SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#157756 - 06/05/00 05:44 PM can anyone help, please?
carol Offline

Loc: key largo, fl. usa
i'm looking for a keyboard that i can completely separate the left side from the right. I use the left half for bass sounds, and use a volume pedal just for the bass. The right is for organs, strings, etc. and i use another volume pedal for those sounds. the problem is with these new keyboards the outputs are right output/ mono left (left + right). even when i pan the basses all the way to the left and organ sound all the way to the right, the left pedal is still controlling the right sides sounds.
does anyone know of a keyboard that can do what i need it to do? Is the Yamaha PSR 8000 capable of doing this?
Thanks

#157757 - 06/05/00 07:56 PM Re: can anyone help, please?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Carol, I use a Roland G1000, you definately can do the splits with volume control, in stereo output or individual outs..Solton X1 can work also, but you would need a external volume pedal from the seperate out that you would assign the bass, unlike Roland you use exspression pedal or if you choose the same set up as the X1...Fran

#157758 - 06/06/00 12:19 PM Re: can anyone help, please?
carol Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Carol, I use a Roland G1000, you definately can do the splits with volume control, in stereo output or individual outs..Solton X1 can work also, but you would need a external volume pedal from the seperate out that you would assign the bass, unlike Roland you use exspression pedal or if you choose the same set up as the X1...Fran

#157759 - 06/06/00 01:34 PM Re: can anyone help, please?
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Carol,

GEM WK6/8 SK880/760 can do this and more. You can split the keyboard into two sections. Determine which section is controlled with which padel. You can have 3 padels and each padel can control as many tracks as you specify. This is not just true for padels, but also weels and all of these external controllers.

In other words, you can do the following:

a) have the a bass on left section. Piano on right section. Sustain Padel control Piano only.

b) Have the bass on left section. Piano and Strings on right section. Have Sustain Padel control PIANO ONLY (Not bass nor strings, although strings are on the same section as the Piano).

c) Have the bass and organ on left section. Piano and Strings on right section. Sustain Padel controls Piano only. Modulation wheel controls strings only. The other wheel controls Bass only. Volume padel controls strings, piano and Guitar... and so on.

Furthermore, those keyboards have 4 outputs. So you can output the right section on two and the left section on the other two. You do not need to pan at all. You can have it stereo and separate.

I love GEM keyboards for this organization. In fact, when I went to the studio to do some recording, I needed to dump my keyboard tracks to there equipement. I was able to dump one stereo track and two mono tracks simultanuosly with no problem and no panning whatsoever.

I am sure many new keyboards have these programmable features. The question is, do you like the sounds and styles, and how much have you budgeted for the keyboard?

P.S. Do not layer too many instruments over each other; they will sound muddy like an old organ sound... like what Uncle Dave described in a ancient previous post. *Smile*

#157760 - 06/06/00 04:38 PM Re: can anyone help, please?
Ilija Petkovski Offline

Loc: Apeldoorn
Hi Carol!

Well the people are naming all kinds of keyboards letting you pay a LOT of money for something that is not so special.
On an old Roland E70 (such as I have) from 1991 you could control the bass only with an expression pedal if you would want that.
1991= $ 400,-

Good luck!

PS If you HAVE the money for more, ok sorry haha.

#157761 - 06/06/00 05:50 PM Re: can anyone help, please?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
As SK880user has stated "DITTO" for the G1000 except there are seven sound zone possibilities to control, in stereo or seperate outs, and they can be saved in 192 performances for instant recall...Fran

#157762 - 06/07/00 05:51 PM Re: can anyone help, please?
carol Offline

Thanks for all the replies. I was very interested in the Roland G600, but can not find one in any of the local (Miami) stores. I liked the G1000 but unfortunately it's too big. (I live on a boat, space very limited.) The guys in Sam Ash told me of the G600 and it sounded perfect. (does anyone know if the G600 has the same capabilites as the G1000?)
I currently use an old Roland U20 (that's the one I split and have my bass sounds on) and a Korg Wavestation.
I like the U20 even tho it's so old but the Key Largo heat and playing 4 nights in tiki bars on the ocean has finally just about killed it. I'm tired of the repair bills.

Thanks again for all the replies, they are greatly appreciated.

#157763 - 06/07/00 08:15 PM Re: can anyone help, please?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Carol,
Unfortunately, the G600 is like the G800 which were both very disapointing keyboards to me. The G1000 and the EM2000 added many significant upgrades. One of the major upgrades was a good internal sequencer instead of a direct to disk sequencer, and they added the zip drive with direct disk playback of styles and songs. They also added to the basic GS sound library (which is what the G600 has) many hundreds of pro quality sounds. You can still buy the EM2000 which is the same size keyboard as the G600 (61 keys and built in speakers). Selling price in US for a EM2000 is approx. $2400.00. It is much more expensive then the G600 but it is so much better.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online