SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#149289 - 09/22/01 03:08 PM Need advice as well as suggestions about this General Music keyboard! Thanks!
ComposerRyan Offline

Hi everyone. My name is Ryan, I'm new here and I justed wanted to say that I'm glad to be a part of this forum!

I am posting out here because I have been doing some research on many synthesizers/workstations/midi controllers and I have taken great consideration in specifically one of them: the General Music Equinox.

The Equinox is not only a synthesizer, it is also a workstation, organ, midi controller, and sample player all in one. So far, this one stands out more than the rest simply because it includes everything in one, and is even expandable - with a PC connection allowing the Equinox to be used a master controller keyboard in order to manipulate samples in programs like Gigastudio!

So, like I said, I've been looking for a keyboard for a long time now. The main reason this keyboard intersts me is because it looks as if it could last forever since it can be easily expanded.

So, what do you guys think about it? Before you say anything, here is a picture of the Equinox keyboard made by General Music:

You can find out more about the Equinox at General Music's website which can be reached at: www.generalmusic.com

Also, I've heard that General Music is going to possibly release a new workstation with a CD Burner included. If this is true, I am going to be patient and see what this new workstation offers! But does anyone have anymore information on this new General Music keyboard?

Well, I'm looking forward to hearing your comments and opinions about this keyboard. Thanks for taking out the time to listen!

Sincerely,
Ryan

ALSO, PLEASE BE SURE TO VISIT THE WEBQUAD NETWORK AT:
http://www.webquad.com

CONTACT ME AT:
composerryan@webquad.com

#149290 - 09/22/01 05:05 PM Re: Need advice as well as suggestions about this General Music keyboard! Thanks!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Ryan,
You'll get more response from the "GENERAL" section than this forum. This board is for players of auto arranger keyboards - The kind with drums and backing patterns built in. Some of us know alot about other synths, but the board is more specific to each type of unit.
Also try posting under
"GeneralMusic Keyboard Discussion"
(the BRAND name - not the catagory)
I know it's confusing because of the name.

BTW - I've fiddled with the Equinox, and I find it to be loaded with features, but a bit weak on sound quality..... Personal preferance, of course. (You'll get LOT'S of that here )

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 09-22-2001).]

#149291 - 09/22/01 06:54 PM Re: Need advice as well as suggestions about this General Music keyboard! Thanks!
vic83 Offline

Loc: Florida
//BTW - I've fiddled with the Equinox, and I find it to be loaded with features, but a bit weak on sound quality..... Personal preferance, of course. (You'll get LOT'S of that here )//

that is the best discription for Gem's Keyboards!

#149292 - 09/22/01 09:30 PM Re: Need advice as well as suggestions about this General Music keyboard! Thanks!
ComposerRyan Offline

Thanks a lot for the replies. Like you said, I posted under the General Music Keyboard discussion, and I am anticipating a response.

But thank you for responding so soon. Right now, I'm in the process of reading the Owner's Manual about the Equinox Keyboard and I am very fortunate to have a local music store close by...It has the Equinox on display where you can play it, but when I tried it, is was not properly connected to an amplifier, so I'm going to go there again and try to see if I can have someone hook it up properly!

So, I noticed that you said the Equinox was weak in sound quality. What voices of the Equinox have you tried? And which keyboard compared to the Equinox sounds better to you?

I'll let you know what I think of the sounds when I get the chance to play the Equinox myself - which I am so excited about!

Well, thanks a lot for the replies and comments!
Ryan

CONTACT ME AT:
composerryan@webquad.com

#149293 - 09/23/01 12:35 AM Re: Need advice as well as suggestions about this General Music keyboard! Thanks!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Ryan,
I don't mean to give you a short answer, but I can usually tell in five minutes if I am going to buy a keyboard or not. The entire Gem line leaves me flat in about two minutes. It's just not my cup of tea. The overall tone does not stimulate my creativity. They have some nice features, but if they sound bad...what's the point?
Play for yourself and decide that way - don't listen to me, because I don't like the sound.

#149294 - 09/23/01 07:13 AM Re: Need advice as well as suggestions about this General Music keyboard! Thanks!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Hi,
I've owned many synth/workstations along with arrangers and I think the Equinox is a good keyboard with a great deal of useful features. The biggest downside of heard about the machine is that it has a very poor sequencer and many users have run into problems with system failures and lockups. Check out Harmony Central. There are a lot of good reviews on this machine there.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#149295 - 09/23/01 02:03 PM Re: Need advice as well as suggestions about this General Music keyboard! Thanks!
ComposerRyan Offline

Thanks a lot for the comments everybody!

Uncle Dave, I completely agree about a keyboard's sound quality - for it is the number one thing that I am looking for in a keyboard. Also, I'm not sure if I've told you this, but I have a local music store who has the Equinox on display - I am very fortunate to have the opportunity to go there and play it and try it out, and I'll be sure to let you know what I think of the sounds when I get the chance to actually play it!

Squeak D, thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to read the reviews at Harmony Central, that is a very good idea. And about the sequencer, I've read about it at General Music's site (www.generalmusic.com) where they give you the chance to read the actual owners manual of the Equinox. I read mostly on the most important features so I'll be prepared to play it at my local music store - which I can't wait to play it! The sequencer sounded confusing at first, but then I got the hang of it as I read more into the instruction manual. However, I was confused about one thing, and if you don't mind, I'm going to ask you a question. Can you change the track's sound that you are going to record to BEFORE you record? Because in the owner's manual, it said to change the sound after you record into the track...but I might be possibly wrong about that.

Well, thanks for your comments, and if anyone else has any comments about the Equinox, feel free to post a reply!

Thanks,
Ryan

CONTACT ME AT:
composerryan@webquad.com

#149296 - 09/23/01 03:08 PM Re: Need advice as well as suggestions about this General Music keyboard! Thanks!
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Ryan,
BTW - I've fiddled with the Equinox, and I find it to be loaded with features, but a bit weak on sound quality..... Personal preferance, of course. (You'll get LOT'S of that here )

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 09-22-2001).]

I agree with you Dave about the sounds, but don't you think that GEM still has the best layout/technique onboard?
They were way ahead on the competition when the wk series and equinox came out...And are still today! I really hope that the new boards come out with more "lively" and "deeper" sounds. If that's the case I definately will purchase one of them, as I still love the easy get around and numerous possibilities.

In sound; There's only one way to go: K 2600!

#149297 - 09/23/01 03:42 PM Re: Need advice as well as suggestions about this General Music keyboard! Thanks!
Jupiter5 Offline

Ryan,

Hello there

I hope you give us a report on the GEM when you've tried one out. However, A keyboard that springs to mind (when looking at your requirements/needs/Expansion etc, is the Yamaha Motif. This is not an arranger keyboard either BTW. It is very good value for money if you compare it to the Triton (for example), which is in its 3rd year or so now. There is a video of the motif for you to listen to as well, and goes quite "in depth".

Stevie Wonder used one tonight-on TV for the "Tribute to heroes". If It's good enough for Stevie Wonder....you've got to get serios about this motif.....

I am thinking of buying another keyboard soon Ryan, and Motif is quite high on the list I can tell you (I already have a KN6500 BTW). I might sell my sampler (Yamaha A4000) and part exchange it for the Motif - because it has a built in sampler as well - that puts most (if not all) other Sample Keyboards to shame (Triton for one). Don't mention Yamaha 9000 - terrible!

You MUST go by your own ears Ryan (even if positive advice does help a little - and negative ones as well. The same person who said "Play for yourself and decide that way - don't listen to me, because I don't like the sound" ...is also the same person that HATES the Piano on the Technics KN5000 - which I love!!! (Ain’t that right Dave )

I don't like Yamaha Piano's, others love them. I think Yamaha 9000's styles are poor - others love them. And so on.

As regards the Sounds of the GEM, I saw the specs, which said it had 16 MB of WAVE ROM - and by today’s standards - that is quite small - if not very small. The Motif by Yamaha has 65MB ROM....big difference hey? - Not half! More ROM = Better quality sounds (in general). With more ROM on a Keyboard, you will find more sounds for a start - quality sounds that is. Yes, I know a Keyboard that costs $300 - and has loads of sounds - but they sound …well…. awful!

It’s not essential Ryan, but try and pick a keyboard that has more onboard ROM than 16 MB that’s just my opinion though. My KN6500 came with 65 new sounds - with 16 MB of ROM just for these sounds! - Better having 65 Absolute crackers than a few hundred "So-so" sounds

Happy shopping Ryan

Jupiter 5

#149298 - 09/23/01 10:08 PM Re: Need advice as well as suggestions about this General Music keyboard! Thanks!
ComposerRyan Offline

Thanks everyone for the help - I really appreciate it!

I agree with many of you - the sound quality of a keyboard is the most important thing. And like you said, I will let you know what I think of the Equinox's onboard sounds when I get the chance to play it!

So far, I am very impressed with General Music's keyboards, but I do have to admit - like Jupiter 5 pointed out - that the Equinox only has 16 MB of ROM for its voices. I compared that to many of the other keyboards and noticed that they had a much higher ROM, like 64 MB.

I know that the ROM plays a very important role in the production of the sound when playing the keyboard, but still I'm going to have to see what the Equinox sounds like by trying it out myself (which, like I said, I'm really excited about! )

I've heard about the MOTIF created by Yamaha, and it does look impressive. I'm going to take your advice, Jupiter 5, and look at that keyboard as well. There are so many keyboards out there, it is hard to narrow it down to just that one that is right for you.

Freddynl, the General Music keyboards are awesome! I first found out about them, of course, through my local music store, and from there I've looked at them and have found them to be astonishing with MANY features that other keyboards do not have.

When I visited my local music store, I did not get the chance to play the Equinox, but I did get to play another model (I think it might have been the PRO 1, not sure though ) and I was very impressed with its sound quality, especially the strings and piano!

Well, thanks a lot everyone for your helpful replies and feedback! Looking forward to hearing from more of you soon!
Ryan

CONTACT ME AT:
composerryan@webquad.com

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online