SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#156420 - 10/09/07 10:47 AM Donny & UD - how do you like...
zuki Offline

Your PA800?

1. Is it as easy to navigate as the PSR?
2. Can you hit registrations on the fly to do meldeys?
3. Do the styles cover enough ground, i.e. big band, ballads, etc.
4. Is the harmonizer user friendly, or do you have to tweek it? I vision using the harmonizer button to do 2 or 3 part without any adjustments?
5. Do the fills have a lot of glitches that make it seem unnatural?

Thanks,
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#156421 - 10/09/07 11:08 AM Re: Donny & UD - how do you like...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Your PA800?

First off its not an equal comparison to a mid range PSR or S series unit.....
TYROS 2 would be an equal comparison Zuki,
now lets move on...IMO its easier because besides the Performance setups locations you also have the the "SONGBOOK" feature retains ALL performance parameters & setup info unlike the Yamaha MFD which doesn't save all eg: Transpose, STYLES,SMF, Mp3, KAR, this powerful feature alone is great for live performance...just create any amount of custom set lists, song lists or just mix em up with different categories, the Navagation BUTTON position layout is well thought out and for me easy to access in REAL TIME using LH/RH/ or the EC5 pedal....scroll thru the list while your playing , hit select and your there instantly I love it its something I always wished Yamaha had. Also You can link lyrics text files to each MP3 and you can play the keyboard along with while playing an MP3. You can manage your MP3's as songbook custom lists and Record MP3's through mic.

2. Can you hit registrations on the fly to do medleys?

As stated above KORG doesn't call them registrations but "PERFORMANCES"....and YES from the SONGBOOK as I stated above while your playing just Scroll, select and the next song will start.

This is the first time I have used a KB that I can truly say that I only have have on-board about 8 Converted styles vs 25/30 on my Yamaha's...for my needs Korg did it right there is a full array of styles for every genre. Some had to be adjusted but that very easy also, editing is a breeze.

4. Is the harmonizer user friendly, or do you have to tweak it? I vision using the harmonizer button to do 2 or 3 part without any adjustments?

Zuki the TC Helicon is the BEST Vocalizer I have ever used on a arranger KB hands down, tracking is superb, no dropouts , crystal clear, dave & i have discussed the setting and honestly there is not much you have to do although you can go crazy with settings if you want to, but not needed for normal singing harmonies just choose 1,2,3 above or below etc etc ...use the EC5 pedal or the on-board Harmony button to switch between on/off.

I have no problems with fills because I use them properly while playing another nice feature is that if you push once you get the fill, you push twice and the lite will flash and the Fill Repeats until you hit it again.....the new OS 1.51 has addressed many of the problems and of course there is SO much much more to this wonderful instrument to consider, Im still learning every day with mine Im so glad I bought one......I suggest you read the online manual and watch the demo videos also.
http://www.korgpa.com/pa_root/en/products/pa800_demo.html?en

Thanks,
zuki

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-09-2007).]

#156422 - 10/09/07 07:44 PM Re: Donny & UD - how do you like...
zuki Offline

Thanks Donny

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#156423 - 10/10/07 02:34 PM Re: Donny & UD - how do you like...
Dnj Offline

PA800 SongBook
This exciting feature was developed to make your life easier while playing live. The SongBook is a Musical Database, completely user programmable, containing all the settings needed to play a particular song. You have only to search the title of the song you would like to play, select it and hit "Play". The SongBook can use styles, mid files or MP3 (with "Dual MP3 Expansion Board" option installed) and immediately recall settings such as Song Title, Genre, Artist, Tempo, Volumes, Sounds, Muted Tracks, FX settings, Easy Edit, 4 STS*, Master Transpose and more. Everything you need to play your song back perfectly is in the SongBook, a useful musical feature that is unique to Korg - the only Arranger keyboards available with all these sophisticated controls.

(*STS - Single Touch Settings is a memory that recalls sounds for all the real time tracks (upper1, 2, 3 & lower).)

#156424 - 10/10/07 03:05 PM Re: Donny & UD - how do you like...
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Sorry to barge in but, I think the PA800 is by far the best KB I have ever had. I was dreading the task of converting many KN7000 styles to Korg, but after auditioning the internal styles, I am going to forget it.

Bernie

#156425 - 10/10/07 03:18 PM Re: Donny & UD - how do you like...
Dnj Offline

Bernie I hear ya ....I have never used more factory styles more then on the pa800 there are so many VERY USABLE Ones for every genre for sure very well done especially thruoughout the variation progression...just a few edits here and there makes all the difference....
I only have on-board 6 converted ones.
Once you put in your homework your good to go.Korgs RX technology is awesome.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-10-2007).]

#156426 - 10/10/07 04:02 PM Re: Donny & UD - how do you like...
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
If it's good enough for you, it most certainly is for me.

#156427 - 10/10/07 06:08 PM Re: Donny & UD - how do you like...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:

** Not quite as simple, but once you know the "korg way" it's very logical ! Some things are better, but I miss the EASE of the mixer/effects section in the Yamaha design.

Quote:
2. Can you hit registrations on the fly to do meldeys?

** Oh yes ! More versatility than PSR in that regard. Many ways to fly through changes.

Quote:

** Styles are a bit busier than I'd prefer, but 100% editable. VERY usable. There is something for almost everything I play.

Quote:
4. Is the harmonizer user friendly, or do you have to tweek it? I vision using the harmonizer button to do 2 or 3 part without any adjustments?

** I use the default preset with only volume and blend adjustments. BEST I ever had built in ! Might just be as good as ANY I've had !

Quote:

** They are not unnatural...they are busy. Flashy. (too flashy, sometimes) They tend to sound like a different band than the style just had playing. The good thing about Korg is that many of the patterns are 8 measures long with simple variations built in at the end of the phrase, so the need to fill is not as great.

#156428 - 10/10/07 08:03 PM Re: Donny & UD - how do you like...
zuki Offline

Thanks UD, Dnj and Bernie too Anyone else can chmime in also.

#156429 - 10/10/07 08:13 PM Re: Donny & UD - how do you like...
Dnj Offline

Zuki the PA800 has ALL the goods.........

Its the player who must make it shine!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online