SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#152080 - 09/25/06 12:45 AM New to arrangers. Some advice?
djay Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Hello All.
Im a singer/song writer who also happens to play keyboard. well, im learning. I got my hands on an old brokedown Korg i-3 for free and ive been messing with it. I know my keys and chords and finger placements etc. and i can play solo and also as an accompnist.

Im looking into buying a pro-arranger keyboard and was looking into the PA1xPro.
Heres the reason.

Im into East-Indian music and most keyboardists that i hire for my own gigs use that (PA1Xpro) and rave about the ease of use with a multitude of patterns and samples. For my own studio and music production i was wondering if 1x is the right keyboard for me.

thats one.

2. is renting a good idea before actually buying the stuff?

3. how easy is it? do i have to sit with a manual for months? or will i just play with the touch screen and get the basic functions right?

4. how easy it is to load samples off the computer into the HDD of the keyboard (Pa1X pro) and can i also load beat loops and use them as drum patterns?

i know im a little naive here and most of you guys are waaaaaaay ahead and im like a kid asking a grownup for advise here.
thanks in advance.

Djay!

#152081 - 09/25/06 01:18 AM Re: New to arrangers. Some advice?
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
pa 1x or T2.both have their pros and cons.but for easy song creation and styles that fit many songs the vote will go to Tyros.Pa has punchier drums and some sounds ,but tyros has SA voices which emulates real AC instruments with playing techinque.
But with Tyros you'll be writing songs,playing styles real fast. style and sound selection will also be faster in realtime.
PA has better seq,VH -mp3 and so on

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 09-25-2006).]

#152082 - 09/25/06 02:12 AM Re: New to arrangers. Some advice?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The Tyros 2 is one of the easiest to navigate from new, but if you wish to edit it, so as to make it exactly what you want, you will most likely have to use the supplied PC software and a computer.
Another advantage with Tyros 2 is that the amount of third party styles that are available off the shelf dwarfs any other manufacture.
The Korg takes some getting into but is extremely flexible, also the Korg can load Akai samples, (Which gives you access to the largest sample library on the planet) so it will be quite easy to add specific sounds.
Also have a look at the Roland G70 and the Ketron SD1, which are also in the same price range, and have there own advantages and disadvantages.
Regarding sound quality, forget about the technology used, and see which board suits your ears. (If third party styles/samples can be loaded, try these as well)
Finally, depending how critical this is to you, please remember that the Tyros 2 only has 61 keys, whereas all the other boards mentioned have 76 keys.
Hope this helps.

Bill

#152083 - 09/25/06 07:32 AM Re: New to arrangers. Some advice?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Djay,
I sell the PA1XPRO, the Tyros2 and the G70. You are correct that the Korg is the most often sold model at my store for customers wishing to mostly do Ethnic Music. Because Korg offers plug in boards that are being manufactured all over the world, specific sounds and loops are being made available. Also, because of it's ability to sync loops to styles and actually sample right on the keyboard, it lends itself the best for international music styles. There are also more ethnic drum kits availble then other brands of keyboards. As to it's ease of use, yes, you can learn it's interface very quickly for everyday playing, and when you want to get deep, it allows for this.
Also keep in mind that the PA1Xpro has 76 semi weighted keys compared to the 61 on the Tyros2. If you need custom tunings for your style of music, the Korg has a dedicated "tuning" button which allows for instand changes on any notes on the fly while you are playing and you can store 4 different tunning per style on the 4 one touch buttons.
Because I sell to so many middle eastern, Indian and other nationality musicians, I have found that the PA1Xpro has become the instrument of choice. The Tyros2 does allow you to load samples from a computer, but does not offere internal sampling as the Korg and you must adjust loop tempos, etc. in the computer and not be able to sync right in the keyboard as the Korg can do.
There are also not many ethnic sounds and only 1 middle eastern drum kit in the Tyros2 and there are dozens of ethnic sounds and several ethnic drum sets for the Korg. Korg offers a web site at www.korgpa.com where you can download free styles and sounds and the expansion boards are available in different countries with appropriate sounds for specific ethnic sounds and styles.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#152084 - 09/25/06 11:34 PM Re: New to arrangers. Some advice?
djay Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
thank you guys.

ive decided to rent the PA1XPro sometime nextmonth and play around with it for sometime prolly a month. Im preety sure im gonna endup with it. Ive gotta tell my girlfriend to start saving coz thatll be my birthday gift early next year. (she wants a ring in return! - which i will happily provide!) who lucked out on this deal!?
lol

thanks for the advice again guys...
really appreciate it.

Jay.

#152085 - 09/26/06 05:15 AM Re: New to arrangers. Some advice?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by djay:
Ive gotta tell my girlfriend to start saving coz thatll be my birthday gift early next year. (she wants a ring in return! - which i will happily provide!) who lucked out on this deal!?

Jay.

.... I think both of you did ... ... and you, perhaps twice !!!
t.

#152086 - 09/28/06 09:59 AM Re: New to arrangers. Some advice?
korg4god Offline

Loc: Dodge City, Kansas 67801
PA1x Pro.....the way to go.... I LOVE mine and I think you will too. If you're used to the layout and format of Korg keyboards then it will be fairly easy to adjust to it. Korgs have always used the same navigation systems. I also play some of the other high end Clavinovas (Yamaha) which are set up similar to the Tyros so I can get around on both. The real problem I have is that I use my PA1X for everything and only play a Clavinova a few times a year (MAybe say, at Christmas for a local bank's open house) and I always take a little to adjust from the touch screen to the buttons on the side of the display. I guess I'm just spoiled...

Jeff

Dodge City Schools -USD 443
Forte Music School

http://forte.musicteachershelper.com

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online