SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#160080 - 03/16/05 12:28 PM Re: Slowdown on the forum?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I have to agree with you there Pro. I think Yamaha was out of line requesting the pics to be removed. What the hell happened to free speach? Obviously this keyboard was demoed somewhere and pics surfaced. It doesn't make any sense to me.

A good example of how Yammie acted like "jerks" in this is MotorTrend magazine. I've read that magazine many times and seen snapshot photos of the next SUV or Sedan, or Sports Car where the photographer caught a sneak peek of the vehicle being tested. GM, Ford, and other makers don't make them remove their pics from the magazines (and these are publicitations in the millions).

The Zone has been about a lot of other stuff not related to arrangers. I too am at fault for it as well. The addition of the "Bar" by Nigel was a good idea in my opinion. It's a good place to talk about everything else. I too think that there hasn't been much hooplaaa about arrangers lately. Roland's G-70 (from what I've read on the Zond) fell short with reviewers. Plus Yammie balling out on the next Tyros seems to have pissed off a lot of dedicated Yamaha fans as well.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#160081 - 03/16/05 02:30 PM Re: Slowdown on the forum?
Dnj Offline

Most other foums have moderators.......posts that are deemed "OFF TOPIC" ae simply removed by the moderator....after awhile people learn.

#160082 - 03/16/05 03:59 PM Re: Slowdown on the forum?
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
maybe yamaha was behind the expose themselves,after all there was alot of interest coming out of the G70,maybe yamaha was hoping that this would holdup sales of the roland until the tyros 11 comes out,give you a sneaky peak to see if you will bite,mike

#160083 - 03/16/05 04:17 PM Re: Slowdown on the forum?
quietDIN Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
I would think this would be one quick and easy solution for those wanting a pre-amp.

I bought a few several years ago for my phono's. Don't have a need for them yet, but heck, I bought them at the Dollar Store.
http://pcworld.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=431107/

Sorry Scott, but phono preamps meant to be used with magnetic cartridges probably wouldn't fit the requirement. They're far from flat; the RIAA equilization provides a lot of bass boost (about 20 dB), and a similar amount of treble cut. But if you got them for a buck each, you certainly didn't overpay.

My apologies in advance to anyone who thinks that *this* post is OT.

--Barry

[This message has been edited by quietDIN (edited 03-16-2005).]

#160084 - 03/16/05 04:23 PM Re: Slowdown on the forum?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I understand why some folks don't find the need or desire to talk about softsynths and soundfonts, because for the most part they have no real relavance in a hardware based system. Much like a discussion of "Tyros vs PA1x vs etc etc" or "Can PSR3000 use PSR 1000 styles" likely has little relevance to someone using One Man Band or one of the other soft arranger programs. ( not picking on your particular topics guys, just making a point ). Doesn't make any of these bad or irrelevant topics though right ?

In my software based hybrid arranger / workstation / analog modeling system, sound fonts and Vsti's have all the relevance in the world, because the system itself is software based and is very flexible.

I have no desire to discuss or comment about arrangers that I will likely never own, including the Tyros, PSR3000, PA1x, G70, and so on and so forth. For one, as far as playing experience with them, I'm a model or two behind, and have little if anything useful to add. I also don't feel any need to discuss my only hardware arranger, the PA80, since it has always worked pretty much just as advertised, and just as I have expected it to. It's an old model now, and I doubt That I'll ever see new aftermarket products that I can use with it. That said, I'm always happy to answer any question about it ( If I can ) that another member might have.

So yes, many of the topics aren't about the Tyros, or the PA1x, etc. I happen to think that's a good thing btw. I think the title of this forum legitimizes the discussions from those of us who use or prefer to discuss the use of a software arranger system, or am I reading it wrong ? Is it because it says "keyboard" in the forum title ? If it helps, my controller is a keyboard.....

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 03-16-2005).]

#160085 - 03/16/05 08:04 PM Re: Slowdown on the forum?
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
I'll check on the forum couple of times of a week... As was said, not much more to know about my arranger or any other, so I'm in to making Original music and started hanging in forums, like Terry's, where that is discussed... This is the best place to post for help.. Need a complicated new arranger with a $1000 below price tag to get this forum moving... By the way if anyone is in to making originals, you might want to visit us at http://www.clubchops.com been getting pretty active as of late.
DJ

[This message has been edited by beachbum (edited 03-16-2005).]

#160086 - 03/17/05 01:15 AM Re: Slowdown on the forum?
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
I don't know if this "identity crisis" has hit this forum before, or if it is just a byproduct from slow news in the industry, but for all it is worth, I wouldn't like this forum to become an "arranger only church".

I believe the purpose of a forum is the exchange of views, ideas, some fun, on a specified topic.

If you then broaden the view just a little bit and include arranger "systems" as well as keyboards (can't find a better word now), then softsynths or OMB like programs will fit the bill nicely.

The Bar is a wonderful addition for people who would also like to share their opinion on sports, weather, or the most wonderful invention ever made, women

Limiting the discussion only in hardware arrangers will make the forum more sterile, less fun, like some other forums I have seen around. The more "niche" the category, fewer people will talk about it, few will have interest, and fewer will post.

And then of course, when the Roland GW-5 or the new Tyros or whatever next hits the news, there will be a surge of posts and topics like these will be forgotten, right?

Or we may just wait for Scott Yee to recover from the flu and Uncle Dave to finish doing better things than posting here. Sometimes, half of the posts were theirs.

It too, shall pass.

#160087 - 03/17/05 03:29 AM Re: Slowdown on the forum?
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
I am mostly a guitarplayer, but have used the Tyros to play polkas and marches and sing-a-longs at weddings. I have also built midifiles with the styles and onboard sequences quickly. But now I am into studio backings and loop sequencing. Drums on demand and now bass in demand make fabulous live drum and bass loops built up as style sections. This gives me a backing with a sound quality that unfortunately the arrangers of today can't match.
Also, Yamaha is so anal retentive with their new stuff, ie. Digital Music Notebook which is very limited to what you can do with it, and no sequencing software like XG Works to edit yamahafiles and styles. It's a protectionism that I can't be bothered with anymore. I hope the forum will continue to evolve and also include not only keyboard arrangers as this market has tapered off a bit.

#160088 - 03/17/05 04:52 AM Re: Slowdown on the forum?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
My feelings exactly royandreno.
I had hoped Arrangers might evolve a little more than they have, but other than better samples and better storage capabilities, I don't see a lot of significant changes as new models arrive to replace old older ones.

I had hoped someone would be innovative enough to incorporate similar technologies used by Steven Kay in Karma, but with better control so that a user had a choice between using the locked patterns that exist now and algorithims like those used in Karma. It never happened, and I don't see any signs that it will.

Rayzoon's Jamstix has exactly the type of features I would like to see in a new arranger. It lays down drum tracks instantaneously as you play, and it can create them interactively, based on midi or audio input, or it can lay out predetermined patterns, or a combination of the two. A bit surprisingly to me, from the demo I tried, it works quite well. That is exactly the kind of functionalty I hoped to see an arranger have, but I just don't see Yamaha, Korg, or anyone else doing it anytime in the near future.

AJ

#160089 - 03/17/05 05:10 AM Re: Slowdown on the forum?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Enough already! (I learned that from DNJ) The last time I looked at the top of the page it said General Arranger Keyboard Forum. However, the forum has over the years, gradually transformed into a general music forum, of which the arranger keyboard is the centerpiece. We've discussed the merrits of every concievable speaker, amp system, mics, tyles of wires, recording devices, diagnosed computer problems, evaluated nearly every piece of recording software available and even advised folks how to transport their gear in a safe, secure manner. Synths are, like every facet of music, just another component of a very complex, but enjoyable profession, and for many, pastime.

Despite the fact that there hasn't been any lively discussions about amps, mics, etc during the past few weeks, it does not indicate the forum is gasping its last breath. When someone discovers a new, exciting, inovative product and posts the information, the responses will once again be lively.

Keep those creative juices flowing guys and gals, look for new and wonderful ways to make music. That's what makes this a great forum. Narrow it down to just one or two areas of expertise and I'll be among the first to seek greener pastures.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online