SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#152212 - 07/21/07 09:24 AM Oops, what did I do to my G70?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
First time out with the G70, towards the end of the third set, I noticed that my right hand voices weren't sounding. I was busy selecting songs, but finally had to shut down and power back up to get the voices to play. I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with the keyboard, but with something I did - sliders, buttons, ???

Any ideas what I might have done so I can avoid it in the future?

As I get more familiar with the G70 OS, it gets easier to manuever around all its features. One of the things I'd like to do on the fly is adjust the volume of the right hand without affecting the arrangement or SMF. Using the balance dial doesn't do what I need.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 07-21-2007).]

#152213 - 07/21/07 04:47 PM Re: Oops, what did I do to my G70?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think I need a bit more information.. Did you change UPGs, or are you just playing 'free panel'? Did you mute the parts by touching the top icon accidently in the main mixer page (perhaps trying to touch a chorus send knob?), have you got any UPGs that link to MIDI Sets that turn the keyboard parts into MIDI send only? Did you move the sliders down thinking they were in Drawbar Mode? Do you have SMFs that control the Keyboard Parts? Are they from another Roland keyboard (do they contain sys-ex?) that you tweaked to control the parts?

There are several ways to do what you describe. Just try to remember the last thing you did the next time it happens..

#152214 - 07/21/07 06:34 PM Re: Oops, what did I do to my G70?
cassp Offline

Duh, huh? I thought I had everything under control. Maybe I went to a style control panel and pushed all the sliders up for full volume. Then...? Then back to the drawbars 'cuz I used them a lot. UP1 was on, I switched between full and split a couple times. None of the right hand voices were playing as far as I could tell. My guess is a slider or button. Those darn arrangements aren't as loud as my SMFs and I forgot how to cut out everything but drums and bass. Oh well, I learn or die trying.

------------------
Cass Pawlowski - Detroit
www.cassponline.com/

#152215 - 07/22/07 09:32 AM Re: Oops, what did I do to my G70?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
There is a simple SMF volume control in the Makeup Tools Global section that can turn up or down and entire SMFs volume in one go, and write it to the SMF. Plus the Makeup Tools are where you can write in Mutes permanently (unless you use the Music minus One section, which is global) to your SMFs if you want just Bass and Drums.

It is probably best that you bring your SMFs down to match the styles (easier than the other way around, I'd think!) so you can go from one to the other without having to mess around with sliders too much...

You might also think about if you have the Mastering compressor ON, if the SMF is very loud, it may 'duck' the keyboard parts to relative inaudibility...

The main thing might be to write yourself a 'startup' UPG that sets everything the way you want it, then you probably don't need to re-boot just to get the RH Parts back... Just call up the UPG.

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 07-22-2007).]

#152216 - 07/22/07 07:20 PM Re: Oops, what did I do to my G70?
cassp Offline

Very helpful, Diki. I've been thinking of a startup setting, but there seem to be so many things to set, I haven't learned all thaqt stuff yet. I guess I'll start my fourth reading of the manual tonight. Where do you guys learn all this stuff? Just when I think I'm getting up to speed someone starts spurting all this info I didn't even know existed. That's what makes this forum such a great place.

Thanks

------------------
Cass Pawlowski - Detroit
www.cassponline.com/

#152217 - 07/24/07 10:07 AM Re: Oops, what did I do to my G70?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Cass,
Two things to pass on to you.
I don't think anyone knows more about these G and E Roland keyboards then Diki unless it would be Fran.
I also am aware that there are a lot more answers and a place to post bug reports that are confirmed and then sent on to Roland. maybe you are already there as I am.
Go to: http://roland-arranger.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
Best regards,
Bebop

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online