SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#154410 - 05/18/03 01:25 PM yamahas,intros and endings?
nardoni2002 Offline

Loc: malaga, spain
hi all,the intros and endings on the psr2000 sound great but the preset voices don,t sound as good,how can i remedy this,also is there anyway that we can find out the settings on the intros and endings so that we can match up the sound,your help always appreciated,,mike

#154411 - 05/18/03 04:08 PM Re: yamahas,intros and endings?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Mike (Nardoni2002): To determine the individual instrument voices used in any given PSR2000/Tyros style part:

1) Select & play any given style, selecting the specific intro or ending style button you want to determine the individual voices of.

2) Press the "Mixing Console" Button repeatedly until "Mixing Console (Style Part)" appears at the top of the LCD display.

3) Select the "Vol/Voice" tab

4) A black dot appears at the bottom of the screen for each instrument style part actively being played. To determine the specific kb voice selection used, select the button located directly to the left or right of the row where the instrument icons are shown, and then select one of the active individual instrument parts (upper portion of toggle buttons 1-8 located directly below LCD screen). This will then bring up another screen which will display the specific instr. voice used for that particular style part. Memorize (remember) the location (path) of this voice.

5) Select one of the four OTS buttons

6) Press the "Mixing Console button" repeatedly until: "Mixing Console (Panel Part)" is displayed at the top of the LCD screen. Press either of the two buttons at the side of the LCD display which is adjacent to the row of instrument icons, and then select the 'panel voice' (Main, Layer, Left) you want changed, via upper portion of toggle buttons directly beneath the LCD display. The voice selection will appear in a separate window. Navigate to the new voice selection you want to change to and select the 'new chosen' voice.

7) Press & hold the "Memory" Button followed by the OTS button you selected earlier. This stores the newly selected voice into OTS, but . . .

8) In order to save this newly ammeded style (including OTS), you MUST now go into "Digital Recording", select Style Creator, and then go to the Assembly Page. Tab to "Assembly" and then select 'SAVE' to save this as a new style (which includes the new OTS voice settings).

Mike: I hope this rather lenthy explaination provides the answers you're looking for.

Scott

#154412 - 05/18/03 06:21 PM Re: yamahas,intros and endings?
Joe Waters Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA USA
Scott gave a quick overview of how to find the voices and change them. If you'd like a more detailed explanation with pictures, check out the lessons on adjusting styles at psrtutorial.com. Here is a direct link:
http://psrtutorial.com/Lessons/L_Personalizing/LP_AdjStyles/lp_adjstyles.html

There are individual lessons on the Balance Control, the Mixing Console, setting the Master EQ, Fine Tuning style settings, and creating One-Touch Settings.

#154413 - 05/19/03 05:06 AM Re: yamahas,intros and endings?
nardoni2002 Offline

thanks scottyee for your detailed explanation and joe also,that has answered half of the problem,the other query i have is for example ,if i play the slowfoxtrot style intro the sax sounds great BUT the sax on the preset don,t sound anyway near as good ,i would like to match up the sound of the sax so that they sound the same,thanking you for your perseverance,mike

#154414 - 05/19/03 08:17 AM Re: yamahas,intros and endings?
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Nardoni2002 "Mike", (Incidentally, welcome to the Mike club). There are several Mike's on this board. As to your question about Intro/Ending Voices sounding better, I don't understand really what you mean. The Intro/Endings all use the Keyboards Voices, ie., (Wav ROM). An example is: Slow Foxtrot= PHR2-Panel Sweet Tenor Sax. The pre-programmed Intro uses a little pitch bend for the Tenor Sax part but you can implement that also yourself in your playing with the Pitch Bend Wheel. So your Sweet Tenor Sax that you play on the Keys should sound identical to the sound of the Intros/Endings. PS: If you use the Sweet Alto Sax in your playing then of course the sound will be different than the PHR2 Sweet Tenor Sax Intro does. Their two distinct instruments with two distinct sounds. Also you have to make sure that the "Octave" is in the same range as the Intro/Ending too for it to sound comparable.

Best regards,
Mike

#154415 - 05/19/03 09:36 AM Re: yamahas,intros and endings?
nardoni2002 Offline

hi idatrod,iv,e tried again but there is still a difference between the intro sound and the sweet tenor sound,would you know what notes played in the intro of the sax are,it might make it a bit easier for me to do a comparison if i can copy the notes,thanks ,mike

#154416 - 05/19/03 09:01 PM Re: yamahas,intros and endings?
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Mike, a good way to learn the notes would be to load the Style, then hit the "Part" button below the Balance button on the bottom left side of the LCD Screen. Make sure you are in the "Style" section. Mute ALL the parts except the PHR2 part which has the Sweet! Tenor Sax. Adjust the Tempo down about 20 or so, ie., (The original is 107 tempo, so bring it down to 87 or so) to slow the song Intro down, then Start the Intro. You will be able to begin to follow along much easier and you should be able to hit the correct notes that the Intro is playing before too long. PS: Hint: Boost the Octave switch to +1 to Bring the Panel Sweet! Tenor Sax that you will be playing up to a more acceptable playing range as compared to the Style Intro Sweet! Tenor Sax sound.

Hope this helps,
Mike

#154417 - 05/20/03 09:56 AM Re: yamahas,intros and endings?
nardoni2002 Offline

thanks idatrod,all sorted now ,the cause,,, my own ignorance and stupidity,,,(now i understand my psr a little better),cheers mike

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online