SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#151671 - 08/28/07 05:50 PM What is your FAVORITE feature?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I was on another forum, and the question was asked 'why do all the manufacturers keep dropping some of our favorite features?'. I thought about this for a bit, then I said 'Maybe because we spend all our time talking about things we DON'T like, and so little about what we DO...'

How do they know not to drop it when we don't tell them we like it?! So... Why not take a little time to describe what your favorite OS features on your arranger are, and hopefully, they might STILL be on the NEXT arranger your manufacturer makes...

#151672 - 08/28/07 06:02 PM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
An obscure feature to me is very important..

Patch remain..a feature that allows you to change a sound and have the previous sound hold till you play the new sound..A lot of boards[without mentioning brands] cut the patch off[very annoying]..

The other obscure feature is the proper allocation of voices[polyphony]..

I found Roland to be my choice for these features..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 08-28-2007).]

#151673 - 08/28/07 06:11 PM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Favorite feature: Super Articulated voices...it would be nice to see even more of them implemented in the future.

A Yamaha exclusive.

SA Harmonica and SA Violin/fiddle would be very cool.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 08-28-2007).]

#151674 - 08/28/07 06:20 PM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Keys of course: 61, 76, 88 .... who cares!

#151675 - 08/28/07 06:33 PM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
Diki Offline

Fran, completely agree with you about new Tones not cutting off old ones. Even some Roland WSs don't allow this, and it ruins their effectiveness as live keyboards...

Combine it with the use of the Sostenuto pedal, and you can do some quite complex things even with just one hand...

One of my favorites... Multi-button pedalboard inputs. I can't imagine using an arranger without one...

#151676 - 08/28/07 06:35 PM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Keys of course: 61, 76, 88 .... who cares!

Scott.... let it go, man, let it go....

#151677 - 08/28/07 06:47 PM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
ianmcnll Offline

Real time control knobs like the PSR-E403...would be nice to see these on the higher end arrangers...especially with the SA voices...cool!

Also to be able to assign filter and/or tone sweeps to the mod wheel(like the PSR-740), and/or to a foot pedal (volume type) as well.

Ian

#151678 - 08/28/07 08:12 PM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
the balance knob on my new roland e 80 that will balance the keyboard right hand voices with the accompaniement voices. This is the first keyboard I ever had it on and I think it is invaluable. That is just one of many things that come to mind.
Bebop

#151679 - 08/29/07 01:06 AM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
Wis Offline

The way I can edit and create styles on the
G70 to my own taste is very important for
me.

#151680 - 08/29/07 02:10 AM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
STAM Offline

Loc: Brussels, BELGIUM
A usefull feature I loved on the Pa80, was the ability to trigger a fill-in by the velocity on the lower part of the keybord in arranger mode.

#151681 - 08/29/07 03:09 AM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
An obscure feature to me is very important..

Patch remain..a feature that allows you to change a sound and have the previous sound hold till you play the new sound..A lot of boards[without mentioning brands] cut the patch off[very annoying]..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 08-28-2007).]

Good one, Fran...this feature should be on all brands.

Ian

#151682 - 08/29/07 05:09 AM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I agree with Fran on the hold tone function.

I also would like to see Aftertouch used more.

Yamaha calls it Superarticulation, but it's been around for years; The harder you press the keys, the patch changes from one sound to another. For example; take a standard piano sound, layer in a Rhodes with aftertouch and as you bang the keys harder you can accent certain musical passages with a Rhodes Bell Sound.

I'd like to see this used more.

Also, give me more REAL-TIME SLIDERS!!!!!!!

------------------
Al Giordano www.arrangerworld.com

Tyros 2, Yamaha P-250, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums, Roland SPD-S.

[This message has been edited by kbrkr (edited 08-29-2007).]

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#151683 - 08/29/07 08:54 AM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
Shade of pale Offline

Loc: Allen, TX, USA
The "Fill to half-bar" in the G70 is an awesome feature that I've never seen in other arranger.......But I only kept the G70 for 3 days only....

SD9, Audya5, Genos, Roland XP60, 2 Yamaha DSR12, 2 Yamaha Sub, 2 Turbosound 2000

#151684 - 08/29/07 09:51 AM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I'm sure most of you that have known me for a LONG TIME here have probably already predicted what I would say my favorite feature is:

arranger chord recognition: ROOTLESS CHORD VOICINGS

Over the last 8 years, I fought long and hard here to stress the importance for this. Back in 1999, only Technics & Yamaha arrangers included this 'modified version' of the distinctive keyboard chord voicings introduced & played by jazz legends Bill Evans & Wynton Kelly, but which has now become a standard style of keyboard accompaniment in blues & pop music as well, and a chordal style played by contemporary keyboard artists now: from Diana Krall, Jamie Cullum, to Elton John.

4 years ago, following my urged suggestions, Ketron 1st introduced arranger rootless chord recognition on the SD1, and only last year, Korg finally came on board as well, introducing this on their PA1X arranger. It seems now that (of the top arranger manufacturers) only Roland and GEM are left behind to (hopefully) finally come on board now.

As I've stressed repeatedly here, this feature is something that would be relatively simple to implement because all it requires is changing the values of the chord recognition table .

That said, one of the most rewarding experiences I've had participating on Synthzone is the gratification that some major arranger manufacturers (namely: Yamaha, Ketron, and now Korg) have actually listened to me and responded in kind, and I now want to express a sincere 'Thank You' to them.

- Scott

PS: If you're new to SZ and unfamiliar with rootless style keyboard chord voicings, simply perform a forum search on the word:"rootless"

Scott Yee Entertainment

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-29-2007).]

#151685 - 08/29/07 10:08 AM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
ianmcnll Offline

Scott,

I am very surprised to learn that Roland and GEM do not support rootless voicing...especially Roland who advertise their TOTL arrangers as "professional" instruments.

A big omission in my opinion.

Ian

#151686 - 08/29/07 11:19 AM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
Dnj Offline

Ketron Arranger lock, Bass lock & Drum lock

diki.....this looks very interesting almost like a CS feature......

a newer XD9 function called 2nd Lock. It does just what the other lock functions do.
Sixth is the Bassist on/off. I don't play good enough left hand bass to need this up top, but the way it works is extremely useful. With this function selected, the left hand play a manual bass line below the split and the right hand triggers the chord changes if you play more than two notes. After playing a three note chord you can then solo over it with your right hand without changing the chord until you play another three note chord. Absolutely not for beginners.

#151687 - 08/29/07 11:38 AM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
Diki Offline

Good suggestions, keep 'em coming..

Scott, I agree that having a manufacturer respond to your requests is VERY gratifying, and just one more example of WHY it so important to keep voicing your needs and wants publicly, even repetitively (they probably didn't implement your request the FIRST time you asked, did they? ).

Despite what the naysayers say, you CAN influence a manufacturer's R&D and future OSs and products, but only if you get involved, and make a bit of noise.

Donny, that feature (LH Bass, RH three note chord recognition) has been a Roland feature for years... It works well the other way around, too - comp or play lines in the LH, and only trigger chords when you play three notes or more. I use it all the time...

But once again, I'd like to remind all here, I started this thread to get ideas about what are our favorite features on our CURRENT arranger, not past models, just so our manufacturer doesn't drop them because they are unaware we LOVE them...!

Getting them to bring back OLD features, well, you know what they'll say about you if you go down THAT path...

#151688 - 08/29/07 12:48 PM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
My favorite arranger feature? speakers!

#151689 - 08/29/07 01:13 PM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
ianmcnll Offline

Speakers! Yes cassp...good one.

I hope the next Tyros has them built in.

Ian

#151690 - 08/29/07 01:28 PM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
#1. SD1 w 4.0 & SD1plus have a feature called "unplugged". Call up the sounds being used within a style, select a part, press 2 master volumne control buttons and that part is isolated. I mostly use it to isolate guitar parts. When you press a fill in or break, all parts come back on ....

#2. The "to end" button is extremely helpful. SD1 has 3 endings, but the "to end" feature will end any style with a 1 measure ending.
I wish we could "to end" midi files that are too long, without having to edit in software...

#151691 - 08/29/07 02:04 PM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
fave feature is that if i take my keyboard with me my wife will believe whatever i tell her about where I'm going.

------------------
Miami Mo

#151692 - 08/29/07 02:33 PM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:
fave feature is that if i take my keyboard with me my wife will believe whatever i tell her about where I'm going.

Not anymore, after we mail her this thread (with your post highlighted).

chas

#151693 - 08/29/07 02:34 PM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by keysvocalssax:

Souds that familiar to me....

[img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img]

Seriously though.

Any pro keyboard/arranger should have a button section where you can store midi settings for selection of other midi devices, like a good midicontroller keyboard.

Fred

#151694 - 08/29/07 03:03 PM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
cassp Offline

favorite feature #2 - dedicated piano, organ and arranger buttons, ala G70.

#151695 - 08/29/07 03:14 PM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
Diki Offline

But I wish they were customizable...

#151696 - 08/29/07 04:01 PM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
cassp Offline

And my most favorite feature of all...

those cute little pictures under the keyboard for the drum sounds - how professional!

#151697 - 08/29/07 04:09 PM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Best feature is:
Not loosing shed loads of money to get the latest sounds and features.

Bill

#151698 - 08/29/07 07:58 PM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles: Not anymore, after we mail her this thread (with your post highlighted). chas
chas, how do you happen to have my wife's email? does your wife know this? I'm afraid I will have to mail her this thread with YOUR post highlighted...

------------------
Miami Mo

#151699 - 08/30/07 12:28 PM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
Diki Offline

Here's a few of my 'must-haves'... (from the G70)

Multi button pedalboard inputs (FC-7). I can't play without these.

Makeup Tools. Best easy editing of ANY keyboard, not just arrangers.

The sliders.

Pianostyle Mode. (no chord trigger until you play 3 notes)

The HB (Hammond) section and the GrandX (piano). Best meat and potatoes of any arranger.

The V-Kits. Best drums of any arranger (in fact, the only kits I use!).

The Song Link, Lyrics Link, and MIDI set Link to UPG.

The bender. (but I'd LOVE a Pitch-strip, too!)

USB, and the Card Slot (much more robust than sticking a USB stick in a port).

The Touch Screen.

You know... Maybe it would just be better if the manufacturers somehow ASKED us before they drop a feature. THEN they wouldn't have to wait until it's too late to find out they made a colossal blunder. Just a thought...

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 08-30-2007).]

#151700 - 08/30/07 02:38 PM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
cassp Offline

Diki says - "USB, and the Card Slot (much more robust than sticking a USB stick in a port)."

I disagree. USB flash drives are so much easier to work with and cheaper. Look at how USB is handled on the PA800; right up front, convenient and safely out of the way.

#151701 - 08/30/07 02:39 PM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
cassp Offline

sorry - double-posted

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 08-30-2007).]

#151702 - 08/30/07 06:05 PM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
DanO, the marker feature on G70, E80 and Tyros2..can easily prepare a marker to end a SMF..also allowing you to mark a verse, chorus etc..It is super easy on a Roland[I never tried it on a Tyros2]..

Cass, I prefer the method on the G70 over the thumb drive...The card reader stays out of the way...Also the prices have dropped a lot for Compact Flash and Smart Media..as well..I also like the direct connection USB and locate the internal or external media device..

#151703 - 08/31/07 04:33 AM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
my favourite feature is 8 sliders and 8 knobs on my motif XS !!!!

sorry Diki but you didnt specify "favourite Arranger feature" lol

Nick

#151704 - 09/03/07 02:46 PM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
Swissman Offline

Loc: Moita, Portugal
For me, the patch remain feature (as mentioned by Fran) is a must on an arranger. I thought my Tyros 2 was not properly programmed as this feature is impossible on it, but this is the way Yamaha approaches keyboards (you can see my post asking help on http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/015786.html).

Other significant feature I've found on my G-70 as well, is the ability to use Make Up Tools to edit styles up to the drum instruments to be used (terrific feature).

I hope Yamaha will keep the multi pads and the use of folders to save own settings (registrations, styles, songs, etc.) on future arrangers.

My 2 cents...

[This message has been edited by Swissman (edited 09-03-2007).]

#151705 - 09/03/07 07:48 PM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
My absolute favorite, MUSTHAVE feature is:>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
the microphone stand!
Without it....I can't sing...and if I can't sing .... I don't want to work !

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online