SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#151565 - 01/16/05 09:36 AM II-V-I songs.
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA
Hello!

I have played guitar and sung for many years, and am pretty new to keyboard. I am working on getting fluent with left hand chords in all keys. At the moment I am working on switching vi-II-V-I changes to all keys. Am7 to Dm7 to G7 to C, for example.

Can any of y'all recommend some songs using these changes that will help me learn?

Douglas Wolfe

#151566 - 01/16/05 06:17 PM Re: II-V-I songs.
acctjm Offline

Loc: Eastern PA
"All the Things You Are"

#151567 - 01/16/05 09:41 PM Re: II-V-I songs.
FreeStyle Offline

Loc: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Saving all my love for you - Whitney Houston

#151568 - 01/17/05 05:48 AM Re: II-V-I songs.
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Satin Doll

Tom

#151569 - 01/17/05 06:05 AM Re: II-V-I songs.
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
"How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You" (James Taylor)has the ii/V/I pattern.
Eddie

#151570 - 01/17/05 06:21 AM Re: II-V-I songs.
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Douglas,you will find IIm7 V7 I progressions in just about all music. Sometimes you will find V7 I, (G7 C)or V7 (G7 Cm)without the I chord, I normally treat them as IIm7 V7 I progression.

Example: I am playing a song in the key of C major. In that same song I see a section that is dealing with C7 and F, (V7 I in F major)I think of that part of the song as being in the key of F major. If I see Em7 A7 (IIm7 V7) without the I chord, I am now thinking the key of D major. Whenever I see a IIm7 V7 I or just IIm7 V7, I consider that a key change in the song. The color tone and key center changes telling me to
#1 improvise using a different scale.
#2 Think of the chords used in the new key even if the progression contimues one or two measures.

Putting color into a IIm7 V7 I progression.
Example:
Dm7//// G7//// C////original -- replace with:

Dm7//// Db7////Cmaj7//// IIm7 bII7 I

Dm7 ////G7//Db7// C6

Just using a bII7 chord can add so much.

Have a great day, John C.

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 01-17-2005).]

#151571 - 01/17/05 11:38 AM Re: II-V-I songs.
flatfoot Offline

>>> BRUNO: ...you will find IIm7 V7 I progressions in just about all music. Sometimes you will find V7 I, (G7 C)or V7 (G7 Cm)without the I chord, I normally treat them as IIm7 V7 I progression. >>>>

Thanks to Bruno and to all who responded. Your advice is very helpful. I know something about what Bruno is describing. I have studied harmony and can work out the kinds of substitutions and scales that he is talking about - on paper. My challenge now is to develop the kind of fluency that piano players have, where you can handle these changes and subs and scales in real time. What I am requesting is songs that will help me with practicing.

I have been working on "Try a little tenderness" for the past few days. This song starts with a just-plain I-vi-ii-V-I progression. (Eb-Cm-Fm7-Bb). Then it goes into some very interesting substitutions that give this song its particular flavor. I have learned a lot by working through and developing my understanding of these changes. I can now work these changes in a couple different ways in real time. What I am requesting is this:

Can y'all suggest some other songs that will help me to practice these skills?

Douglas Wolfe

#151572 - 01/17/05 03:27 PM Re: II-V-I songs.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by flatfoot:
Can any of y'all recommend some songs using these changes that will help me learn?

Douglas Wolfe

Hi Douglas,
I am going to step out ---- looking for songs that have many chord changes is not the way to go. Hmmmm! I'll go back to my teaching days.

#1- Find a very simple song with three chords -- I V7 IV in C major C G7 F, play it until you're comfortable, then
#2- Play that song in all the keys around the circle of fifths. C F Bb Eb Ab ECT--
#3- When you're comfortable with that, go to a song that has four to five chords and do the same thing.
#4- Now go to the songs that have all those great changes.

It is not as much fun doing it this way but it gives you a skill that you'll use in all music. It also helps transposing a song to different keys.

When I made my move from guitar to keyboard, I learned to play the IIm7 V7 I Dm7 G7 C chords with my left hand. While the left hand played the chords my right hand improvised on the C major scale.
Repeat for the key of F --- G --- Bb --- D --ECT --

The IV chord and the IIm7 chord are closely related, sometimes inter-changeable.

Enjoy the day, it's what we have, John C.

#151573 - 01/17/05 08:19 PM Re: II-V-I songs.
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Doug, in addition to the other great songs already mentioned, here's a favorite I-vi-ii-V7-I Bobby Darin tune which I particular like performing, as well as practicing in all keys (thru circle of 5ths):

Beyond The Sea

A1 Section
Key:F
|I-vi|ii-V7|I-vi|ii-V7|
|I-III7|vi-V7|I-vi|IV-VI7|
|ii-V7|I-vi|II7|V7|

A2 Section
|I-vi|ii-V7|I-vi|ii-V7|
|ii-V7|I-vi|II7-V7|I-bI7|

BRIDGE
Key:A
|I-vi|ii-V7|I-vi|ii-V7|
|I-Imaj7|I6-KeyC:II7,V7|
|I-vi|ii-V7|I-vi|ii-V7|
F:
|ii-V7|

A3 Section
|I-vi|ii-V7|I-vi|ii-V7|
|ii-V7|iv-IV|II7-V7|I|

Scott

#151574 - 01/17/05 08:41 PM Re: II-V-I songs.
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I really admire you guys that play all in all the keys. Beyond The Sea is a great one but without the Trans button, I wander out of town. Body and Soul is another great ballad type that jumps keys. Without my favorite button, I never would have gotten it.

Eddie

#151575 - 01/18/05 03:52 AM Re: II-V-I songs.

Douglas, check your e-mail.

There are many ways to approach this subject.
Mine is:
Reduce evry chord in the song to it's simplest form. C7-9 = C7 Fm9-5 = Fm
G13-5+9 = G7 ECT--

1- Now it's very easy to memorize. Also very easy to find familiar progressions.The first time I saw the sheet music to the song More, I was able to play the song without the music. There are two types of progressions in the song and I knew them both -- ala, no music needed, I knew the melody.

2- Because I have learned the basic of chord subsitution, I color the song as I wish. The progression of chords should tell their own story, they should sound good by thenselves.

And of course the song has my own personal flavor. Is this hard to learn? No. Is it worth spending the time learning? Only if you love music and wish to spend time enjoying.

All in my humble opinion, John C.

PS,I use the original chords only to understand what is being said.

#151576 - 01/18/05 09:32 AM Re: II-V-I songs.
ykc Offline

Loc: Denver, CO USA
B
While learning typical progressions in context (in the actual song) is always vital and important, there is merit to practicing a certain skill - like the ii-V7-I - over and over again until it becomes second nature. Getting the feel of the movement from one chord to the next is important, too. The standard LH voicings were novel for their time but no longer are thought of that way. They really are standard today. They are also models of simplicity and efficiency. Getting even a few of them under your fingers will allow you to "play thru" sheet music with greater ease and sophistication.

There are many books that can help here, but one that I have found invaluable because it includes great sounding practice routines as well as real "in the context of a tune" exercises etc is Jerry Coker's Jazz Piano book. It is a classic - very slim and accessible and chock full of immediately useable stuff that will make a big difference in your playing.

Now...if I only would listen to myself...

#151577 - 01/22/05 08:56 AM Re: II-V-I songs.
flatfoot Offline

Thanks to all who responded to my query.

I feel as though you have allowed me to look over your shoulder as you perform the musical magic that you do. I have a long way to go before I will be able to handle all these changes and make it look easy the way you do. Now, thanks to you, at least I have the tools I need to get there. I sure do appreciate your willingness to share your wisdom.

Douglas Wolfe

#151578 - 01/22/05 08:59 AM Re: II-V-I songs.
flatfoot Offline

Thanks to all who responded to my query.

I feel as though you have allowed me to look over your shoulder as you perform the musical magic that you do. I have a long way to go before I will be able to handle all these changes and make it look easy the way you do. Now, thanks to you, at least I have the tools I need to get there. I sure do appreciate your willingness to share your wisdom.

Douglas Wolfe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online