SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#156139 - 10/31/02 08:51 PM Re: Need some opinions on this issue...
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
lukitoh,

Glad to meet you as well. I play sk880ps keyboard. It is identical to WK8 with the exception that it has 88-weighted hammer action keys plus no speakers. It has a harddrive, and I added 8 megs of battery backed memory and vocal harmonizer.

When playing the Solo piano, my left hand does usually play the bass. I usually play appregos. Therefore, when I play with an arranger, I use full backing styles with multi-fingered mode since I use 4 fingers for the chord.

#156140 - 10/31/02 08:54 PM Re: Need some opinions on this issue...
sk880user Offline

AJ,

As you said, Triton/Karma is not known for its acoustic voices.

I personally like XV series from Roland. I do not like the piano sound on Motif.

#156141 - 10/31/02 09:52 PM Re: Need some opinions on this issue...
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Hi Jedi,

Good to see you again. I was introduced to Winter this morning when I awoke to find about an inch of snow on the ground.

I've been very busy with family issues ( raising two of my grandaughters right now ) so I haven't had as much time to be online or play music as I would like, but it will all even out in the end I think. As far as another arranger, maybe just for a backup board. I'm very happy with what I have now, but I'd still like to try out the XD9.

SK,
All in the beholders ears I guess. One of the things that sold me on the Motif WAS the Piano voice. I like the XV boards a lot too, but I guess I just prefer the Motif over a wider ranger of sounds for my tastes and what I like to play. I guess it's a good thing that there are some choices though that allow for us to choose what fits us best.

Cheers,

AJ

#156142 - 10/31/02 11:22 PM Re: Need some opinions on this issue...
KN_Fan Offline

Hi Squeak...so should I say "congratulations" for married life or "sorry"?

I personally think there is NO perfect keyboard in this world. You always wish "hmmh...Yamaha's sampling and Piano sound...but I want Korg's strings...also, brass from the Kentron.." you get my point.

So, I'm just reiterating my point, get one master (arranger or non)...and get another one from a different brand, then you'll have the best of both worlds. I think....

SK880 and Lukitoh...perhaps, you can show me links to Christian music downloads and stuff. Used to play a lot before, but vacuum for almost 5 years now starting to play again...

Talk to you guys later.
KN_Fan

#156143 - 10/31/02 11:23 PM Re: Need some opinions on this issue...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by KN_Fan:
I like BOTH....(if i got the money?? I'll get the 7000, Tyros and Triton at the same time...but then, who wouldn't?)

Not trying to start trouble, but I wouldn't. For staple sounds I have a Roland JV1080 with 4 of the best acoustic boards they make - session, vocal, orchestra and pop.
Add that to my Korg PA80, and a Roland sound canvas and I have almost all the neccisary elements I will ever need to reproduce normal, acoustic instruments.
The kn7k si no where near the level of sounds that I would have in a studio setting....especially the drums.
The Triton is strongest in synth sounds, which I rarely need more than I have.
The only one that I can't comment on is the Tyros - because in my area .... it DOESN'T even EXIST yet. I'll give a listen when it hits NJ/PA .... till then .... it's just an ad.

#156144 - 11/01/02 03:58 AM Re: Need some opinions on this issue...
Clif Anderson Offline

I agree with UD and sk880 regarding the Roland JV/XV series. The stock sounds are good and the variety of sounds on the cards is great. I have an XV-5080 with the Asia, Vocal, Orchestral II, World, SRX-Drums, and SRX-Strings. These sounds are definitely not limited to dance and techno. If you don't want a rack mount, the XV-88, the Fantom, and RD-700 take SRX cards. Most of the old JV cards come 4-apiece in recently issued SRX cards.

I also have a Korg Karma and I am disappointed in the sounds available for that board. I haven't tried the new orchestral set of cards from Korg as I am saving my two slots for ethnic cards. I think Korg is losing ground resting on its Triton laurels.

As I have said before, I wish Roland would come out with an arranger with SRX slots and vocal harmony.

#156145 - 11/01/02 04:33 AM Re: Need some opinions on this issue...
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
I endorse what has been said above - The Roland JV1080 plus cards gives the most realistic accoustic instruments I could find in a unit after a lot of searching and auditioning - Keith

#156146 - 11/01/02 06:41 PM Re: Need some opinions on this issue...
sk880user Offline

KN_FAN,

I recommend the music of the following:

1) Rich Mullins
2) Michael Card
3) Petra
4) Steve Green
5) Matthew Ward
6) Anne Herring
7) Steve Camp
8) Twaila Paris

The reason I recommend the above musicians because in my humble opinion their music is true music that speaks from the heart. It is unsuperficial, especially, the music written in the minor scales. Some music is written for the moment and some are written for life. The words are good and the life and walk of these people reflect what they believe and what they preach. this is another important point to me.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online