Tom brings up a good point,which is important to the kind of job I do.

Using sequences MP3's...whatever, would not work for me, because I'm constantly looking at the audience for feedback. I like to do medleys on the fly. Sometimes, when I'm "pacing" the room, I plan the next tune not as a tune, but as a style which fits. After choosing the style, I choose an appropriate tune based on the age of the listeners and other factors.

This is not an elitest approach or in any way ment to knock those who use other means to reach their goals. It simply works for me doing the jobs I do.

I am not an entertainer, and sometimes take issue with those who think that only entertainers are well paid and work often.

The point is I'm doing what works for me in this geography. I can live with and justify using arranger features as an economic necessity in today's market. I'd rather work my conventional trio 5 nights a week, but that isn't going to happen. As often as I can, I add a piece or two, and that's most satisfying.

Everyone needs to carve out their nitch and make it work.

Hat's off to anyone who can do that. however you do it. After all, that's why we're all playing.

russ