SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#152705 - 09/15/05 11:20 AM Need midi help
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm trying something I don't know much about.
I am experimenting with a Ketron Midjay. I have attached via midi a Casio WK3000.
I have been able to start the styles, play the sounds and even change sounds. the pitch bend wheel and modulation work fine. Touch sensitivity works fine.
My question is: Is there a way to do more, such as used the fill buttons to activate fills on the Midjay. Are there more options on controller keyboards that are built for this type of thing?
Any help or experience would be appreciated.
DonM

#152706 - 09/15/05 11:42 AM Re: Need midi help
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Don. First of all, congratulations on your purchase(?!) of a Ketron Midjay. Your QUESTION: "Is there a way to do more, such as use the buttons (on the WK3000) to activate fills on the Midjay" is exactly the question I've been wanting an answer to as well.

The concept of a small arr module connected to a 76 note kbcontroler is especially appealing for both lightweight portability & having 76 keys. Unfortunately, accessing arranger functions from the Midjay itself seems (to me) awkward, especially since many of the Midjay's buttons are DUO FUNCTION, meaning you have to remember what function the specific button is currently assigned to before pressing it. This makes the ability to trigger arranger specific functions like 'fills' , 'variation changes' and 'intros/endings' directly from the Casio WK3000, or a keyboard controller which includes assignable arranger function buttons, that more IMPORTANT.

Realizing that Scott Langholff owns a Midjay, curious to hear from him (or other Midjay owners) about the success of acheiving this. Scott, are you still happy with the Midjay? Which keyboard(s) (Yamaha PSR3000, Tyros, or Ketron Midjay) are you planning to keep/sell?

ScottY

#152707 - 09/15/05 11:45 AM Re: Need midi help
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Don , there are other controllers that can assign cc definitions,,The good ones are over 40 lbs[M-Audio and Fatar]..The Roland controller has a few assignable controls also.....but, why not just keep Midjay within reach..

I have been thinking along the same lines as you...leave my WK3000 on the job[nobody wants to steal a Casio, right?], and carry a Midjay for all my MP3's , SMF's and realtime arranger styles...replacing a laptop on the job..

If I can setup a Midjay to transmit[in SMF mode] on multiple channels of my choice, to my external harmonizer..I am ready to go for it....

The backup ,if the Ketron goes down...just play the Casio..it has 255 of my sequenced material on a SM card and the flash memory is still avaiable..Actually the styles work well enough also..

This whole setup idea is for my band situation at the Jersey shore..

I still want to use my G1000 setup for solo work..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 09-15-2005).]

#152708 - 09/15/05 12:01 PM Re: Need midi help
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
I don't know how often AJ checks in on this forum, but if you contact him either directly or through the Ketron forum, I'm sure he could help.

Glenn

#152709 - 09/15/05 12:06 PM Re: Need midi help
to the genesys Offline

Couldn’t you assign some of the arranger functions like fills , variation changes and intros/endings to a foot switch?

Does the MIDJAY have a foot switch(s (and can you assign it or them to some important arranger functions?

I suppose that would be one solution.

#152710 - 09/15/05 12:23 PM Re: Need midi help
DonM Offline

Thanks guys--so Quick!
I do have the 6-button footswitch, but I haven't hooked it up yet, as I left it at the job with the SD1.
Scott--I didn't buy one yet, I'm using HankB's.
Fran,
So far I have the MJ setting right above the pb wheel, and it is actually quite easy to see and hit the buttons. I'm thinking that in conjuctions with the footswitches, that it will work, but I want to explore all options.
I thought I would quickly eliminate this thing, but wow, not yet for sure.
I'll keep you posted.
If I DO use the Casio, I would like to be able to use the piano and organs from it, but I think that will take some planning also, since I am triggering chord changes from it.
It seems to only trigger the changes when in Full Keyboard (Piano) mode. Maybe there is a way to assign the chord changes another way, so that when I hit the lower notes, they don't sound on the Casio.
DonM

#152711 - 09/16/05 03:51 AM Re: Need midi help
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
Don - There is also a 13 button Ketron assignable footswitch you can use.

I use the XD3 with a couple of controller keyboard (Fatar/Studiologic) which has assignable controls on it which is another option

Regards - Keith

#152712 - 09/16/05 07:35 AM Re: Need midi help
DonM Offline

Thanks Keith,
If I decide to go this direction and the 6-button pedal isn't sufficient, I may get the 13.
So far I've only had a couple hours to spend on this, but the early results are better than expected.
DonM

#152713 - 09/16/05 08:54 AM Re: Need midi help
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Don,
how do you compare the sounds of the Midjay with the SD1? Do the drums sound better or just the same?

#152714 - 09/16/05 11:11 AM Re: Need midi help
DonM Offline

I haven't plugged them in side by side, but to my ears there is no difference that I've heard so far.
DonM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online