SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#154423 - 08/04/01 11:47 AM Roland FP-3 Digital piano Review
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
After a couple of days with the new Roland FP-3 Didital Piano , I would like to make a few comments for the Guys and Gals that play piano , and those that play left hand bass.This Keyboard is a sleeper and I don't mean it will put you to sleep U/D..Why am I reviewing this keyboard as an arranger topic...It is capable enough to be called an arranger,..First for our Piano players..A great acoustic piano[a total of 40 tones ranging from Pianos,EP,organs with rotary control,guitars,basses[nice],strings,pads,voices [included my favorite scat],winds etc....88 Roland hammer action keys[you know,,,the ones that feel like a real piano] .3 feel settings..This keyboard will split.Bass and right hand sound with balance adjustment. Or layered.Effects are chorus 10 levels,Reverb 10 levels,Sympathetic resonance 10 levels and Rotary..All nice stuff, Right,,Now the PLUS..A thing called session, 60 drum patterns to jam with..you can play with drums and add bass[Yes it will follow your left hand chords],and you can add the chord accompanient track..These styles will bring a smile to your face, They are "IN YOUR FACE"..They are more POP oriented,latin,ballad, jazz.country.swing,shuffles,funk,hiphop,fusion.contemp.waltz,rock,boogie,blues,ect..Sorry
No Marches, NO polkas!!NO accordions!!Check this board out..If you just love to play and want a backing band at your finger tips when YOU NEED THEM...this could be the keyboard for you...No speakers, 41 lbs,has inputs[stereo pair 1/4 inch],Very compact 50"x12"x5"...I will try to give an in dept report later...Fran PS: Thanks to Tom Snee for loaning me his new toy..I forgot a BIGGY, You can buy this Roland for under $1200..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 08-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 08-04-2001).]

#154424 - 08/04/01 12:18 PM Re: Roland FP-3 Digital piano Review
Dnj Offline

here is a pic of the Roland FP-3 Didital Piano

#154425 - 08/04/01 12:43 PM Re: Roland FP-3 Digital piano Review
Henry01 Offline

Loc: Dublin, California, USA
Wow, sounds like a nice board...

#154426 - 08/04/01 05:10 PM Re: Roland FP-3 Digital piano Review
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hello Fran ,
The FP3 is indeed a nice electric piano .
Are you able to access a 2nd variation to the style ? Dano

#154427 - 08/04/01 05:40 PM Re: Roland FP-3 Digital piano Review
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Dan, No variation, but the styles are grouped so yo can go to the next style and the next, this gives us plenty of variation. Each time you go to the next style you get a fill to the next change. It works fine. You also have Intros and Endings..Fran

#154428 - 08/04/01 06:09 PM Re: Roland FP-3 Digital piano Review
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hi Fran,
Well it looks a very smart piece of kit! I have been thinking of replacing my old (Ancient more like)technics PX7 for a while. I may check this out.
I am shallow enough to be seduced by looks and if it sounds as good as it looks then I want it!! Will be interested to hear your in depth report.
ttfn
Tony

#154429 - 08/05/01 03:01 AM Re: Roland FP-3 Digital piano Review
Beakybird Offline

I have a friend who owns the Roland FP9. A bigger contraption, it has the Roland hammer action keys and features a sampled Steinway a couple of other sounds, a few special fx and little else. It sounds pretty good and feels pretty good. I think it goes for around $1800.

But in my studio, I have a Fatar SL 880 ($600) controller hooked up to the computer with a 2 gig Gigastudio grand ($300 total). When tweaked properly (to velocity #2), the Fatar feels much more like a real piano than the Roland. It has splits galore and velocity control for each split. Does the FP-3 have a newer design for its weighted keys than the FP-9? If not, I must say that I have never felt and heard a more real digital piano than what I'm hearing now in my studio. It's not perfect, but I often have very soulful experiences playing this setup.

#154430 - 08/05/01 06:54 AM Re: Roland FP-3 Digital piano Review
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The FP9 weighs about 32,000 lbs though! This new one can be carried under one arm!

#154431 - 08/05/01 09:12 AM Re: Roland FP-3 Digital piano Review
Beakybird Offline

I can't carry 41 lbs. under my arm Uncle Dave, but maybe you can. I can see from the picture, though, that the FP-3 is extremely compact for a weighted key digital piano. The Fatar SL 880 weighs about 41 lbs too, and if you have a synth module to go through, all I can say is I've never experienced a better piano feel on a digital. I'm extremely happy with it.

I'll look forward to fumbling with the keys of the FP-3 next time I go to my local Guitar Center. It sounds like a wonderful piece.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online