SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#162965 - 02/26/03 08:44 AM Re: Have you ever faked it?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Just to get something straight, and I hope I didn't give the wrong impression ... but I fully agree with my brothers on the faking issue ... if I'm doing a midi with no playing, I'm going to let people know it, one way or another...
t.

#162966 - 02/26/03 08:44 AM Re: Have you ever faked it?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
The last time I faked it , it was with my wife !

The possibilities for a zinger here are endless. I must hold back, hold back, hold back. . .
DonM

#162967 - 02/26/03 08:49 AM Re: Have you ever faked it?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
This is a funny one.. I actually FAKED a song I wrote during a weddding anniversary performance. I friend got me the gig, and was bragging on and on to the couple how I wrote music, and the couple requested I write an instrumental piece for just them to dance to.. I thought this was a good idea so I wrote the song.. Here's where the problem came in.. The song I wrote was awsome, but the piano solo was SO DAMN HARD TO PLAY! So finally I said the hell with it.. I chose a track and ended up re-recording this solo track like 50 times until I got it just right. When it came time to play the song.. I turned off R1 on my keyboard and Milli Vanillied it all the way baby Even though it was my own song, I just couldn't bare to screw up that piano part while the couple was dancing... Everyone did like the song though, and I made a copy of it for the couple to keep.. The whole thing lasted 2 hours (most of which speakers were talking).. I must have had 1/2 hour total playing time and still made $300 bucks off the deal..

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#162968 - 02/26/03 09:09 AM Re: Have you ever faked it?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
The big cruise lines have been "faking it" for years. On a lot of their big production shows its just a keyboard guy and drummer where anywhere from a 6 to 12 pc band used to be. One of the "pop" lounges on the last Carnival cruise I was on was jumpin' to the music of a guitar player/singer and his laptop.

Up until a couple of years ago I did everything live. With the diversity of requests and influx of Karaoke (play anything) players, I have had to put in some midi or MP3s for songs I can't or don't want to do.

Is it easier than playing live? Not necessarily...finding or making the midis that authentically reproduce what some audiences expect is a LOT of work. I used to do Electric Slide live...but (hard as it is to believe, even I have to admit) Marcia Griffith does it much better than I do. And the dancers don't give a tinker's damn that I take a mini-break while they are sliding.

I don't take the prescribed 15 minute breaks anymore. Now its "mini-breaks" while the dancers fill the floor to an MP3 or midi and I get a short breather or set up a special registration for the next song.

Trying to fool the audience? NO WAY. They can see I am not playing and I make no bones about not being able to do every single song ever written or mucking up a request from someone 35 years younger than I am who wants to hear a specific tune just like the one they heard on the radio.

Seigfried and Roy can't really make an elephant disappear. But, their shows are sold out.

Eddie

#162969 - 02/26/03 09:16 AM Re: Have you ever faked it?
Dnj Offline

Just the idea of playing an Arranger KB is a form of Faking it as far as the audience knows. They hear drums, horns, strings and to them "he's playing backing cassettes" Unless its just you alone singin with a piano or guitar they have no idea what we're doing on stage be it SMF, Mp3, Ar Kb or whatever and they don't care as long as they are entertained and can dance and enjoy.This is due to the saturation on DJ's vs live bands.

do your thing, make money and be happy

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-26-2003).]

#162970 - 02/26/03 10:11 AM Re: Have you ever faked it?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Donny is right on target when he says: "Do your thing, make money and be happy".

I don't want to exhibit hard feelings on the forum..but I do get ticked when I think about one of my competitors who sets up a KB and pretends to play it all night. Fact is...he couldn't make an augmented chord if he tried. But he is a good singer and the kb is his prop. I get the feeling audiences think he is more diversified than I am..and I know for a fact he works more than I do...but I can't stand the thought of deceiving the audience like he does.

I have played in big bands (up to 15 pieces), 5-7 piece pop and country bands, small lounge combos, as a duo and as a single. I never made more money per job as I have as a single. Even though I offer a female singer at 1/3 more cost more than I charge alone, most of my clients opt for the single. In my market it really does get down to economics.

Are we a dying breed? Not as long as there are people that want their kind of music and good entertainment at affordable rates.

Even some of the DJs who are forever having to buy new discs to keep current are charging 2-3 times what the arranger KB guys here are. Some work off of a folding table...other come in with a ton of equipment. They can have the weddings for the 22 year old set... not my bag. But, the mature audiences are not going to pay those kind of prices for disc jockeys.

We all have our niches. I don't expect to ever be offered a TV slot, a record deal or win a Grammy.

Like Donny says, I am doing my thing, making the money and lovin' it.

Eddie

#162971 - 02/26/03 09:52 PM Re: Have you ever faked it?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
There is NO NEED to fake anything. If you use a prerecorded track .... just get out in front and sing like a front person ! Believe me, the crowds are VERY used to that scene. There is dignity in performing live to backing trax .... but there is NONE in pretending. You'll grow to hate yourself.

#162972 - 02/28/03 08:32 AM Re: Have you ever faked it?
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
NO one has to fake just a midi file, how about the intro and ending of the song from the auto accompaniment? I think it will sound professional to fake play during these.

#162973 - 02/28/03 08:55 AM Re: Have you ever faked it?
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
The last time I faked it , it was with my wife !

Dan,
Unlike Don M who is obviously more of a gentleman than me.....

yeah but is that the last time she did? Just joking of course.

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#162974 - 02/28/03 09:06 AM Re: Have you ever faked it?
trtjazz Offline

To all,
I can see clearly the arguments on both sides of this issue.

Only doing originals it really has not affected me for quite awhile, however in the early years when I was doing covers, what I learned quickly and oh so sadly is that I was basically a jukebox to the crowd. Local club entertainers, I don't think the drinking and dancing crowd much care (and half wouldn't have a clue if you're good at it), what the deal is. There are exceptions of course. On the other hand when they are paying $100. a ticket to see their favorite band then I think it matters to them. Even then though what they want to hear is exactly how it sounded on the cd they got....back to the jukebox syndrome.

I must confess to some of this in myself.....years ago going to see Led Zepplin perform in their prime, I didn't even think it was the real band they sounded so different from their album. Beach Boys live.....huh? How come your albums sound so sweet with the harmonies and not even close live. On the other hand saw the Guess Who in their prime and they were dead on it to their studio work.

All that being said I have to say, faking it in a live performance never was nor would be an option for me.

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online