SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#162606 - 10/30/02 11:19 AM Re: new arranger: Yamaha PF1000?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Frank has 10gigs of Wave ROM and after he upgrades, he will have 30 gigs!! The PSR2000 has 16 megabytes divided by 793 tones and organ flutes. Never heard a softsynth piano. If you're there Frank, does it come close to an acoustic piano?
Starkeeper

#162607 - 10/30/02 12:50 PM Re: new arranger: Yamaha PF1000?
Clif Anderson Offline

B2, Starkeeper,

Right now the piano is flourishing. But the trends are not in its favor. There is little room for improving piano technology (it seems). Space and wood are becoming more precious. OTOH,synths are becoming more powerful and affordable.

Also, how valuable is the piano sound? If there were a synth/sampler that could emulate an acoustic piano perfectly, including its feel, but could not produce any other sounds--how would it fare in the marketplace? I think it would lose out to synths with lesser piano sounds but greater sonic breadth.

Anyway, comparing pianos to dinosaurs is not an insult. After all, the dinosaurs were magnificent--in their day

#162608 - 10/30/02 02:56 PM Re: new arranger: Yamaha PF1000?
B2 Offline

Loc: Westfield, Massachesetts, USA
Cliff,
I agree that multiple voice synths have a greater appeal to keyboard players these days because we are all budget conscious, and it's great only having to utilize one or 2 boards and get a whole lot of versatility. lets face it, they are lighter, sound great for the most part and as you eluded to, they don't have to have a perfect piano sound because they mix in with the band. However, I still believe, there will always be roadies who will lift them and maintainers to maintain them, and they will always be utilized in a concert settings when the artists demand the best piano sound for their music. I have witnessed alot of concerts lately. Billy Joel (Steinway), Elton John (Yamaha, sometimes a diskclavier, primary is a standard stringed grand), Michael W Smith, Yamaha C-7. Even singers who don't play the piano bring grands with them (Mary Chapin Carpenter and James Taylor to name only 2). I have to believe the piano is obviously the only instrument that can actually feel and sound like a piano. Anything else will be a cheap imitation...perhaps a very good cheap imitation, but when it comes down to the nut cuttin, and if people have the means to lug them around, they will always be the first choice of keyboard players who play the piano. (not synths and organs). Anyways, none of this really means anything I guess...just one mans opinion. I do like the clavinovas and diskclaviers though. They are outstanding sounding and certainly are a blast to play and perform with. Cheers B2

[This message has been edited by B2 (edited 10-30-2002).]

#162609 - 10/30/02 08:22 PM Re: new arranger: Yamaha PF1000?
zuki Offline

Dreamer,
Interested more in the PF1000, especially at the price you quoted. Wondering...is this unit somewhat like the Pro? Does it have an on board sequencer, styles and similarities of the Pro...sure looks like it! Exactly what I am seeking is a top notch product with about 2000 dollars to spend. Above that, I sleep on the couch.
Regards,
Zuk

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online