SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#149175 - 08/12/02 10:01 AM Sequencer, Work Station????
xaxibao Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, Ca, USA
I am new to this area so I have some stupid questions to ask. Hopefully someone will enlighten me and get me understand more.
What is a sequencer? What do you use a sequencer for? If I want to have an arranger that I can program the styles by myself, do I need a sequencer?
What is the difference between an arranger and a work station?
Thanks

#149176 - 08/12/02 10:13 AM Re: Sequencer, Work Station????
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
that's not a dumb question at all.. The sequencer allows the user to record their own compositions.. Sequencers generally give you 16 tracks to record on.. Allowing you to build a song track by track. The tracks can then be edited by panning, volume, effects setting and so forth. Having a style sequencer is just another way of recording.. Some keyboards use the last 9-16 tracks of the sequencer for style recording (again this varies by make and model) Arrangers and workstations have some pretty big differences. The arranger is primarily geared toward the performing musician.. Or the "one man band" so to say. Workstations can be used for this as well, but are a little more complicated when it comes to sequencing.. Arranges make it a lot easier.. Workstations also have sequencers, but they do not have the arranger or accomp. mode... Where as the arranger will follow your chord changes, the workstation does not. With a workstation you record "everything" from scratch... However some workstations are now including preset drum patterns (but they are not set up like and arranger) You'll find that workstations are generally used in bands. Workstations can be used for live performance of just one player, but it takes more work to sequence the performance, and set up the "user" performance. When you sequence with and arranger you basically pick the track, choose a sound, and press record.. Almost all workstations use what's called performances for recording.. Each performance consists of 16 parts which inturn translate into "tracks" when recording.. The performance can be used for live play or used when recording. My suggestion is go to a local music store and check out the arrangers and workstations.. If the store associate knows his or her stuff they can give you a demo of the keyboards showing you the differences between the boards...

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online