SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#154134 - 11/02/05 11:27 AM Video Clip: My Tyros1 Swan Song !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Here's a 2:21 min "amateur" video clip (WMV format) taken of me last weekend, performing on my Tyros1:
PLAY Video Clip

Playback requires Windows Media Player and may take a while to download if you have a slow internet connection, as it's 11.7MB.

Tyros1's truly been a terrific ride, yet I'm now anticipating the excitement of owning Tyros2.

News FLASH! DanO has just informed me that I'll be receiving my Tyros2 'at my doorstep' this Friday! Thanx DanO

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 11-02-2005).]

#154135 - 11/02/05 12:00 PM Re: Video Clip: My Tyros1 Swan Song !
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Good song Scotty....nice crowd, good playing
and vocals but I think your cameraman had to go to the bathroom and was holding it in,
hehehe....all kiding aside, Great Job....
Tony Rome

#154136 - 11/02/05 12:02 PM Re: Video Clip: My Tyros1 Swan Song !
trtjazz Offline

Nice job on the vid Scott. Congrats on the T2 coming!
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://www.musicchops.com/forums/

#154137 - 11/02/05 12:08 PM Re: Video Clip: My Tyros1 Swan Song !
ccdmax Offline

Loc: South Jersey
Scott great video and I agree with Tony about the camera

anyway, congratulations on the Tyros2
and I guess we both will be busy on friday

cheers,

------------------
Yamaha PSR9000, PSR730, Korg PA1X Pro, Karma, X5D, Yamaha Tyros2 on it's way smile

#154138 - 11/02/05 12:42 PM Re: Video Clip: My Tyros1 Swan Song !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Rome:
cameraman had to go to the bathroom and was holding it in

Hi Tony. Yes, the guy who shot that admitted to having no video-photography experience, & that it was simply shot with a tiny sub-compact digital still camera, which just happened to include a video clip rec function never used before. Interestingly enough, the reason he contacted me, was to 'book me' for an upcoming Christmas party, of which stresses the importance of realizing every gig performance (and any unassuming video shot) is also an audition for the NEXT potential gig.

Hi Terry. Great to hear from you. Thanks for the nice comment about the vid. Interestingly enough, I was just thinking of you, as I warmly remember (deja vu) our shared anticipated excitement waiting for our Tyros1 keyboards to arrive that week, nearly 3 years ago. Wow how time flies.

ccdmax: Great to hear that your Tyros2 arrives this Friday as well. It's gonna be a very exciting weekend for us both.

Scott

#154139 - 11/02/05 12:49 PM Re: Video Clip: My Tyros1 Swan Song !
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Scott:

Like the video and especially like the way the MPP sits off to the side. It's not distracting at all

Bet you haven't got much sleep lately waiting for T2!!

#154140 - 11/02/05 02:18 PM Re: Video Clip: My Tyros1 Swan Song !
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Hi Terry. Great to hear from you. Thanks for the nice comment about the vid. Interestingly enough, I was just thinking of you, as I warmly remember (deja vu) our shared anticipated excitement waiting for our Tyros1 keyboards to arrive that week, nearly 3 years ago. Wow how time flies.

Scott [/B]

Scott,
I'm on board too and just ordered mine and hope to have it in a week. You're right deja vu all over again. :-)
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://www.musicchops.com/forums/

#154141 - 11/02/05 02:26 PM Re: Video Clip: My Tyros1 Swan Song !
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Scott,
nice video: I got word that Billy Joel is getting jealous...

#154142 - 11/02/05 02:32 PM Re: Video Clip: My Tyros1 Swan Song !
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Hi Scott... enjoyed the video. Nice job on the song. Next time I head out your way, I'll bring my camcorder, which has a stabalizer, and we'll shoot some. Looking forward to your T2 mp3s.

Glenn

#154143 - 11/02/05 08:41 PM Re: Video Clip: My Tyros1 Swan Song !
Shade of pale Offline

Loc: Allen, TX, USA
Hi scott,
Good rendition, love the rhodes sound, which Tyros style that you used for the song, if I may ask.....I'm also curious which style everybody else uses for this song on their arranger of choice, thanks!

tye

SD9, Audya5, Genos, Roland XP60, 2 Yamaha DSR12, 2 Yamaha Sub, 2 Turbosound 2000

#154144 - 11/02/05 09:14 PM Re: Video Clip: My Tyros1 Swan Song !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Shade of pale:
love the rhodes sound, which Tyros style that you used for the song

Tyros Style: Pop Bossa1
Tyros Voice: Galaxy EP

Thanks to everyone for the nice words. Interestingly enough, I personally didn't feel it one of my better performances, but I do credit the clip for subsequently landing me a lucrative Dec holiday gig booking. On another note, after re-listening to the clip, notice that the guy who recorded it, paused the recording in the middle (as evidenced by the annoying glitch) and then picked it up again near the end of the song. - Scott

#154145 - 11/03/05 07:36 AM Re: Video Clip: My Tyros1 Swan Song !
Shade of pale Offline

Loc: Allen, TX, USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scottyee:
[B] Tyros Style: Pop Bossa1
Tyros Voice: Galaxy EP

Interestingly enough, I personally didn't feel it one of my better performances,

Scott, thanks for answering, i do play this in Bossanova as well as 16beat sometimes. You might feel it's not one of your best, but I like the authenticity, the groove, and the loose feel (room to breath) in your playing, good performance!

tye

SD9, Audya5, Genos, Roland XP60, 2 Yamaha DSR12, 2 Yamaha Sub, 2 Turbosound 2000

#154146 - 11/03/05 07:56 AM Re: Video Clip: My Tyros1 Swan Song !
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Nicely done, Scott. And a well deserved round of applause.
Eddie

#154147 - 11/03/05 08:54 AM Re: Video Clip: My Tyros1 Swan Song !
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Well done Scott. Now, waiting for T2 songs
Chico

#154148 - 11/03/05 10:30 AM Re: Video Clip: My Tyros1 Swan Song !
SD_FAN Offline

Loc: São Paulo, SP / Brazil
Hi Scott....nice shirt!

Congrats! I really enjoyed the video.

Until T2
Armando

#154149 - 11/03/05 12:34 PM Re: Video Clip: My Tyros1 Swan Song !
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Scott

nice little video.
I enjoyed it a lot. Great singing and playing.

Next one will be on the T2......

Thanks for sharing.

Eric

#154150 - 11/03/05 05:08 PM Re: Video Clip: My Tyros1 Swan Song !
zalmi Offline

Loc: London, UK
Thanks ScottYee.

I've always wanted to see a vid of one of your performances, and I was impressed. It may not be one of your best performances, but your professionalism and 'oneness' with the music is very evident and musical. Incidentally it sounded to me that there was another instrumentalist playing (I was sure there was someone hiding somewhere on the side), because it sounds like a guitarist is playing some melodic accomp. in addition to your e piano (some of the time they actually seemed to mildly conflict with each other?) Where is that sound coming from?

Thanks for sharing. I loved it. Do you have any more?

Regards,

Zalman

#154151 - 11/03/05 06:13 PM Re: Video Clip: My Tyros1 Swan Song !
Scottyee Offline

Eddie, Chico, Armando, and all others. Thanks for the nice comments.

Quote:
Originally posted by zalmi:
your professionalism and 'oneness' with the music is very evident and musical.

Zalman. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by zalmi:
Incidentally it sounded to me that there was another instrumentalist playing (I was sure there was someone hiding somewhere on the side), because it sounds like a guitarist is playing some melodic accomp.

Zalman! Congratulations! you win the grand prize for observation. I was really beginning to wonder WHEN someone would finally NOTICE this. Indeed I included a guitarist with me on this gig. Though he's outside of the camera range, we was seated, & playing directly behind me. Because we had no chance to rehearse (last minute scheduling conflict), there was some difficulty in determining 'on the fly' whether he, I, or both of us, were to play melodic fills on this tune. One thing we must learn early in this biz, is that 'no matter what', you keep going, and don't let unexpected glitches throw you. The show 'must go on', and most of the time, the audience never notices. I think this video clip has effectively demonstrated this point, as considering all the other replies, you were the FIRST to point this out.

This leads me to an IMPORTANT point I'd like to make regarding live arranger keyboard performance. Here's what I've discovered. No matter how impressive our one man band arranger solo act may sound, the addition of even one other musician (or singer) in the act greatly enhances the audience's acceptance & appreciation of the act as a legitimate form of live acoustic music entertainment. There's a unique spontaneous musical exchange (energy) that occurs between musicians playing together which is absently missing in solo arranger kb performance. And it's this which separates a truly live band vs completely solo arranger keyboard performer, of which audiences (especially American audiences) have grown to expect in LIVE Band music entertainent.

Scott

#154152 - 11/03/05 07:15 PM Re: Video Clip: My Tyros1 Swan Song !
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Scott, I find the same thing is true when you take an additional singer along.

Graham

#154153 - 11/03/05 08:05 PM Re: Video Clip: My Tyros1 Swan Song !
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Kool, keep it up! T2!

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#154154 - 11/04/05 08:01 AM Re: Video Clip: My Tyros1 Swan Song !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by PraiseTheLord:
I find the same thing is true when you take an additional singer along.

Yes, 'especially', if it's an attractive female singer. - Scott

#154155 - 11/05/05 02:31 PM Re: Video Clip: My Tyros1 Swan Song !
zalmi Offline

Hi Scott,

It's interesting that you say this. A couple of weeks ago I was scheduled to play for a street party, which was organised fairly last-minute. The party was on a Sunday. On the Friday I get a call letting me know that a guitarist and drummer were also joining in. I didn't know who they were, but I quickly realised they were amateurs.

I had already agreed to a vocalist I hadn't heard before (never mind rehearsed with), but this was too far! I called up the organiser, and he told me to stop being such a pain, and 'just make it work'!. In the end, I didn't give in (because I've experience with these kind of arrangements, and I'ld rather keep a professional standard), so he told me he'ld get a different keyboardist, because everyone wanted a 'band'.

On the Sunday I turned up just to see whether I was right in my judgement. First off, the keyboardist could hardly play, the drummer was ok but not audible. The vocalist really saved the day, and it wasn't too bad overall (ie from a non-musical perspective), but believe me, the guitarist hadn't the slightest idea what he was doing! He was literally playing something completely different and inappropriate to the music. It sounded more like a beginner experimenting with some scales or something.

Anyway was I glad that I stuck to my guns, because although the atmosphere was great, I really don't think I would have been able to actually play with these people (I get very stressed when the music isn't perfect).

You say, "'no matter what', you keep going, and don't let unexpected glitches throw you".

That's true, but for me that's very hard, and until I can do that, I rather opt out of playing with somebody who I think will throw me off. One needs to be relaxed when performing, and if you have the option, I think it's better not to have distractions in the first place.

Seeing as you manage to keep your cool in such circumstances (although your guitarist wasn't THAT bad), maybe you could give us some tips on how to do that:-)

Also, do you think I was right to insist on playing solo?

Zalman

#154156 - 11/05/05 03:52 PM Re: Video Clip: My Tyros1 Swan Song !
Scottyee Offline

Zalman. I agree. We need to work with musicians we 'feel comfortable' playing with. I never include, especially 'on a paying gig' musicians I've never actually heard play, or rehearsed with, before. The only rare exception would be if I got a glowing recommendation about them from a fellow pro musician I've actually performed with, and knows what I expect.

As far as the guitarist on this specific gig in the video. We actually have worked together before, so I knew pretty much what to expect. I had originally booked a sax player for this gig, but he had to cancel last minute due to illness, leaving no time to actually rehearse with the guitarist. I emailed him charts 2 nights before, so all things considered, overall, I think it worked out well. The client was happy. I got paid with the promise of another upcoming gig booking. Performing (both interacting with the audience), and playing with other musicians, requires flexibility to bring out the best of the members of your band. The trick to performance success is also knowing how to read your audience and their mood, Once you do this, you'll have them in the palm of your hands. - Scott

#154157 - 11/05/05 04:13 PM Re: Video Clip: My Tyros1 Swan Song !
zalmi Offline

ScottYee,

Obviously that's the professional approach.

The client knows me from several years back, when I played more for fun and unprofessionaly, and I think he was thinking of me in that capacity even though I was charging him the going rate. I actually found it insulting that he was demanding it, but I couldn't communiacate that to him. I wrote him a letter now explaining that; we'll see what effect it has.

I'm glad your client was happy with your performance.

BTW, in that situation, would it not have been the best thing to allow the guitarist to do the melodic fills, whilst you controlled the accomp and sang - and leave the RH? Or did you not know when he was going to fill?

Zalman

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online