SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#150217 - 12/04/02 01:48 PM Hard drives for Tyros.....good prices
trtjazz Offline

Hi,
Ordered a 30 gig drive for my soon to arrive Tyros.....

30 gig 4200 IBM travelstar $93.56
40 gig $107........
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/produ...ategory_id=5087

Terry

#150218 - 12/04/02 02:14 PM Re: Hard drives for Tyros.....good prices
Lou Y Offline

Loc: NY USA
Terry,
Do you plan on partitioning your drive? I was in touch with Vince over at PSR World. He said that when you partition you could have all of you songs, OTS, and Registrations on there own partition. Do you know if there is any benefit to this??
Lou

#150219 - 12/04/02 03:32 PM Re: Hard drives for Tyros.....good prices
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hey Terry, looks like you scored yourself a better deal, $ per gig, oops , I meant $ per gigabyte than I did.

I just purchased the IBM TravelStar 20GB hard drive for $89. Even so, I doubt either one of us will ever even approach filling even 20GB worth of Yamaha data & midi files on our Tyros hard drives, eg: an 18 GB HD alone will hold over 12,000 (twelve thousand) worth of floppies.

Hi Lou , as far as paritioning the hard drive goes, I too was seriously debating whether to partition the hard drive or not.

Because the Yamaha Tyros HD access system ALREADY provides 'direct access' (via dedicated buttons on the kb itself) to specific file types: style, registration, song data files, etc., and also allows you to create 'mutiple levels' of sub directory folders, I really don't see any advantage to partitioning the hard drive into different sectors and storing different file types into those different sectors. Am I missing something here in my analysis?

Anyway, unless someone can come up with a convincing reason to do otherwise, I'm going to format the entire hard drive (via the onboard Tyros HD format utility command) as ONE partition. I'm interested in hearing from others on this.

- Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 12-04-2002).]

#150220 - 12/04/02 06:09 PM Re: Hard drives for Tyros.....good prices
Lou Y Offline

Scott
I'm not too familiar with Yammie boards and I never had a board with a HD so this to me is a little confusing...

As per Simon
Quote:
The Tyros actually reads harddisk partitions also, but cannot partition a drive so you need to partition and format the drive either on a 9000/9000 pro or using a PC.

As per Scott
Quote:
I'm going to format the entire hard drive (via the onboard Tyros HD format utility command) as ONE partition.

------------------
Lou

[This message has been edited by Lou Y (edited 12-04-2002).]

#150221 - 12/04/02 06:51 PM Re: Hard drives for Tyros.....good prices
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Lou,

As Simon clearly states, it is NOT possible to create multiple partitions of the Tyros hard drive via the Tyros itself. The ONLY way to create multiple partitions is by installing the hard drive into a PSR9000, 9000pro, or connecting it up to a PC via an 2.5" IDE adapter connector. The Tyros formats the hard drive as a SINGLE partition.

Frankly, I see NO ADVANTAGE to creating multiple partitions in the Tyros hard drive as per my explainations above, and the hassle of having to do this via a PSR9000, 9000pro, or PC with special adapter connector, makes it inconvenient as well.

If there's really a convincing reason to create multiple partitions on the Tyros hard drive, I'll certainly re-consider, but I haven't heard ONE yet. Anyone want to convince me?

Scott

#150222 - 12/04/02 07:14 PM Re: Hard drives for Tyros.....good prices
trtjazz Offline

Lou,
The non mumbo jumbo, ducks and chickens so I can understand it is this.

It's like having a one drawer (partition) file cabinet with different folders in it, or.....a 3 or 4 (or whatever) drawer (partitions) filing cabinet with different folders in each.

So if using one drawer as I intend to, I might have 3 folders in it....ie., styles, registrations, midis.

Hope that makes better sense.
jam on,
Terry

#150223 - 12/04/02 10:39 PM Re: Hard drives for Tyros.....good prices
MR Bulk Offline

Loc: Mililani, Hawaii, USA
Now waitaminute, you have to buy the hard drive for the Tyros too? And I only found out today about the speakers that do not come with it either...

------------------
Regards and Aloha,

Charlie
http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/MR_Bulk/index-1.html

Charlie
http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/MR_Bulk/index-1.html

#150224 - 12/05/02 03:27 AM Re: Hard drives for Tyros.....good prices
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MR Bulk:
Now waitaminute, you have to buy the hard drive for the Tyros too? And I only found out today about the speakers that do not come with it either...

Charlie,
Yeah.....and no popcorn makers on the US models either.
Terry

#150225 - 12/05/02 07:29 AM Re: Hard drives for Tyros.....good prices
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
The Tyros has a decent sized User flash Memory, unlike the PSR9000 & 9000Pro. This is large enough for most average users.
Another feature is if you play someone else's Tyros,you can play your Registrations direct from floppy without having to load in and upsetting the other persons settings.

Graham UK

[This message has been edited by Graham UK (edited 12-05-2002).]

#150226 - 12/05/02 05:26 PM Re: Hard drives for Tyros.....good prices
Lou Y Offline

As per Terry
Quote:
The non mumbo jumbo, ducks and chickens so I can understand it is this.

It's like having a one drawer (partition) file cabinet with different folders in it, or.....a 3 or 4 (or whatever) drawer (partitions) filing cabinet with different folders in each.

So if using one drawer as I intend to, I might have 3 folders in it....ie., styles, registrations, midis.

Hope that makes better sense.

Hey Terry,
Yes that clarifies the situation. I too like simplicity, and I believe Scott feels the same. I guess that settles that. Thanks much...
Lou

[This message has been edited by Lou Y (edited 12-05-2002).]

#150227 - 12/05/02 08:12 PM Re: Hard drives for Tyros.....good prices
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Hey Scott, I just checked my SMF library..170,685 files , taking up 6.01 gigs on my hard drive...I think 20 gigs will last you for a while...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online