SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#155538 - 02/25/02 04:00 PM MORE on the Subject of PSR2000 Registration Memory Banks !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I'm sure many of you know this already, but a 'single song' or 'song medley' is not limited to only 8 individual Memory Registrations. For example, I have a Tango Medley which consists of 4 songs, each song having 3 custom individual Registration setups. This requires 12 separate registrations. In Function>Regist Sequence, I assign Regist Pedal+ to Pedal 1 and 'Sequencer End' to 'Next Bank'. I then name the first Registration Bank 'Tango1' and the second Registration Bank 'Tango2' and store them together (on floppy) in the same folder called 'Tango Medley'. Now when I decide to play the Tango Medley, I just hit the 'J' button and go to the floppy tab, open up the Tano Medley Folder, select Tango1, and hit Registration #1. As the song progresses, I only need to remember to press the foot pedal at appropriate places in the song to trigger the individual registration changes. After reaching registration button #8, the PSR2000 will then 'automatically' load 'Tango2' (abeit a short 1-2 sec. delay) starting at registration #1 and continue changing registrations incrementally when the foot pedal is triggered. If Tango2's 'Sequncer End' setting is also set/stored to 'Next Bank', you could then add yet another Registration bank to load automatically, and so on . . . You could even program an entire evening's show this way, though I personally prefer keeping the song choices fluid as the evenng progresses. I only use the 'incremental' feature with Registration Memory for my special showcased songs and medleys. Curious to hear how other PSR2000 players are using 'multiple' Registration Banks and if you are triggering them incrementally the way I am. Another way of using Registration Memory is setting one foot pedal to incremental and the other to decrement. Personally, I would find this confusing to deal with in live performance, especially if there are a lot of Registrations to deal with. I prefer having to only remember to hit ONE button (foot pedal) and have it ALWAYS move UP incrementally. Makes life so mucy easier and allows you to focus more on PLAYING the keyboard and entertaining the audience. Interested in getting feedback from others.

- Scott
http://scottyee.com

#155539 - 02/25/02 04:47 PM Re: MORE on the Subject of PSR2000 Registration Memory Banks !
Anonymous
Unregistered

Scott...
So far I haven't had the need to string that many registrations together, but I certainly see the advantage and agree it is the way to go when needed. I have several medleys that require style, key and tempo changes, but so far all fit into the 8 reg. buttons. The PSR2K certainly has raised eyebrows at many of the functions I play. You can make it look so easy they don't believe you are actually playing the thing.
Eddie

#155540 - 02/25/02 04:57 PM Re: MORE on the Subject of PSR2000 Registration Memory Banks !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bsharp:
You can 'MAKE IT LOOK SO EASY' they don't believe you are actually playing the thing.
Eddie

This is the KEY to fine musicianship. We work so 'hard' to make it look so 'easy'.

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 02-25-2002).]

#155541 - 02/25/02 05:11 PM Re: MORE on the Subject of PSR2000 Registration Memory Banks !
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Scott,
Thanks for the software tip (see thread)
OH/ BTW Music 123.com is all out of PSR-2000`s , they expect some in about three weeks, what do you think good sign or not? Also there price $999.99!!
jedi

#155542 - 02/25/02 09:08 PM Re: MORE on the Subject of PSR2000 Registration Memory Banks !
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
I bought mine at Music123 in December and paid $949 plus $24 shipping, no tax.

Tom G.

#155543 - 02/26/02 03:03 PM Re: MORE on the Subject of PSR2000 Registration Memory Banks !
Dnj Offline

With my style of playing on the 9k I don't use many registrations at all. I have about 30+ styles that I use for everything I do on stage. many of the songs I play use the same styles and just a key change. Most of my instrument setups between reg and ots are in assorted setup combos, Piano, Bright Piano, Stage EP, Strings, Growl sax, Sweet Tenor, Sweet Tenor (w/ 4-Way Close harmony)for that Miller Sound, Sweet Trumpet, Brass Section, Clarinet, Musett, Cool Organ, Spanish Guitar, Cool Jazz Guitar, and some others. I only use 2 pedals, Sustain, Voc Harmony. I try to make my life easy every night on stage playing. I rarly play the same song the same way at every performance, that alone makes me happy and keeps myself from getting bored. Having all those setup registrtaions for "One Song" and all those pedal buttons would drive me nuts especially when I'm playing on the fly and change songs or styles in mainstream to accomodate the dancers on the floor. But if it works for ya so be it. I'd like to hear how others "DO IT" too?

donny

#155544 - 02/26/02 11:29 PM Re: MORE on the Subject of PSR2000 Registration Memory Banks !
Scottyee Offline

Donny,

I actually agree with you on this and work a lot of my show the same way you do myself. For much of my show I just load custom 'genre specific' voice registration banks and then pick/choose sounds, styles & variations 'on the fly' while performing. I too like this method because it allows the most creative flexibility and performance spontaneity.

I generally reserve the fully pre-planned custom 'registration bank' song setups for those special showcased songs/medleys which require a tight script of complicated 'voice (instrument) change' setups, key modulation, and simultaneous volume changes which would not be possible to achieve otherwise. Hey, I only got 2 hands (ten fingers) & 2 feet and my mind can only focus on a few things (sometimes even less :eek at one time. Singing, 'playing' the keyboard (both hands plaing different parts), and giving my full attention to the audience as well is difficult enough. I don't want to have to devote any more energy to button pushing than I have to. With a customized Registration Bank devoted to a song, you only need to remember to push ONE single (reg memory increment) button during the ENTIRE song. As you can see, each arranger keyboard setup method has its advantages and disadvantages. The great thing is that our arranger keyboards allow us to mix/match our approach. I also like to get out in the audience to sing and smooze with the crowd as well, so playing a midi file backup is yet another arranger keyboard feature which allows us to do this.

- Scott

#155545 - 02/27/02 08:17 AM Re: MORE on the Subject of PSR2000 Registration Memory Banks !
Anonymous
Unregistered

THE NEED FOR SPEED
Sequeing quickly from one song to the next is a must for a dance crowd. I created what I thought was the optimum system for organizing registrations with the PSR9000, PSR740 and every keyboard I ever owned before them. And each was different. Then along comes the PSR2000...HOLY MOLY...there are sooo many ways to do it.

Of all the ways discussed here, I find myself relying on Alphabatizing By Song the most. But, now thinking of borrowing from Scott's book and creating files by genre (Swing, Jazz, Rock, Latin, etc)which could would also lend itself to Donny and Uncle Dave's system of doing it on the fly. But, DonM's reliance on the MFD can't be overlooked either. Then along comes Nobby with his dash-number banks.

I think I need a valium.

Eddie

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online