SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#163439 - 09/01/03 04:41 PM Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Scott, I like a lot of the things the PSR2100 has and does, along with a few things I don't like...Can you edit a GM drumkit on the Tyros[user], or edit a user drumkit and remap it to a GM location for SMF playback? Tell me the reasons I should get a Tyros? I know you said it has 4 playback markers as does the DisCover5 in SMF play..Does the Tyros read a SMF and show chords in the display automatically as the DisCover 5 does? I know the 2100 can but you have to enter the chords..I do like the harmonizer on the 2100[it seems to be better than the2000], is the Tyros better? Is the keyboard[Tyros]key feel like the Pro[DX7 type]? Does after touch work well and assignable to many applications? Can a volume pedal controll expression to any assignable part, or does it only work globally? Give me your top ten best and worst things about the Tyros..Since I have not checked out a Tyros yet, I would value your comments....Anyone else too..

#163440 - 09/01/03 05:30 PM Re: Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Fran, I don't believe the Tyros can 'automatically' display Chords in the display from an SMF. It only displays "if" there is chord data embedded in the Midi file. I would be surprised if the Discover 5 could display Chords if the SMF didn't first contain "embedded" chord data in the Midi file.

The Tyros probably has the best onboard Vocal Harmonizer of any Arranger Keyboard on the market at the moment. Also the Keybed on the Tyros has a much better feel than the PSR 2000/2100 IMO. And although some people say that the Live! Grand Piano on the PSR 2100 is the same Sample as on the Tyros, I don't agree with that sentiment. The Tyros' Live! Grand Piano has a much more appealing sound and is of better quality IMO than the PSR 2100's. Fran, the Drumkits on the Tyros are of "much" higher quality than the PSR 2100's. I've stated before that I thought the greatest improvement on the Tyros over the PSR 2000, (the PSR 2100 wasn't out yet), was the great sounding Drumkits. Of much greater use than the unusable Mega Voices "except when playing the Mega Voices in the Styles; there of little worth IMO."

PROS: 128 note Polyphony, Aftertouch, superb Drumkits, very decent onboard Harmonizer, better Key feel, superb sounding Voices, Hard Drive capability, USB, R1 & R2 Voices along with Main and Left, three Foot pedal jacks.

CONS: No onboard Speakers, No Aux Outs, No repeat to Fill function in conjunction with a standard Foot pedal, No ability to call up Styles or Registrations directly from the Hard Drive - (they have to be saved to User Memory first), the width on the Tyros is over 45" (almost, if not already wide enough to be a 76 Key keyoard, good luck on trying to Edit a Drumkit, don't use the Tyros' LCD display in direct sunlight because it's been said it is basically unreadable, the Tyros' Music Stand is not designed optimally - "there have been reports of Backaches and other physical maladies associated with using the Tyros' Music Stand".

Well that's 9 PROS and 8 CONS Fran. I guess that means you should go ahead and get a Tyros because the PROS outweigh the CONS. PS: Talking about weight; the PSR 2100 is over 4 lbs. lighter than the Tyros and with the Tyros you will have to lug around Speaker add-ons if you transport it with the intention of using the add-ons. Something to be aware of.

Best regrads,
Mike

#163441 - 09/01/03 05:33 PM Re: Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Idatrod:
No onboard Speakers, No Aux Outs

Mike,
The Tyros HAS aux outs. You have twp pairs of outputs to route anyway you choose.

#163442 - 09/01/03 05:42 PM Re: Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
Fran Carango Offline

Thanks Mike,, for the record the Roland Discover absolutely reads chords from any SMF..Matter of fact it reads the current measure and the next measure , given enough time to play the right chords,,This is a great feature and I was hoping that the Yammy did this since it has the song markers..Are you saying no way to fixing a drum kit in a position to play the right drums in all sequences?

#163443 - 09/01/03 05:44 PM Re: Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
Fran Carango Offline

Alright Dave , give me your top ten , plus and negative,,,,you know what I like?

#163444 - 09/01/03 05:50 PM Re: Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
Idatrod Offline

Hi Dave. The Tyros has Sub outputs- "2" of them - but no Fixed Level or regular Aux Ouputs. I doubt very seriously if you could use the Sub outputs for a Stereo Aux output signal. Plus I'd reckon to say they wouldn't be Fixed Level either if you could. Okay, here's the Tyros' output specs taken from the Yamaha US site:

Phones, Line Out Main (L/L+R, R), Sub 1/2
Loop Send (L/L+R, R), AUX In Loop Return (L/L+R, R), Trim Vol.
To Sub Woofer L/R, To Left/Right Speaker
MIC/Line In - Dynamic MIC (Imp. 250 ohm recommended) Trim, Input Volume, Signal/Over Indicator.

No specfic Aux Outputs mentioned.

Best regards,
Mike

#163445 - 09/01/03 05:54 PM Re: Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Fran, you are on the slippery slope. Nobody can help you.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 09-01-2003).]

#163446 - 09/01/03 06:04 PM Re: Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
Idatrod Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Are you saying no way to fixing a drum kit in a position to play the right drums in all sequences?

Fran, you can use the Mixing Console of course to 'change' the Drumkits to your liking, ie., Standard1 Kit to BrushKit, etc. and then save the change. So the next time you open that particular Midi file in the Tyros the new Drumkit you choose will be the one the Midi file uses when you play it. You can even change Drumkits in realtime while the Midi file is playing and it will keep using that particular Drumkit you choose until you change it again. You have to remember to 'save' the change to make it permanent.

Maybe I'm not understanding your question thoroughly Fran.

#163447 - 09/01/03 06:06 PM Re: Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
Fran Carango Offline

Frank, while I have your attention: Will I be able to us the Hyper Canvas as a wave table, accessing via VanBasco, as we do with VSC88h..?Also will there be a conflict with XP pro, I recall I had a problem last year with installing VSC88 on a laptop running XP home..Could I install HC backwards compatible if necessary???Hopefully I can use HC without a host program like Sonar..BTW Frank I 'm not slipping in slop, just thinking out loud and am curious how the rest of the world[Yammy players] are doing it...If I can only have one[or keep one]...it will be the G...Fran

#163448 - 09/01/03 06:11 PM Re: Scott Yee, tell me why I need a Tyros?
Fran Carango Offline

Mike you got it right...but I was looking for a solution that would use an edited drum kit in place of the brush kit..I would not edit and save my sequences[over 100,000], I don't have enough years ahead of me to do that...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online