SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#155987 - 10/17/05 03:56 AM Flooring for new home studio?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Gang-

Well, we're mostly all moved into our new, bigger home. The house is "up & running" so I can now focus on some side projects like the garage and my home recording studio.

As I look for ideas, plans, etc. I see a wide variety of flooring options being used. I've seen everything from hard wood, tile to carpeting.

The room dimensions are going to wind up being very close to 20" by 10".

Within reason, cost isn't a primary concern for this.

Any suggestions, experiences, etc. would, as always, be welcome...

Thanks in advance-

Bill in Dayton

#155988 - 10/17/05 05:06 AM Re: Flooring for new home studio?
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Bill....Congrats, on being in your new home,
I hope you get that studio finished soon...
good luck....
Tony Rome

#155989 - 10/17/05 06:03 AM Re: Flooring for new home studio?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Congrats Bill on the new home. The best option, acustically, would be hardwood flooring covered with carpet. This provides the best resonance, plus the sound absorption of padded carpeting.

Good luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#155990 - 10/17/05 12:09 PM Re: Flooring for new home studio?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Depends. How "pro" do you want to go? What's the rest of the room (walls, windows, doors, ceiling)like? If money is not a huge problem, you may want to consider a raised floor. Besides the acoustical advantages (if properly done), there is also the ease and flexibility of pre-wiring. Whatever finish surface you choose, there will be additional acoustical treatments that you will need to do to accomplish pro-level mixing and mastering. For tracking, anything is probably ok since for synths, no problem (direct in), and for live drums and vocals you would need some sort of isolation booth, room, space, etc. I would say, unless you plan to use the space commercially, go with what is most aestheticly(sp) pleasing to you and then acoustically treat (ie. bass traps, etc.) the resulting room. Or.....to be more succinct, I have no recommendations .

chas

#155991 - 10/18/05 05:08 AM Re: Flooring for new home studio?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
As is said above, it depends what sort of room sound you are after.

For flexibility you could have a wood floor with carpet tiles? Then if you need a more "ambient" response you could lift the tiles. On the other hand you could carpet the floor and have solid walls with curtains or such like to control the ambience.

#155992 - 10/18/05 05:34 AM Re: Flooring for new home studio?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Guys-

Currently the flooring is an old, worn wood vinyl tile. The walls are a standard wood paneling.

The studio will basically only serve myself in terms of recording. So, my Tyros/PSR3k, etc. will go direct via a Behringer pmh2000 power mixer, Vocals get recorded live through the same...all into a Sony RCD-w500C CD Recorder.

It's possible I'll record other projects besides mine in this studio, depending on their needs. A singer looking for backing tracks to record a demo, instrumentals for sing-along type uses, etc. are other potential examples. I don't ever see myself recording a full band or anything.

I'm leaning toward having a nice hardwood floor installed then find a nice area rug to place over it. I'm undecided about what to do with the walls...I don't care for the wood paneling currently in place, I don't think it would be that hard to rip it down and put drywall up, then paint it the color of my choice.

I'll be replacing the current flourescent lighting with track lighting for a warmer feel about the room.

Our electrical box is also located in a corner of this space and we have plenty of room to add additional circuits. I'd like to have dedicated power outlets for my equipment needs.

Shelving will also be added to keep the area as user friendly as possible. I'd love to have things set up in such a way that wires and cables are otu of the way as possible.

Bill in Dayton

#155993 - 10/18/05 06:41 AM Re: Flooring for new home studio?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
If you are recording electronic music and digital recording...It makes absolutely no difference where you record..
Record through your mixer, including vocal mics....
You can have the best studio prepared walls and floors and it will not show on your recordings..
The "Room" is for acoustic instruments like sax, wind , ect...Even then ...they will record fine through the mixer without ambience..

#155994 - 10/18/05 07:30 AM Re: Flooring for new home studio?
harosha Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
Congrats on your new home!

Most studios have floating floors with hard surface (no carpeting) because once you lay down carpet in the room you have no control over acoustic treatment. The best idea is to have hardwood/ laminted floor with acoustic treatment on the ceiling right abovee the mix position. After that, you can treat other parts of the room floor with area rugs.

You will also need some treatments for the walls. Start off with Bass Traps in the corners of your room and then add some broadband absorbtion behind your monitors and on the wall right behind your mix position. Again, the room treatment really depends on the dimensions of your room, your mix position and so on.

I disagree with the comment about not needing acoustic treatment if you are recording electronic instruments. The acoustic treatment is needed to listen to your mix as clearly as possible. If your listening environment is not good then your mixes will not be good. There is really a reason why professional studios spend thousands of dollars on acoustical treatment and it shows in their recordings.

You should check out recording studio forum here for a lot of information about studio builing and acoustic treatment:
http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/index.php

Hope it helps!

Shaz

#155995 - 10/18/05 08:22 AM Re: Flooring for new home studio?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Fran is absolute right--it does not make a bit of difference.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#155996 - 10/18/05 11:07 AM Re: Flooring for new home studio?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
As a newbie, I guess I haven't earned the right to contradict anyone, particularly long-established members.....but ouch, sounds like an awful lot of people are wasting an awful lot of money. Of course, it helps to clarify whether you're talking about tracking or mixing/mastering, but even with tracking, digital or analog, I believe that room reflections from an untreated room would be picked up if the source was a microphone.

Respectfully,
Charles

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online