SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#151681 - 08/29/07 03:09 AM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
An obscure feature to me is very important..

Patch remain..a feature that allows you to change a sound and have the previous sound hold till you play the new sound..A lot of boards[without mentioning brands] cut the patch off[very annoying]..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 08-28-2007).]

Good one, Fran...this feature should be on all brands.

Ian

#151682 - 08/29/07 05:09 AM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I agree with Fran on the hold tone function.

I also would like to see Aftertouch used more.

Yamaha calls it Superarticulation, but it's been around for years; The harder you press the keys, the patch changes from one sound to another. For example; take a standard piano sound, layer in a Rhodes with aftertouch and as you bang the keys harder you can accent certain musical passages with a Rhodes Bell Sound.

I'd like to see this used more.

Also, give me more REAL-TIME SLIDERS!!!!!!!

------------------
Al Giordano www.arrangerworld.com

Tyros 2, Yamaha P-250, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums, Roland SPD-S.

[This message has been edited by kbrkr (edited 08-29-2007).]

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#151683 - 08/29/07 08:54 AM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
Shade of pale Offline

Loc: Allen, TX, USA
The "Fill to half-bar" in the G70 is an awesome feature that I've never seen in other arranger.......But I only kept the G70 for 3 days only....

SD9, Audya5, Genos, Roland XP60, 2 Yamaha DSR12, 2 Yamaha Sub, 2 Turbosound 2000

#151684 - 08/29/07 09:51 AM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I'm sure most of you that have known me for a LONG TIME here have probably already predicted what I would say my favorite feature is:

arranger chord recognition: ROOTLESS CHORD VOICINGS

Over the last 8 years, I fought long and hard here to stress the importance for this. Back in 1999, only Technics & Yamaha arrangers included this 'modified version' of the distinctive keyboard chord voicings introduced & played by jazz legends Bill Evans & Wynton Kelly, but which has now become a standard style of keyboard accompaniment in blues & pop music as well, and a chordal style played by contemporary keyboard artists now: from Diana Krall, Jamie Cullum, to Elton John.

4 years ago, following my urged suggestions, Ketron 1st introduced arranger rootless chord recognition on the SD1, and only last year, Korg finally came on board as well, introducing this on their PA1X arranger. It seems now that (of the top arranger manufacturers) only Roland and GEM are left behind to (hopefully) finally come on board now.

As I've stressed repeatedly here, this feature is something that would be relatively simple to implement because all it requires is changing the values of the chord recognition table .

That said, one of the most rewarding experiences I've had participating on Synthzone is the gratification that some major arranger manufacturers (namely: Yamaha, Ketron, and now Korg) have actually listened to me and responded in kind, and I now want to express a sincere 'Thank You' to them.

- Scott

PS: If you're new to SZ and unfamiliar with rootless style keyboard chord voicings, simply perform a forum search on the word:"rootless"

Scott Yee Entertainment

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 08-29-2007).]

#151685 - 08/29/07 10:08 AM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
ianmcnll Offline

Scott,

I am very surprised to learn that Roland and GEM do not support rootless voicing...especially Roland who advertise their TOTL arrangers as "professional" instruments.

A big omission in my opinion.

Ian

#151686 - 08/29/07 11:19 AM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
Dnj Offline

Ketron Arranger lock, Bass lock & Drum lock

diki.....this looks very interesting almost like a CS feature......

a newer XD9 function called 2nd Lock. It does just what the other lock functions do.
Sixth is the Bassist on/off. I don't play good enough left hand bass to need this up top, but the way it works is extremely useful. With this function selected, the left hand play a manual bass line below the split and the right hand triggers the chord changes if you play more than two notes. After playing a three note chord you can then solo over it with your right hand without changing the chord until you play another three note chord. Absolutely not for beginners.

#151687 - 08/29/07 11:38 AM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Good suggestions, keep 'em coming..

Scott, I agree that having a manufacturer respond to your requests is VERY gratifying, and just one more example of WHY it so important to keep voicing your needs and wants publicly, even repetitively (they probably didn't implement your request the FIRST time you asked, did they? ).

Despite what the naysayers say, you CAN influence a manufacturer's R&D and future OSs and products, but only if you get involved, and make a bit of noise.

Donny, that feature (LH Bass, RH three note chord recognition) has been a Roland feature for years... It works well the other way around, too - comp or play lines in the LH, and only trigger chords when you play three notes or more. I use it all the time...

But once again, I'd like to remind all here, I started this thread to get ideas about what are our favorite features on our CURRENT arranger, not past models, just so our manufacturer doesn't drop them because they are unaware we LOVE them...!

Getting them to bring back OLD features, well, you know what they'll say about you if you go down THAT path...

#151688 - 08/29/07 12:48 PM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
My favorite arranger feature? speakers!

#151689 - 08/29/07 01:13 PM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
ianmcnll Offline

Speakers! Yes cassp...good one.

I hope the next Tyros has them built in.

Ian

#151690 - 08/29/07 01:28 PM Re: What is your FAVORITE feature?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
#1. SD1 w 4.0 & SD1plus have a feature called "unplugged". Call up the sounds being used within a style, select a part, press 2 master volumne control buttons and that part is isolated. I mostly use it to isolate guitar parts. When you press a fill in or break, all parts come back on ....

#2. The "to end" button is extremely helpful. SD1 has 3 endings, but the "to end" feature will end any style with a 1 measure ending.
I wish we could "to end" midi files that are too long, without having to edit in software...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online