SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#153900 - 01/04/05 03:35 PM Can we all just get along?
SYNTH_GUY Offline

Loc: CT/NY, USA
After reading some of the posts and replies, I have come to the conclusion that if one doesn't agree with the majority or some of the veterans here, they’re in for nasty responses and their qualification gets questioned. Since when do you have to be qualified to base an opinion? I have experienced it first hand just because I gave my honest opinion. Isn't this forum here for everyone to give opinions and help each other on our musical journeys. I'm new as the Synth_Guy, but have participated and checked in on this forum for many years. Please, lets stick to what this forum is all about and that is giving our opinion and letting others know what our opinion is about a certain device, arranger, pro audio etc.. teaching others what they seek to learn. Lets not scare away newcomers or people that have different or modern ideas or opinions. As I stated on another tread after getting bashed for stating what I know as a musician, All of us give our opinion based on experiences in the music world we live in. Some play different types of music, others play for different types of crowds. We are all out there doing something we love and the rewards are greater than we sometimes acknowledge. To be able to please people, put a smile on their face, be the center of attention, feeling proud of yourself and make money at the same time. Does it get any better? Lets stop trying to make this a competition of who's who and so on and get back to what this forum is really about and that is helping each other.

#153901 - 01/04/05 03:58 PM Re: Can we all just get along?
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
I agree with you S-G.
I think some people on this forum should be a bit less thin-skinned. Some of the old timers here have patented the truth, and frankly that's why I stay away lot of the times. I know that if I speak my opinion and you offend (not in a personal term) some of the gurus you're in for some slamming. As far as the logitech thread, you got your ass chewed totally uncalled for, because you will not find anybody that requires true quality sound with power, to satisfy a descent size crowd, using PC speakers. But for nursing homes and cocktail parties they are probably ok. So is an acoustic piano, unamped.
But to stick with your topic, I hope the members here will not jump on everybody that differs ever so little from the mainstream, because things tend to turn very colorless/colourless then.

------------------
Roy-Andrè

#153902 - 01/04/05 03:59 PM Re: Can we all just get along?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
SynthGuy, coming from a long standing member here (joined Dec 1999 ), I for ONE do value your arranger keyboard & music related opinions, whether I agree with them or not.

Though I'll agree that there's somewhat of a 'good ol boy' mentality among some here, overall, the attitude among the membership has been (for the most part) cordial.

WAY BACK in 1999, when I started out posting here, I too was met with some rather nasty & condescending responses from a few of the even older vetran members here, but over time (and perhaps tenacity on my part) they grew to respect (or at least tolerate ) my opinions & posting style. SynthGuy, just continue sharing your ideas & opinions here in a FRIENDLY RESPECTFUL manner and I'm confidient you'll quickly gain respect among a select following here (including myself ). Welcome to the Synthzone Poster's club.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 01-04-2005).]

#153903 - 01/04/05 04:03 PM Re: Can we all just get along?
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Snyth_Guy....by way of your post, I know that you mean well, however, let me say that there is not a disscusion board anywhere in the world where the bickering does not exist
at least some of the time, it's only human nature...I am the admin for my own board for tourist in Cozumel Mexico and at times I've had to ban members from posting because of problems....don't dispair, just enjoy the board as best you can....if you want to check out my board, you can do so just click http://www.cozumel-hotels.net/yabbse/

#153904 - 01/04/05 04:09 PM Re: Can we all just get along?
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
Yeah, your right. They have thier own little group that's been posting for years and if you don't fit into it they tend to stop responding to you... The majority that post all have a common frame of mind and those who don't follow thier road get lost in the ditch...I'm happy enough lurking, sometimes they have some usfull info... And sometimes I venture a post, however, I learned not to post a thread but to respond...
DJ

#153905 - 01/04/05 04:52 PM Re: Can we all just get along?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Here's my two cents for what its worth...

I joined back in the Spring last year, right about the time I bought my first arranger. (A Tyros) I had several questions about them and even though I was a newcomer, I was impressed by the number of responses I recieved. It was in fact, the deciding factor which led me to purchase a Tyros.

I purchased the keyboard, speakers system, hard drive and case from another synthzone member all the way across the country. I got a better deal than I could get from a store closer to home. Trust me, I was a "lost ball in the tall weeds" when I started to learn the board, but quickly, from the help of others, I got up to speed nicely.

This board is a resource, pure and simple. The advice, suggestions, and flat out help would'nt have happened if I hadn't signed up and introduced myself. I've had one instance of a "real" problem with the Tyros and once I yelled, more help came running than I knew what to do with.

I've exchanged several emails with about 6 different members and found that method also to be a good resource for ideas, suggestions and support.

Do I like everyone's music that I hear on here? No, not at all...BUT, I certainly respect the skill with which it was produced. It works both ways-I'm sure there are some board members who thinks my stuff is pretty good...others who think its not so good. Its really not the point.

I've posted questions on the site that didn't get a response every once in awhile. Sometimes, the vets know that issue has been handled before and I 've learned to try & do a search before I post a question. If I don't get any responses, I don't take it personally. Maybe its a busy day for the regulars...maybe it was just a dumb question on my part, lol...

I've seen polite, respectful disagreement among all the so-called "vets" happen on a regular basis.

What WILL get someone's ass chewed, is if someone is rude, makes wild allegations or is overly harsh to someone who may not be as talented as some, but who have still put forth an effort to create some music.

Only a small percentage of us do this full time. On the other hand, some of the best stuff I've heard comes from a gentleman who is a doctor by trade, (Dreamer?) and does mind-blowing latin numbers. A certain openess comes in handy around here...Contributions can be songs, answers to questions or just friendly support.

This is NOT rocket-science, gang...be nice to people and it all comes together pretty good.

If you've had a bad experience, maybe consider a different tone or choice of words next time and see if you don't get a more positive response.

Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 01-04-2005).]

#153906 - 01/04/05 05:11 PM Re: Can we all just get along?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Boy do I agree with the thin-skin comment. People get so offended and take everything personally.

I made a brief comment the other day on a post about Jazz music being noise and did I ever take it on the chin. I'll never do that again.

I've said before that Uncle Dave can't carry a tune in a bucket and he never made one negative comment to me about it. He just takes it in stride. Maybe that's because he really can sing eh?

#153907 - 01/04/05 05:23 PM Re: Can we all just get along?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Scott, you speak as in past tence...there are still some of us that are still nasty to you...

BTW, How do we get in or out for that matter...of the "good old boy" group?
Do you have to be as old as Gary?
As arrogant as UD?
As speak your mind as DNJ?
As country as DonM?

Lighten up everyone, there is nothing wrong with anyone at SZ...and you can get all the help you need...sometimes without asking...even you Yammy guys..

The list of guys mentioned, are a great group to get together with and have a great time with....Now if DonM would only move closer to the Northeast..he would fit in perfect..especially when we EAT..

We don't always agree with each other, but we respect each other and know we have honesty and integrity...even though UD makes a lot of mistakes,DNJ will keep him in line..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 01-04-2005).]

#153908 - 01/04/05 05:34 PM Re: Can we all just get along?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Scott, you speak as in past tence...there are still some of us that are still nasty to you...

Fran, perhaps I've just developed a thick skin & quick reflexes to repeal those mosiquito bites. . . whack!

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

you can get all the help you need...sometimes without asking...even you Yammy guys

I don't need help. I just look in the Yamaha User's Manual - Scott

#153909 - 01/04/05 05:57 PM Re: Can we all just get along?
zuki Offline

Darn..I've read this entire thread - and so far..no bickering...what a disappointment
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online