SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#15367 - 05/17/00 05:32 PM The Equinox. Does it size up?
Chris Attison Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY.
I just an advertisement for the GM Equinox.
It boasts tons of programs, sampler, sequencer, etc. Has anyone purchased one yet or have at least tried one out? How is the sound? Does it have a flexible editing system?

#15368 - 05/31/00 07:12 AM Re: The Equinox. Does it size up?
Equinox61user Offline

Yes, I bought one a few months ago (the 61-key variant).

Pluses:
- Many, Many possibilities indeed, like the Drawbar mode (the 8 sliders can act as drawbars), Grooves and the Arpeggiator.
- It is flexible: You can do almost everything with sounds and performances, I did only use a tiny bit of all functionality so far.

Minuses:
- The OS is far from stable, I do not use MIDI but the main problems seem to be in the area of MIDI and the Sequencer. I did not have any problems with just recording songs, but others reported lockups etc. There will be a new OS released in a few weeks I believe.
- The system is somewhat slow.
- The screen is small
- The keys of the 61 and I believe also the 76 key version give a "plastic" feeling. The 88 key version has weighted piano keys.

About sounds: I did not hear any other sounds than only from GEM instruments (I used the WS, WX and S before). They are OK in my opinion, even the Piano, but most of the other users dislike the Piano.

Do I like the Equinox? Shortly: Yes, it is a dream of a machine with only a few flaws. But: I'm only a home-user, most of the users would use the MIDI stuff, I don't.

Success!

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online