SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#158563 - 07/06/06 09:02 PM Roland EXR-7s or Korg PA50?
Albert168 Offline

Loc: Diamond Bar, CA, USA
Greeting Everyone,

First time here. I currently have a Roland Fantom X6. However, I played electronic organ before, and really misseded the way of organ playing, ie with both hands and feet, as my Technics orgen been gone for many years.
Recently, I just found that there were some types of midi pedal keyboard available. So, I am thinking... if I get another keyboard and a pedal keyboard, then I can play organ again.

In searching of my second keyboard, preferably arranger type, I zeroed down to Roland EXR-7s and Korg PA50. Is anyone who has experience with these two?
I like that EXR-7s has 76 keys, but PA50 seems have more feature.
Also, PA50 was made in China, anyone knows where EXR-7s was made?
Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Albert

#158564 - 07/06/06 10:44 PM Re: Roland EXR-7s or Korg PA50?
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
i used to have a pa50. good arranger, very good sounds and styles, but indeed the build quality was not the best. the reason why i sold it (one of the reasons) was the very anoying background noise coming out from line out conection. if i was going to record more than three audio tracks, the noise so loud that i ruin all my work.
anyway, that might've been a singular problem.

on the other hand, exr7 gives you good keys, 76 of them and pretty good sounds too, but not comparable to pa50. u could use it as a midi controler, it has good midi impl. (not the best anyway) and take advantage of that.

if i were you, i'd wait until e50/60 will be available.

#158565 - 07/07/06 07:48 AM Re: Roland EXR-7s or Korg PA50?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by adimatis:
if i were you, i'd wait until e50/60 will be available.

Adimatis is right. Probably end of July or August. It will be worth the wait.
Starkeeper

#158566 - 07/07/06 04:08 PM Re: Roland EXR-7s or Korg PA50?
Albert168 Offline

Thanks for the info.

Are E50/60 going to be available in US? At what price range?

#158567 - 07/07/06 09:20 PM Re: Roland EXR-7s or Korg PA50?
ralfaro Offline

Loc: Davie, Fl USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Albert168:
Greeting Everyone,

First time here. I currently have a Roland Fantom X6. However, I played electronic organ before, and really misseded the way of organ playing, ie with both hands and feet, as my Technics orgen been gone for many years.
Recently, I just found that there were some types of midi pedal keyboard available. So, I am thinking... if I get another keyboard and a pedal keyboard, then I can play organ again.

In searching of my second keyboard, preferably arranger type, I zeroed down to Roland EXR-7s and Korg PA50. Is anyone who has experience with these two?
I like that EXR-7s has 76 keys, but PA50 seems have more feature.
Also, PA50 was made in China, anyone knows where EXR-7s was made?
Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Albert.

I have a Yamaha PSR3000 that I have owned for the last year and a half or so and I just recently purchased a Roland EXR7S and have them both on a triple tear stand. I'll give you the pros and cons for the EXR7S in my own humble opinion.

Pros:
It has the 2 best pianos from the Fantom x. When properly amplified, the 2 grand pianos sound really good. The guitar voices are decent, but not in the same league with the MegaVoice guitars on the 3k.
The board is easy to learn with nice big buttons and my favorite feature is a numeric key pad.
It has 76 keys that I find to be a huge advantage for my own personal style of playing. Like you, I am not a piano player really. I used to play organ, so I don't care for weighted keys, so 76 keys gives plenty of breathing room for your left hand while still being able to set the split point low enough so you don't have to mess much with octave changes on the right hand. I like the key feel very much.
It has some really nice styles, and many of them I prefer over the 3k as they sound more modern to my ears.

Cons:
Apart from the pianos, E-pianos, and a couple of the guitars, the rest of the voices are so so. I'm sure you will prefer some of the voices on your Fantom x.
Although some of the styles are very good, there aren't enough of them for each category. You can easily however put a ton of styles in its 4mb flash via usb, or if you want, via floppy disk. I recently loaded some VA7 and G1000 styles, and it literally brought the EXR7S to life. There is something about many of the styles for some of the older Roland arrangers that seem to show a lot more creativity and naturalness.

Regarding the midi pedals, one of the forum members who owns a music store, George Kaye, very kindly recommended the Roland PK5A because they work out of the box with Roland keyboards. Although you can assign your own stuff, the defaults in the midi control mode are already set to do some of the start/stop/fill kind of stuff with the arranger of the EXR7S. They're pricy however at about $499 plus shipping. They cover 1 full octave and have switches you operate with your foot to use different modes, mono bass, poly bass, drums, effects, midi control, and a couple of others that work with the first 5 switches. I have seen these on eBay going for about $300 or so, maybe less for an older model.

Anyhow, what I love about this setup I have now is that I get the best of both worlds because I have some real quality voices in the Yamaha PSR3000 and lots of very cool styles on the Roland thanks to being able to find them on the net. I also have my 76 keys which makes a big difference at least for me. I still haven't experimented with midi between the Yamaha and Roland. Not real sure what to do there as I prefer the Roland styles and prefer the Yamaha voices. I'm not real good with midi, so I still have to explore that some more. Hope this helps some.

Rick Alfaro

Albert

#158568 - 07/07/06 10:25 PM Re: Roland EXR-7s or Korg PA50?
Albert168 Offline

Thanks. Rick

The midi pedal I have in mind is Studiologic by Fatar MP117 Dynamic MIDI Pedalboard Controller (17 Keys). Although I am sure the PK5 is good, but too much functions for me. I only need a basic pedal board, which can sound. I might not use the control functions anyway.

I am not considering PSR3k because I used to have a Yamaha Clavanova 109. Everytime I tried Yamaha's new keyboard, I always found some styles from before. I was a Yamaha kid. However, in my opinion, I feel Yamaha's quality been degraded since they turned their manufacturing from "made in Japan" to non-Japan.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online