SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#16080 - 03/09/02 08:05 AM SK880......Questions!
woodside Offline

Loc: Alix ,AB Ca
What is 'Song Error (4)' ??? and how do you correct it???

Is there a song error 1,2,& 3 ??? or for that matter, 6,7 etc. ad infinitum.

[This message has been edited by woodside (edited 03-09-2002).]

#16081 - 03/10/02 01:27 PM Re: SK880......Questions!
dongggoi Offline

Loc: Wichita, KS, USA
Hi there!

Ah, the dreaded mythical song error 4! How shall even begin to explain this unexplainable phenomenon! First of all, let me offer you some suggestions as to what to do. First of all, this error will stick with your GEM midifile, no matter what you do to edit it. Don't worry, the file will still play, just escape everytime the message comes on. In fact, you may be able to continue programming the song. There are other song errors, like song error 14 or something insane like that. It's like a little virus, that sticks with the file. THat is why when you program, you should always save whenever you add something new. Save it in a different file. I even developed a naming convention, you know, the song name with numbers showing the different versions, a higher number meaning a later version. That way, whenever the nuisance of Song Error 4 arises, you can go to the previous version of the song and continue from there, after turning off the keyboard and resetting the memory.

I used to have an SK 76. I was one of the first ones to get it actually. Great drum organ and drum sounds. I used it in one or two songs and every engineer that heard the songs would ask me what drum set I used.

Unfortunately, one of the biggest weaknesses of the keyboard is its relatively unstable sequencer. Powerful sequencer, but unstable. With the above workarounds, you can still have a great programming session with it though.

Hope this helps!

#16082 - 03/10/02 03:19 PM Re: SK880......Questions!
woodside Offline

Loc: Alix ,AB Ca
Thanks for info. and tips, I don't suppose Norton could help either.

#16083 - 03/24/02 02:06 AM Re: SK880......Questions!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Song Error #4 is "undetermined error" and, unfortunately, this means that it could occur for any number of unknown reasons. Over the years we have found a number of situations which cause this error and in each case it has been resolved in an o.s upgrade. To minimize this error you should make sure that you have the latest o.s. version for your instrument.

As dongggoi correctly stated, this error lives within the file so, once a song that generates this error has been saved, the error is likely to occur whenever the file is loaded in the future. If you have a song with this problem you can fix it by saving the song to a blank disk as a MIDI file, resetting the instrument and then reloading the MIDI file version of the song. You may have to do some slight re-constuction of the voicing and effect settings but this is asurefire way to "clean" a song which has become infected with errors.

Chris

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online