SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#150132 - 06/28/06 10:14 AM Re: Can we make one simple test?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
I think the easiest way to look at the Mediastation, is to treat it as a controller keyboard and computer, (In one box) therefore what sounds you get out, will be totally dependent on what instruments THE USER loads in. (Like virtually all computers it has its own internal sounds, but whether you use them or not, is down to user preference)
If you look at it from this point of view, it should make it easier to understand.
Hope this helps.

Bill

#150133 - 06/28/06 11:02 AM Re: Can we make one simple test?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
---------------------------------------------
treat it as a controller keyboard and computer, (In one box) therefore what sounds you get out, will be totally dependent on what instruments THE USER loads in. (Like virtually all computers it has its own internal sounds, but whether you use them or not, is down to user preference)
---------------------------------------------

Well said, you couldn't have put it any better. This board lets you add what you want (isn't this what a lot of us have been asking for as well), plus it comes with decent sounds, but the power is adding what you want. It's a computer with a killer controller (that has ARRANGER functions).

With the Mediastation couldn't you essentially load in VST's and substitute those great voices into the styles be it user or preset?

There's just so many possibilites with a keyboard like this.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#150134 - 06/28/06 12:40 PM Re: Can we make one simple test?
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
But one year ago you WERE trying to sell us on the Mediastation, and it wasn't ready......... It's an uphill battle to tell us the thing is "much stable" now, (do you mean 'much more stable' or 'completely stable'? This is why you need English speakers.....) and have us completely believe you.

I've yet to see any high end keyboard that was completely stable and needed no OS updates out of the box. I previously owned a Yamaha 9000 Pro and the early software versions were absolutely atrocious. I didn't see people bashing Yamaha for releasing a keyboard that had numerous bugs and believe me the 9000 Pro wasn't the only product Yamaha released that had serious problems. The reality is almost every manufacturer releases a product knowing full well there are bugs in the software. Manufacturers hope the end user will never find the bugs and most often that is the case. Its when bugs are found that the true test of a manufacturer is at hand. What sets manufacturers apart is their ability to support future software and bug fixes and listen to their end users. So far Lionstracs has done an excellent job updating the Mediastation and Domenik is continually working on new software, sounds, and features which is more than Yamaha ever did for me. The Mediastation is by no means unstable and I've yet to have a problem with mine.

The main reason to own an open ended keyboard is that it can load and play sounds and software from many other companies greatly expanding your sound and style palette. Unlike a closed system where you are fixed to what the manufacturer decides most people want and many times those sounds are weak. The Mediastation has some great GM/GS sounds and some that I consider average but that holds true for any keyboard. If you judge a keyboard simply by GM/GS sounds which I think are horrible in most keyboards, you are definitely limiting yourself. When was the last time you purchased a keyboard where every sound was incredible?

I personally love my Wersi Abacus Duo Pro and Lionstracs X-76 because I can make them sound like whatever I want. If I need better strings, pianos, or drums, I simply load new samples in. Its not until you spend time with an open ended keyboard that you realize the incredible potential they have. So far I've not seen or heard any other arranger or workstation that has been released that has the same capabilities as the Wersi or Lionstracs. Korg did a very good job with the Oasys but it lacks most of the abilities of the Wersi or Lionstracs. If Korg would incorporate the features of the PA1X Pro into the Oasys and expand its sequencing and recording capabilities, then they'd have a serious contender on their hands. Who knows if Korg will ever consider doing so?

I know I've posted this before but I stress that unless you've personally heard a Wersi or Lionstracs in person you can't understand how good they truly sound. My suggestion, try and hear one in person rather than postulate what it sounds from an MP3 demo which can't convey what the instrument truly sounds like.

#150135 - 06/28/06 12:47 PM Re: Can we make one simple test?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Domenik, I didn't get to hear your test files before the links were removed. Could you repost those links again for those that didn't get to hear them?

#150136 - 06/28/06 12:49 PM Re: Can we make one simple test?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Ensareyou,
I totally agree with you. That's the whole purpose of an open ended keyboard. That's what makes the Mediastation such a good product in my opinion.

Yes Dom and his crew have done a great job at fixing problems too.

Seriously guys talk to Dom, you'd be surprised at what he'll sell you one for.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#150137 - 06/28/06 02:44 PM Re: Can we make one simple test?
Spalding1 Offline

Loc: birmingham,england
right now that we have all settled down can you do this simple test for me Dom. Pick the same midi file that you chose originally and this time instead of using GM sounds, substitute them with the best VST sounds that you have available. Then let us see how it sounds . Then i suggest the rest of us use the same midi file and substitute the sounds with the most suitable sounds that we can find through the manufacturers stock sounds or the best samples that you have bought or imported on your korg,roland, yammy, ketron, genesys keboard and post them here. The boast of the " open system" and the freedom to choose from the best sounds around has been the unique selling proposition of liontracs {and wersi} since i first came accross it. This simple test should demonstrate to everyone whether this boast has any substance in it at all. Does access to all the best sounds from separate manufacturers equate to a better sounding musical ensemble than the existing capabilities of proprietory "closed" systems. Does this seem like a reasonable test ?

#150138 - 06/28/06 11:35 PM Re: Can we make one simple test?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
A good idea, but the instruments chosen will be the player’s personal choice, and may not be yours. (Just like some people prefer a Steinway Grand, were as others prefer a Bosendorfer Grand)
Also, you may not be aware of this but a lot of the scores in films these days are not played by orchestras, but are done in the studio with a keyboard and computer, using VST instruments and samples from various manufactures.
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

#150139 - 06/29/06 01:14 AM Re: Can we make one simple test?
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
Posted again on TOP the test files in question.

I will only records from GM/GS mediastation soundbank, I donn't care to promote the other company with the VST and Giga.
You can records yourself and test in your PC, because we know well how this plugins/giga are working.
If we start with VST/giga, then the possibility are infinitly....

#150140 - 06/29/06 06:55 AM Re: Can we make one simple test?
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
I have refrained from posting to a Lionstracs topic before now - This is because before long the topic starts to turn into a holy war. However - I'm very pleased to see that certain people have now decided to continue with this post and I admire them for being big enough to put their differences behind them.

I for one would love to see a Mediastation type open solution that gives me all the quality and features I currently need but can be expanded to give practically anything that I may require in the future.

I think the concept is great - VST instruments and effects are fantastic and the multi sampled Giga sound libraries are amongst the best. But - I dont want to cart around a laptop and have to build the system myself. I have read Frank R's writings with interest and was even tempted to go down that route myself but I'm no techie and I'd probably strangle myself with a midiyoke - I just want to sit down and play.

However - I'm also a very safe guy and all the chatter that has gone on using words like "unstable" or "almost there" really worries me. I personally need to see a number of endorsements before I splash out on a Mediastation.

So I wish Dom good luck - It can't be a lot of fun trying to compete with the big guys with all their advertising budgets but if they all stick their heads in the sand the MediaStation could emerge a real winner and leader in this hybrid keyboard/PC approach.

Lionstracs probably haven't got a UK distributor so it is really difficult to see, hear or play their product unless I go to Frankfurt for the musikmesse.

If what Dom says is true and some of this forum's members are now owners then I would gladly visit any of these who are in this country to see for myself.

Keep up the good work Dom

Regards - Keith

#150141 - 06/29/06 09:09 AM Re: Can we make one simple test?
richard_shiflet Offline

Loc: Greenwood, SC -USA
Keith,
I agree with you statement "I for one would love to see a Mediastation type open solution that gives me all the quality and features I currently need but can be expanded to give practically anything that I may require in the future.

I think the concept is great - VST instruments and effects are fantastic and the multi sampled Giga sound libraries are amongst the best. But - I dont want to cart around a laptop and have to build the system myself. I have read Frank R's writings with interest and was even tempted to go down that route myself but I'm no techie and I'd probably strangle myself with a midiyoke - I just want to sit down and play."

As a matter of fact that was exactly how I felt when I began asking questions on this forum about soft synths. From a conveneince stand point I liked the idea of an "all in one" vs. a componet system for live performance.

I can definitely say that the Mediastation has not disappointed me at all!
It is completely stable as I have performed on it live about 9 or 10 times with no problems, other than trying to see the screen outdoors in bright direct sunlight.

The X88-Pro plays great and sounds great. I like the Steinway B1 giga piano best.

I wish there were more places to try it out, but if any SZ member wants to visit me in the U.S. I would be glad to demo the Mediastation for them. Maybe I can make the next SZ Jam in my area as well. I live in SC.
Richard

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online