SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#161496 - 10/19/05 10:23 AM Why do you love your SD-1 ?
Dnj Offline

pro/con Opinions appreciated..

Thanx

#161497 - 10/19/05 10:47 AM Re: Why do you love your SD-1 ?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Is this going to be a childish exchange of words on this post or are you going to be serious??

#161498 - 10/19/05 01:04 PM Re: Why do you love your SD-1 ?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Donny,

Many things... but what comes to mind first is 76 keys and great sounding live drums. Also, re-drum - being able to play those live drums replacing the drums in a midi... very cool feature. Not sure if Midjay has that, but I think so.

Killer saxaphones, average/good guitars and organs, but much improved with AJs EXP upgrade, which also has a dynamite stereo grand - fantastic!

Relating to another subject discussed recently, when I'm performing with the SD1, it sounds like a very good "live band". With the PSR3000, like a very good "finished CD". My point being, when you have that laptop front and center for all to see, plus a polished CD sound, yea, more than a few folks could be thinking DJ, canned music, not live.

Your setup (yours, Dave's, and Gary's) is a very slick setup, IMO. But it does "broadcast" the laptop. I've been using a laptop for all of 2 weeks now - front and center, but somewhat concealed. From the audience POV, it looks like a music rack.

Glenn

#161499 - 10/19/05 01:38 PM Re: Why do you love your SD-1 ?
Dnj Offline

Glenn.....& Im being serious Fran ........

I Have used an SD-1 when they first appeared on the scene.....I was very impressed with its sounds & styles for sure geting that kick butt "LIVE" groove is awesome......keyfel I remember is like night & day vs the Yammys Ive used also....there was some very kool features also that I loved ....eg: drum lock, bass lock, etc that would let you hold back a certain drum or bass styles while you changed variations upor down which is very useful in a live situation.....it has a sleeker footprint also which I like for a 76 KEY KB also...& I also like ALL THE BUTTONS too vs touch screens, wheels etc etc ......If I remember smf playback was excellent too using Ketron sounds.......I'm gonna make a decision very soon betweeen the Midjayw/controller vs an SD-1 we'll see whats right for me that is the key thing!....
but I appreciate all the opinions here on the SZ ..

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-19-2005).]

#161500 - 10/19/05 02:13 PM Re: Why do you love your SD-1 ?
Shade of pale Offline

Loc: Allen, TX, USA
SD1 just simply fits my need, and my ears. It is best for what I do which is arranger playing. I've been plying one since it first came out, been trying to replace it with something new, bought TYROS with the intention to replace it, still have it, but never taken it out to gig. SD1 is kind of like "Security blanket" for me when I play.

SD9, Audya5, Genos, Roland XP60, 2 Yamaha DSR12, 2 Yamaha Sub, 2 Turbosound 2000

#161501 - 10/19/05 02:21 PM Re: Why do you love your SD-1 ?
Dnj Offline

There seems to be a real cult following with the SD1 which I like to hear.....many people swear by it and that shows me a deep alliance toward the SD-1 so something must be right
man I hate decisons?

#161502 - 10/19/05 02:25 PM Re: Why do you love your SD-1 ?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Shade of Pale, you aren't THAT far from me here in the Shreveport area. We'll have to get together some time.
I like the SD1 a lot. I have been considering going to the Midjay and controller also, but can't make up my mind. Maybe Ketron will bring out an SD2 soon?
DonM

#161503 - 10/19/05 02:41 PM Re: Why do you love your SD-1 ?
Shade of pale Offline

Loc: Allen, TX, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Shade of Pale, you aren't THAT far from me here in the Shreveport area. We'll have to get together some time.
I like the SD1 a lot. I have been considering going to the Midjay and controller also, but can't make up my mind. Maybe Ketron will bring out an SD2 soon?
DonM

Don, I read in the Bose PA post that you and HankB might come up to Dallas to check it out, please let me know when, we can arrange to meet, i'll email you my cell later. Hope I can get you some Beers!!!!!!!!

SD9, Audya5, Genos, Roland XP60, 2 Yamaha DSR12, 2 Yamaha Sub, 2 Turbosound 2000

#161504 - 10/19/05 03:18 PM Re: Why do you love your SD-1 ?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Shade of pale:
Don, I read in the Bose PA post that you and HankB might come up to Dallas to check it out, please let me know when, we can arrange to meet, i'll email you my cell later. Hope I can get you some Beers!!!!!!!!

We'll do that for sure! Maybe we'll bring SemiLive with us. He can DRINK some beer.
DonM

#161505 - 10/19/05 03:19 PM Re: Why do you love your SD-1 ?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Your setup (yours, Dave's, and Gary's) is a very slick setup, IMO. But it does "broadcast" the laptop. I've been using a laptop for all of 2 weeks now - front and center, but somewhat concealed. From the audience POV, it looks like a music rack.

Glenn, I working on a new concept that may blow away all of the misconceptions the laptop creates, plus solve a host of problems with the keyboard's lousy LCD display.

If you recall, I've been trying to located a sunlight viewable LCD display that is compatible with the PSR-3000's video output. Just a few days ago, I stumbled across a website that had something along these lines, and it was available in several screen sizes. I have a few other projects that must be completed first, but I hope to work in this one in the next few months, possibly during January or Feburary if the schedle ever slows down. I'll post my progress at that time.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online