SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#161390 - 12/13/01 10:05 AM 9000 pro vs. SD1
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
They have both been out there for a while. What are views on these two compared to each other.,
Solo sounds
GM playback
Realistic type styles,
styles when incorporated in a band,
outputs clean enough for recording,
noise like 60 hz hum
navigation in operating system
op system stability during gigs
..., stuff like that, thanks

#161391 - 12/13/01 10:32 AM Re: 9000 pro vs. SD1
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Solo sounds
***Call it even

GM playback
***SD1 has better GM sound map

Realistic type styles
***SD1 is Steve Gadd
***9kp is Ringo Starr
I prefer solid to flashy (Yamaha)

styles when incorporated in a band
***depends on how "busy" you want to sound. The Yamaha is solid, basic and has a tight groove. The SD1 is a bit more impressive at first, but it's "note intensive" - Wears thin after a while - "too many notes"

outputs clean enough for recording
*** no problem with either

noise like 60 hz hum
*** Yammy is quiet as a mouse - I never recorded the SD1 in a critical situation.

navigation in operating system
*** Yamaha ALL the way - soooo easy

op system stability during gigs
*** again- yamaha - NO lags, no issues.
SD1 still needs to evolve bit more.

#161392 - 12/13/01 02:44 PM Re: 9000 pro vs. SD1
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
thanks Uncle Dave,

Its between those 2 machines, or the 10000 when it comes out

#161393 - 12/13/01 05:06 PM Re: 9000 pro vs. SD1
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
If you can wait at least a year, I would wait for the 10000

Otherwise tough choice

(go with the Pro....go with the Pro...go with the Pro... )

Eric

#161394 - 12/13/01 07:20 PM Re: 9000 pro vs. SD1
Nimrod Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric, B:
If you can wait at least a year, I would wait for the 10000

Eric (and all for that matter), is there DEFINITLY going to be a Yamaha 10000 out next year? - or anytime?, because I hear very little of this "10000", and no one I know of has any info on this a t all. If there DEFINITLY will be one out, then it is worth the wait I would say.

I wonder if the Yamaha 10000 will be a re-hash of the 9000 (not a bad thing), or a totally redesigned keyboard, with features like those on the CVP piano's (192 POLY etc). I would be interested in a Yamaha 10000, but would not want to wait till Year 2003! (Which it could be). I have feelings that the Yamaha 10000 - (if there will be one,) will icorporate featutes found on the Yamaha Motif - and with a fully fledged Sampler, with the ability to import Akia etc - Via CDROM .

Also, the Technics/Panasonic may introduce a Keyboard like the KN7000 or something, but not heard anything on this either. My feelings are that Technics, somehow, are coming to the end of the line as far as keyboards are concerned (just a gut feeling- honestly!)), as Matsushita don’t seem to be doing too well in this department, and staff has been cut I think. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a Technics Arranger ever again (well under the Technics name anyway).

BTW a Yamaha 10000 with *fully* Weighted keys would be nice, although rock organ fans etc, with those fast "glissandos" might not welcome this as much.

NR

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited 12-13-2001).]

#161395 - 12/13/01 11:10 PM Re: 9000 pro vs. SD1
JonPro Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
9000PRO is all over the SD1 for operability, performance and reliability. Yamaha created a winner with the PRO. I guess "son of PRO" will be along the lines of 256-512 poly, solo voice configurable electronic touch control - you know, dial a weight for piano players to organ players, with a touch of breath control for wind and brass, not to mention bow control for strings. But then, what are we trying to do here you will also need a button to enable synth emulation.

#161396 - 12/14/01 07:06 AM Re: 9000 pro vs. SD1
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
If the 10000PRO is a fuller featured 9000PRO, then I'll very interested. It would be nice if it came packaged with a couple of the plugin modules already built into the main keyboard, more RAM, and a fast hardrive.

Memory prices are incredibly cheap now. I just bought 256 MB of RAM for $40 (although flash ram always runs a little higher). Why couldn't Yamaha utilize all the cheap memory available and give us a ton of larger sampled styles, and more voices in flash memory? We're not talking big bucks to do this.

If we're dreaming . . . I'd also like an MP3 to midi to style converter. I'd love to take an mp3 and create a style file from it.

Please don't wake me . . .
Steve

#161397 - 12/14/01 11:36 AM Re: 9000 pro vs. SD1
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi NR,

nobody knows for sure.
What I have heared is that it probably won't be called Psr-10000.

The 640 became the 1000
The 740 became the 2000
The 9000 ..... ???

One thing however has been certain in the past, that Yamaha has introduced their new KB's first at the "Musik Messe" in Frankfurt, and brought it onto the market later that year, with the US always 6 month behind.

I think, come Febuary we will know more how long the wait might be....

As for the Pro, I think we will have to wait even longer......

The trend has been: first Psr....., than a year later the ....Pro (same with the SD1)

Who knows for sure? But I have the feeling it will be a nice toy
As UD stated many times we will never be satisfied. There is always something else we will be missing/wanting....

Let's wait and see...

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait....

Meanwhile: enjoying my PRO

Eric

#161398 - 12/14/01 04:34 PM Re: 9000 pro vs. SD1
mc Offline

Loc: New York
Hi,

If I may put in my two cents, and this is just my opinion....

I own a sd1 and I tried the Yamaha 9000pro
before I bought the SD1.

I have to say that when I took the sd1 home. I noticed some of the problems it had and I was upset about the keyboard. but the new version the was released by ketron corrected many of those problems. I am a lot more satified.

What sold me on the SD1:

1.being a solton user for a long time expected a good keyboard. (ms50-ms100-X1)

2. I was never impressed with yamaha I know that they had very good arrangers many years ago. (PSR6700) when other keyboard companys were just venturing to the arranger world.
But I belive that Yamaha at one point really had nothing that worth spending money on.
(psr7000-8000-9000)not the pro.

3. The price of the Yamaha is very high. sam ash was asking for $3500.00 for the Yamaha 9000 pro.
I thought that was crazy.

4. Also It didn't have that many styles that I was looking for. The latin styles were very weak and unrealistic. I belive that it has the "music Database" but not the styles that I was looking for.

5. The saleman couldn't tell me it the yamaha had a hard drive.

6. Overall to rap up my story:

I was more impressed with the SD1 then the Yamaha. I think the the styles on the SD1 are more realistic and voices are excellent. The guitars, the organs, sax and brass.
(but the Yamaha voices were also good)the hard drive and the easy panel functions are a plus. It was easier to move around the SD1 then the yamaha for me. (being a solton user already)

I know that the X1 is an older machine but I find that even I would prefer the X1 over the Yamaha 9000pro.

Thanks, hope I haven't offended anyone.....

#161399 - 12/14/01 05:17 PM Re: 9000 pro vs. SD1
Roel Offline

MC,
I'm with you and share your opinion.
I own an SD1 for about 6 months. Last week I got a chance to play the 9kPro and 2k.....
Yamaha's don't cover my demands and sound weak/average (in my opinion)
The Yammie intro's, fill-ins variations and endings sound 'simple' compared to the Ketron (again : In my opinion)

The SD1 is quiet as long as you disable the mic-input.
I just finished a CD-project and used ONLY the SD1 : superb !!

The SD1 does not need the PRO-extention.....

Roel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online