SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#15115 - 01/01/02 02:17 AM New keyboard....hmmmm
jechilt Offline

Loc: ft meade, md, usa
Greetings,
As a beginner of beginner's, I read as much in all the posts as I can. My wife has made a good point that most of these boards are beyond my skill level. My response is these boards offer the challenge to grow into them.
That aside, the challenge of finding the right board is proving to be overwhelming. A lot of times, people's opinion are over features of capabilities I have no clue how to use. For me, keyboard feel and the ease of navigating through all the buttons and menu's are what make the difference.
I used to own a SK88PS. I sold it with the intent of buying another one one, but almost two years have passed and I have not gotten another board yet. Why? Too many decisions. I bought a TritonPRO and returned it because I realized I needed and arranger and the Triton was too advanced for me.
I looked at the PSR9000Pro but the keys were too light for my liking. I definitely want to stay in the 76/88 key range with a more real piano keystroke feel. My fingers have a heart for the GEM boards.
I am now looking at the Roland VA76, Solton SD1, and another SK880. Although I loved the SK880, I did not enjoy transporting this board. It barely fit in my car (the primary reason of looking for a 76 key board) and it's weight was...well, heavy! The VA76 and SD1 are much lighter.
Well, I suppose these boards are too advanced for me, but I am not sure what other boards on the market offer the sequencer, arranger, and keyboard package in a less advanced model and price.
So...the new GEM board is about to be released. Maybe I should wait. Then again, the big fear is with a board that is to be released with a goal of resetting arranger keyboard standards scares me from a monetary point of view. I would expect this board to top 3K USD? At least these other boards mentioned above can be found in the low 2K USD range.
I respect the opinion of those in these forums. Ultimately I make the final decision. However, I ask the question. Is it worth waiting for this new GEM board considering everything mentioned above?

thanks!
John

#15116 - 01/04/02 06:58 AM Re: New keyboard....hmmmm
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
I do not believe they will increase the price. If they do, how can they compete with other keyboards? Especially, now you can get sk880 powerstation, with memory upgrade new in a factory sealed box for $1600.

#15117 - 01/04/02 01:20 PM Re: New keyboard....hmmmm
jechilt Offline

Loc: ft meade, md, usa
thanks for the reply...
does anyone recall when the new boards might become available???

#15118 - 01/05/02 05:45 AM Re: New keyboard....hmmmm
vic83 Offline

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by sk880user:
I do not believe they will increase the price. If they do, how can they compete with other keyboards? Especially, now you can get sk880 powerstation, with memory upgrade new in a factory sealed box for $1600.

a dealer near me sells the WK8SE for $4000!I'm gonna have to call Gem for that!.

#15119 - 01/06/02 07:24 AM Re: New keyboard....hmmmm
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
you got to be kidding.

#15120 - 01/06/02 11:44 AM Re: New keyboard....hmmmm
vic83 Offline

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by sk880user:
you got to be kidding.

it's true,
that same dealer wanted to sell me a VA-7 for $5400 when it was released!funny isn't it?

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online