SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#157955 - 01/18/01 09:06 AM Korg Triton or Roland VA-7?
sozo Offline

Loc: Kristiansand, , Norway
I have an old Rhodes model 660 which I have played for years. Now I want an arranger keyboard of some sort. I have tried to look for information on both Korg Triton and Roland VA-7 and have found most on Triton. Roland VA-7 I have had chance to play in local stores too and I like it.
I hope you people in this forum can provide me with some opinions on theses two keyboards - what is bad and what is good with them so I can compare and finally make up my mind :-)

Thanks

#157956 - 01/18/01 09:25 AM Re: Korg Triton or Roland VA-7?
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hello, The Triton is a synth and the VA 7 an arranger, the only possible link in between is that you can sample, there is where the VA 7 has an advantage, the "varyphrase", it will not make the Dark Vader FX, so if you want an arranger, The VA7 is what you want, but remember it has only 61 keys, so if you are piano oriented, wait and check the Solton SD1, has 76 keys, is an arranger and can sample also w/out the unwanted FX.

#157957 - 01/18/01 09:59 AM Re: Korg Triton or Roland VA-7?
Clif Anderson Offline

The Korg PA-80 is an arranger with a watered down Triton engine. I recommend you check out all the alternatives before investing in a high-end keyboard.

General Music SK760, SK880
General Music WK8SE
Korg i30 (out of production)
Korg PA-80
Korg Carma (Rumored, not sure what it is)
Roland VA-7
Roland VA-9 (Rumored for March announcement)
Solton X1
Solton SD1 (available in a few months)
Technics KN-6000
Technics KN-6500 (to be announced)
Yamaha PSR9000
Yamaha 9000Pro

Each of these keyboards has its unique strengths and adherents.

I just got hit by the rolling blackout in California and am on my UPS so I will get off.

[This message has been edited by Clif Anderson (edited 01-18-2001).]

#157958 - 01/18/01 10:04 AM Re: Korg Triton or Roland VA-7?
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Sozo,

I bought a Korg Triton Pro w/MOSS and SCSI options last year. It's a beautiful instrument and has amazing string sounds. I tried it for about 3 weeks, then returned it and got a Yamaha PSR9000 instead. Here's why . . .

First, Korg buries settings beneath multiple screens. The Triton looks sleek but that's because they put very few buttons on it. I had to go from screen to screen to screen to screen to screen just to make minor changes. Needless to say, if you plan of playing "live" before an audience, then screen-hopping becomes an annoyance and interferes with your performance.

Second, the Triton has two arpeggiators to create drum loops, etc. but you've got to pre-program every single song and on the Triton that takes a lot of screen-hopping, time, and effort (for every single song).

Third, I felt that the PSR9000 gave me the best features at a better price than either the Solton X1 or the VA-7. As you read the posts on this forum you'll find that each of us is pretty biased about which Arranger Keyboard is the best. Yet, I still believe you can't beat the PSR9000 in a price/feature comparison.

Fourth, ease of use and reliability are two important categories for me. Sure, I like to create my own voices from scratch like a lot people on this forum but I also want to be able to sit down and PLAY MUSIC without scoping out manuals, hunting for the right buttons, or worrying that my keyboard will shut off for no apparent reason. I feel that the PSR9000 is the best in this category too.

I'm sure you'll hear from others that will disagree with me but I've had my PSR9000 for about 7 months, and so far its NEVER disappointed me in any way. It's extremely powerful and versatile, has great sound, beautiful voices, and terrific onboard styles. In fact, I'm so enamored with this keyboard that I'm planning on buying the 9000PRO model very shortly (the pro model has 76 keys and no speakers while the PSR9000 has 61 keys and built-in speakers, otherwise they're pretty much the same).

I'll probably open the flood gates with this statement but X1 owners gripe about how bad their manual is, they buy extra videos on how to operate them, and then still end up asking a million questions on how to access features but PSR9000 owners rarely ever need to bother with a manual. Everything is user-friendly and intuitive.

I know very little about the VA-7. Not too many people on SynthZone have one, and its only rarely discussed but I'm sure you'll get feedback on it shortly.

RECOMMENDATION: Go to a music store and TRY before you buy! Try a PSR9000, an X1, a VA-7 and a Korg. You'll know very quickly which one is for you and which isn't. I'm betting you'll find that the Yamaha PSR9000 is a keeper.

regards,
Steve

#157959 - 01/18/01 10:23 AM Re: Korg Triton or Roland VA-7?
sozo Offline

OK. Thanks for replies so far. I think I will forget about the Korg Triton. I have now almost decided to buy a Roland VA-7. The only thing I dont like about it is that I cannot change the sounds so much and also it doesn't have so many foot controllable inputs and the inputs it have cannot controll all parameters.

#157960 - 01/18/01 01:04 PM Re: Korg Triton or Roland VA-7?
vic83 Offline

Loc: Florida
CLIF,
what korg carma?

------------------
vic

#157961 - 01/18/01 01:27 PM Re: Korg Triton or Roland VA-7?
Clif Anderson Offline

Hi Vic

All I know is from the following snippet from the Solton eGroup. By the way, there is a lot of SD1 info there.

"Korg is releasing a new keyboard called the CARMA . have you heard anything
about this keyboard in Europe ? Dan O"

Apparently, Korg has a religion bug with "Trinity" "Triton" and "Carma".

#157962 - 01/18/01 06:01 PM Re: Korg Triton or Roland VA-7?
Jupiter5 Offline

Sozo, I would read this thread I started before you embark on buying a VA-7 - and what Clif,(above) Scottyee, etc above said -and others.

I have since enquired about one, and received an email today from the same dealer that wanted £700.00 + my £2000 KN6000 + my £150.00 stand .....for a VA-7!!. He now "ONLY" wants £400.00. Well, since then, I've checked out most the specs on the VA-7 (to the best of my ability), and a straight swap wouldn't be on now!! - not even that!

This is why:

Kn6000 DSP: 10 - VA-7 DSP: 1 (+ reverb, chorus and delay)

Kn6000: very user freindly
VA-7 - Just A nightmare......

KN6000: Excellent styles
VA-7: good styles - if you can get to them.

KN6000: 1008 genuine sounds
VA-7: 3,000+ "backward" ones (sc55,sc88,etc), with the rest of good quality...and a good job...

Kn6000 : ,powerful speaker system.
VA-7 13+13 watts? - not for me...

Kn6000: Great forums and support.
VA-7: look at the "VA-7" forum on this site (roland variphrase I think)Can't seem to find ANYTHING.

Kn6000: great overall voicing
VA-7: Take the Variphrase function away, and you have a "Jack of all trades" sound moduler keyboard....and how long before you get cliche'd (bored) with the Phrase function?.

KN6000: It grows on you - and is getting better every day - with all bugs now eliminated to my knowledge.
VA-7: It will soon be superseded by a VA-9 I've heard.

I could go on, but the fact is, the VA-7 will sound great when you get it out of the box, turn the thing on, and look at the demo's with almost "Cinematic" proportions. After a While, you may be frustrated (as many have been I'm told) of the touch screen, where you will find yourself in a muddle - quick! - unless you are prepared to spend A LOT of time with it (the learning curve is not easy)

As for sequencing, with 128 notes of Polyphony, you can only add ONE DSP to the sound (with insertions), and the others being Chorus, Delay, Reverb, Equalizer.

Th kn6000 has the potential for(an Example): Flanger, Phaser, Exciter, Tremolo, Rotary Speaker, Reverb, Chorus, (which includes some of the above)Digital effect, Graphic Equaliser, Multi ...... Simultaneously...

It is because i sequence a lot that i am staying with the KN6000, as one DSP on the VA-7 - and just a reverb, chorus and EQ WILL NOT DO! It's a great pity, because the sounds are quite good. When you go into multi mode to seqwuence, you may lose these effects of the "Wonderful" presets. (I had a similar problem with the Korg M1 - and that had 2 DSP's!!

Don't let me put you off though Sozo (looks like I'm trying though ), but I've spent the last 2 months looking up the VA-7 - and it's "Potential" - and have found Negative after Negative comments about it. totally. My friend who also lives in England, had one for 3 days...then returned it and got a PSR 8000!!. not everyone on this link here dislikes it, and they probably like the VA-7 - but they were thinking about me forking out £700.00 + my kn6 for the VA-7, but I was told that the dealer should pay ME £700.00! (where talking a $1000.00 here you know..

Regards, Jupiter 5
http://www.synthworld.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/000958.html

[This message has been edited by Jupiter5 (edited 01-18-2001).]

#157963 - 01/18/01 06:50 PM Re: Korg Triton or Roland VA-7?
sozo Offline

Thanks J5 for that link. I read through your old thread.

An option is of course to buy the KN6000 - or wait for KN6500. Is there any information available on KN6500? I'm not sure where to find a dealer selling Technics in Norway. Will have to investigate.

I'm not in a hurry when it comes to choosing what instrument to buy :-)

#157964 - 01/18/01 09:25 PM Re: Korg Triton or Roland VA-7?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
The Korg Karma is a Triton without the sampling capabilities and it's "RED" in color. Not the usual silver. I just saw it at the NAMM Show. It supports the same user installable PCM and MOSS expansion options and has a 16 track sequencer. It has a new feature which generates phrases as you press down and play a few keys. Not an arranger, but a phrase. The basis of the phrase or pattern is a Generated Effect (GE). I really can't explain this yet because I only saw the keyboard for a moment. I spent most of my time with the PA-80 and one of the Italian product Managers from Korg. I don't even know the price, but I'll find out when I go back on Sunday.
The keyboard is 61 keys and does not have a touch screen like the triton. It is 62 voice Poly and still has the programs and combi modes of the triton.
More to come
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online