of fact, you can map the style category buttons to ANY directory or subdirectory on the hard disk. I created directories on my hard disk with style files from other KB manufacturers and map them to the keys for the preset styles of the Tyros. I can access those custom style files in TWO KEYPRESSES!!!

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#163460 - 09/02/03 09:52 AM Re: Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Regarding the sub outs:
I set up a friends Tyros(which I may end up with anyway...against my better judgement)to use the sub outs as a separate mix for the bass and drums. He likes to send bass to one channel of his mixer, and drums to another. Sounds like aux outs to me.
Mike,
Is there something about this configuration that baffles you? They work like the additional outputs on everything else. You can assign any thing to them for a more specific mix. That's the way I would expect them to work.

Dave, yes you can route "individual" parts through the Sub Outs but can you run the "whole" Mix through them? Like you can with the Aux Outs on the PSR 2000/2100. The 'whole' enchilada?? Now you're making me hungry... Individual parts and the whole ball of wax are two different things. That reminds me, I've got to ream out my ears too. PS: The Aux Sends cannot be used for that purpose either. Having traditional Aux Outputs are a Godsend IMO for their ability for Monitoring purposes. Having Near Fields along with the internals and besides that you still would have the Mains you could use; makes Monitoring, Mixing, and the eventual Mastering of your work easier and more precise IMO. But in order to do that you need the 'whole' enchilada in the Mix. Man, I'm glad lunch time is just around to corner.

Best regards,
Mike

#163461 - 09/02/03 10:13 AM Re: Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Scott, I like a lot of the things the PSR2100 has and does, along with a few things I don't like.
Tell me the reasons I should get a Tyros?

Fran and all: Sorry for the delay. Labor Day gigs have kept me from responding sooner. As I pretty much exclusively utilize the Tyros for live performance, and in 'auto accompaniment' mode, rarely utilizing SMFs in my act, I can't comment on the Tyros' SMF features, but here's my list 10 best/worst things re: Tyros:

Best Things:

1) Responsive synth action keyboard feel & solid construction. . . a dramatic improvement over the PSR2100.

2) Very 'user friendly' button & OS navigation system. 'Direct Access' button feature very handy. Easy to read (much larger fonts than PSR2100) color LCD screen, large navigation buttons (back lite changing color (green/orange) make them easy to locate & select on the fly. Tyros buttons not included on the 2100 : dedicated intro/endings buttons (6), dedicated mic volume level knob directly above master volume knob.

3) Broad palette of outstanding & most importantly, 'very useable' acoustic sounds (voices) and styles.

4) Desktop computer (Windows OS) access to Tyros.provides quick convenient Tyros-computer data transfer (USB), organization, & routine backup of Tyros hard drive data. In addition, the Tyros' hard drive can be viewed on your Windows PC as just another external USB hard drive device, making transfer of data between your computer & the Tyros, a simple drag & drop operation. This isn't possible on the PSR2100.

5) Tyros 'Voice Editor' windows utility program: This feature allows you to easily edit any of the Tyros voices via your computer and then send these custom voices to the Tyros & saved in a dedicated non volatile location on the Tyros called: 'Custom Voices' button bank to be easily called up and used in the same way a preset sound is. There is a maximum capacity of 128 custom voices to expand the Tyros sounds (voices) even futher. The PSR2100 does not support this.

6) Lightweight transport ease. This is definitely the lightest 'top of the line' model arranger keyboard available.

7) Hard drive. It accepts most any generic off the shelf laptop hard drive and installation is a snap. This is an important advantage to me as the PSR2100 doesn't support a hard drive.

8) Out of the box playing ease. I was able to feel comfortable taking my PSR2000 & Tyros on the job within 2-3 days as navigation was intuitive as the button layout seemed to be in the right places from the start. The larger lighted buttons and larger color screen fonts on the Tyros makes it 'that much' easier playing on the fly.

9) Fill to Self: I find the Yamaha 'fill self' feature an arranger keyboard 'MUST'. In addition, having the ability to trigger it via footpedal controler is equally essential (to me). The PSR2100 supports 2 ext foot pedals while the Tyros supports 3. As I require 3 dedicated footpedals (left to right: fill self, vocal harmonizer on/off, sustain), you can clearly see why I prefer playing the Tyros.

10) Impressive (decent) sounding & easy to use vocal harmonizer. For studio recording I think a dedicated standalone vocal harmonizer would be in order, but for live performance, I think the Tyros harmonizer is very acceptable, and even better sounding than the 2000 in that the backup individual voices sound more distinct & clear.

Worst things:

1) Keyboard body & frame made entirely of plastic (no metal).

2) Floppy disk tray a waste of space and if eliminated would have allowed for a shorter keyboard.

3) Flimily designed music rack with awkward attachment. I don't use it at all.

4) Music Finder: Unfullfilled potential. The Tyros/PSR2100 music finder is a terrific feature which I use 'all the time', but it could be greatly enhanced 10 fold (and very easily) if Yamaha added storing & calling up a 'reg memory bank' file from within 'Music Finder' as well. In addition, Music Finder currently cannot access files on the Tyros hard drive. Both of these issues could be easily addressed via OS update.

5) Continuously repeating 'fill to self' absent via foot pedal. This is an obvious bug on the Tyros alone, as the PSR2000/2100 & 9000pro support it.

6) No built in speakers: This was an intial #1 concern for me, but I no longer miss this on the Tyros. Transport of the Tyros sattelites & sub woofer is actually easier (to me) than transporting a single 50 lb keyboard, and the Tyros speakers sound a lot better than any built in Yamaha speakers as well, though I'm currently utilizing a single (modified) Motion Sound KP-100S (all in one stereo unit) in place of the Tyros speakers and find them terriffic for small-medium venues.

7) Shorter keyboard: The Tyros could have been easily designed to be a bit shorter in length if Yamaha would have eliminated the useless floppy disk tray and moved the mod wheels to above the keyboard instead of to the side (left).

8) USB flakiness: I've experienced some flaky USB connectivity though the latest Tyros OS and the addition of its new 'mass storage' feature has reduced this significantly.

9) Cannot play left hand bass lines, while triggering chords with right hand (right voice)

10) No onboard sampler support to add totally new sounds.

In closing, I can only tell you that I really LOVE the Tyros and find it more than satisfies both my live performance and personal music making satisfaction. The key to the best keyboard imho is finding one with not only the most realistic & satisfying sounds and styles, but one that doesn't 'get in the way' of allowing you to easily & intuitively 'make music'. The Tyros best fits the bill for me in this regard.

- Scott

#163462 - 09/02/03 03:18 PM Re: Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Fran,
just wondering why you're comparing some of the functions on a Discover 5 to an arranger like the Tyros. If you're mainly using midifiles , aren't you possibly better off with the discover 5. I heard some mp3's demo's of it's voice processor a while back, and they sounded quite amazing, especially the one where the fellow spoke into the mike, and the end result sounded as if he had sung it . I don't actually sing, so I really wouldn't know a good voice processor from a bad one, but it sounded good to me.

Are you actually thinking of getting Tyros, because you're tired of waiting around , hoping Roland will bring out a new arranger, or do you feel it's time for a change ( hee hee) I used ask myself these questions, every time I rushed out and bought the latest new beaut, arranger or synth that had just hit the market. Wondered why I did it a few months down the track when I eventually sold it after realizing I was happier with the brand I already had ( in my case it was the kn's).

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#163463 - 09/02/03 04:15 PM Re: Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
trtjazz Offline

Mike,
You certainly can run "the whole enchilada" to the sub outs/main outs/or any variation in between.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#163464 - 09/02/03 04:54 PM Re: Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
Idatrod Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by trtjazz:
Mike,
You certainly can run "the whole enchilada" to the sub outs/main outs/or any variation in between.
Terry

Thanks for clearing that up Terry. Now are those Sub outs Fixed or run off the Master Volume? Fixed level provides subtle audio nuances that can be adjusted in conjunction with Main outs and even internal speakers-(oops, Tyros CON , by the Master Volume thus providing optimal Monitoring conditions IMO when Montoring and Mixing. Any way, "Fran, that makes 10 PROS and only 8 CONS. One more reason to get the Tyros.

Best regards,
Mike

#163465 - 09/02/03 04:57 PM Re: Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
Idatrod Offline

BTW, I had Mexican food for lunch today.

Best regards,
Mike

#163466 - 09/02/03 07:17 PM Re: Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Rikki, the Tyros has some of the features that are found on the DisCover 5, namely the 4 markers that can be assigned to a sequence[ allowing you to go back to pre determined part of the sequence], this capability along with arranger functions caused my interest,,When Roland releases a new board with the DisCover features and an arranger, I will most likely give it a try..Over the last 20 years I have and still do prefer Roland products, not that I have not owned and appreciated others..If something is good , I will always give it credit[I have owned just about every manufactured keyboard], even when it was a vocation, secretly it was always my hobby..So when I go on a search and buy spree...it's for fun..

#163467 - 09/02/03 08:49 PM Re: Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The sub outs are NOT affected by the master volume knob. Anything routed to these jacks will goit's own way to a mixer. You could re-route it back INTO the Tyros using the loop in. That's a cool way to get better mixing options and still have a one shot volume knob.

#163468 - 09/02/03 11:02 PM Re: Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
Idatrod Offline

It sounds like you're almost convinced about getting a Tyros Dave. I almost get the feeling you are defending the Tyros; almost like you already own one and are truly in love with it and want the world to know.

And that's fine with me. It really is an awesome sounding Arranger. Lots of features, lots of Polyphony, (can't be expanded though ), easily transportable - "if you don't lug around those add-ons ); but all in all it is a great Board. PS: I think it's worth getting just for those great Drum Kits and 128 notes of Polyphony if nothing else. But there IS plenty else too.

Best regards,
Mike

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online